Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomguy #876

What is the holy grail of Doom collectibles?

One of the trophies from the 20th anniversiary Doom2 challenge?

Or the Ferrari Thresh won.

If money's no object, you could try to lay your hands on one or more of the monster models that were used for sprite development. Lesser mortals like myself would probably settle for one of Reaper's cyberdemon prototypes - or the mould they were cast from.

Jet1337 said:

They're not handing out a trophy at that event. v_v

You're right, they handed out THREE. Thank you for playing.

kristus said:

You're right, they handed out THREE. Thank you for playing.

Still just a prize.

Where would someone be able to get one of those models?

From Id. You might have to kill them first though. Be careful with the models when you do that though, they're brittle.

The NeXT machines they used to make DOOM. And Romero's HD with any remaining src codes, like DoomEd for example.

my personal holy grail of doom collectibles from my collection is doom 2 pc gamer prize handed to id software in 1994

From a modder's perspective, I'd say the 3D renders for Doom64's missing enemies. Legend has it that they were made, although whether they were made into sprites before they were ditched remains a mystery.

Aubrey Hodge's archvile sound effects for PSX Doom. Even he doesn't know where they are, but he confirmed their existence.

have to go with anything related to doom's development, like the clay monsters or the nextcubes. lock them in a shiny shrine. weren't there pictures of the original models being somewhere in id's office? i must have seem them in some thread.

if i had money like that dude who built his own pirate island i'd make my theme park resembling a mix of doom maps and life-sized monsters, imps about human size and so on. would look great in the dark, especially the hellish part.

Probably prototypes/betas of any of the console ports. They're so unheard of, yet are in the hands of some collector in the wild.

Thanks for the insight, guys. I had no idea any of that stuff was out there. The rarest thing I've dug up was a mint copy of Doom on floppy disks or the monster models they used for the original dooms, but I don't even know if those are for sale.

Maybe the original toy guns they used for the weapon sprites. And the monster models we haven't seen, like the imp, pinky, etc.

scalliano said:

From a modder's perspective, I'd say the 3D renders for Doom64's missing enemies. Legend has it that they were made, although whether they were made into sprites before they were ditched remains a mystery.

Archies in D64? Do want.

Also weren't some enemies ditched due to limited cartridge space?

I did some digging and found out about a supposed Doom 32x prototype that sold for $300 back in 2011. It didn't look legit to me. Someone could've easily unscrewed the casing, put tape on the chips, and wrote "Doom" with a pen.

I'm interested in buying one of these prototypes, so if anyone has any idea where I could find one, please let me know.

Any of the developers' underwear preserved "as is" from the long coding sessions? I bet there's a market for that.

ON a more serious note, I'd say the elusive Doom95 demo with just MAP01 from Doom II. I'd swear I had it in my hands once, on a shareware disk...

Jet1337 said:

I did some digging and found out about a supposed Doom 32x prototype that sold for $300 back in 2011. It didn't look legit to me. Someone could've easily unscrewed the casing, put tape on the chips, and wrote "Doom" with a pen.

I'm interested in buying one of these prototypes, so if anyone has any idea where I could find one, please let me know.

The prototype/beta community being what it is, you could easily determine the legitimacy of a putative prototype game. There are many experts for this kind of thing. Actually, a few years ago, someone "released" about 15 32X prototype versions of Doom.

As far as acquiring these. Dreamtr used to own 3 Doom prototypes; 2 (different ones) of the SNES version and one of GBA Doom 2. I know where one of them (SNES) is. For the other 2, your best bet is asking dreamtr or posting on one of the forums. I'd probably have to PM you some starting places to ask, if you wanted, since I don't know where this type of discussion stands.

EDIT: If you're talking about 32X Doom preview dreamtr sold on Digitpress, it's legit.

buttspit said:

The prototype/beta community being what it is, you could easily determine the legitimacy of a putative prototype game. There are many experts for this kind of thing. Actually, a few years ago, someone "released" about 15 32X prototype versions of Doom.

As far as acquiring these. Dreamtr used to own 3 Doom prototypes; 2 (different ones) of the SNES version and one of GBA Doom 2. I know where one of them (SNES) is. For the other 2, your best bet is asking dreamtr or posting on one of the forums. I'd probably have to PM you some starting places to ask, if you wanted, since I don't know where this type of discussion stands.

EDIT: If you're talking about 32X Doom preview dreamtr sold on Digitpress, it's legit.

Yeah man, just point me in the right direction.

The 32x version I saw was on videogameauctions.com. Even the person that bought that supposed prototype wasn't sure it was the real thing. lol