Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fletcher`

Heretic: Curse of Darkness

Heretic: Curse of Darkness

This zdoom mod aims to be a prequel to the original Heretic, explaining where and how the Serpent Riders came to the world of Parthoris.

You are a young Sidhe elf looking for a way to prove yourself as a great adventurer. You heard a bard tell of a rumor of a castle to the west that was decimated by an army led by a fearsom monster wielding powerful magic. Knowing no fear, you take a boat and set off across the sea to confront this adversary, not knowing the dangers that lie ahead...

Curse of Darkness consists of three hubs that take you deeper into a world slowly being corrupted by a strange evil.

Features:

• Full RPG-style levelling and progression
  • 30+ new enemies
  • 3 Hubs hexen-style
  • 16 new weapons(you can keep six at a time)
  • 16 new spells you can use alongside your weapons
  • new artifacts
  • Elemental damage types that hinder enemies--ice slows them down, fire causes them to take damage over time, poison affects their accuracy, thunder stuns them in place
  • 3d floors and portals! zOmg!
  • extensive ACS scripting!

The rest of the album

Page on zdoom forums.

kristus said:

Does this mean you're about to release this?

I certainly hope it does. Can't wait to play it!

Wow, this looks absolutely fantastic. Though, I have to ask about one thing.

What's the difference between this...

30+ new enemies

And this?

16 new enemies (you can keep six at a time)

kristus said:

Does this mean you're about to release this?

Not really, but I wanted to actually drum up some interest in it, aside from #noteternityenginerelated :P

Membrain said:

Wow, this looks absolutely fantastic. Though, I have to ask about one thing.

What's the difference between this...

And this?

Oh, whoops. I wasn't even drunk yet when i wrote this!

Seems closer to Hexen than Heretic mainly because of the items and weapons such as swords and bows considering how Heretic mainly had magic staffs.

Indeed; it doesn't look particularly 'Heretic' :p

For instance, the first shot shows the corpse of HeXen's Cleric and a bad guy based of HeXen's Centaur.

That said, ignoring that, the screenshots look good, as have all the past shots you've posted during the mods development.

Oh YES! I remember you posting pics of this. Glad to see yet another Heretic mod in the works. I have to admit though, it looks more like a Hexen mod. Either way, I love the look of it and I know I won't be disappointed.

So basically, you took everything good about Heretic, Hexen and Hexen II, and combined it into a single project?

Awesome.

Stuff like this makes me wish I had the rest of the IWADs. I'm an idiot for not getting them during the QuakeCon sale. I'll do it one day :P

rf` said:

You heard a bard tell of a rumor of a castle to the west that was decimated by an army led by a fearsom monster wielding powerful magic

One thing I notice that in most stories, rumors are always true....

Lüt said:

So basically, you took everything good about Heretic, Hexen and Hexen II, and combined it into a single project?

Awesome.

Strife also, arguably, as it uses a lot of features from it as well.

Ít really looks more like Hexen than Heretic: All these modified Hexen textures and Sprites, all the RPG-like elements and the non-magical weapons really remind me of Hexen.

But in the end, both games were great, so no matter which of these games this project is more oriented towards, it seems to be very promising.

There are too many colors for it to be Hexen, though. Hexen only has brown, gray, dark green, and bronze. Here we see red and blue and yellow as well!

To be fair, in Heretic's manual story, it's implied that every weapon and artefact in the game is a Sidhe item and that the Sidhe are many magnitudes more powerful than any other race on Pathoris.

D'sparil had to conspire with the seven kings (of unknown race(s)) to raise their armies against the Sidhe. The Sidhe elders then performed some sort of ritual that simply made the seven armies vanish. This weakened the elders and D'sparil took immediate revenge (and presumably advantage of) by annihilating the Sidhe race with his own creatures; Corvus was one of the few survivors.

Hence if Rf's mod doesn't involve the Sidhe, there is going to be far less magic.

Heretic II dramatically retcons the Sidhe's power and seems to reduce them to equal in power to the other races of the land.

Now this looks and sounds like it's going to be impressive! I can't wait!

Do you have a release window in mind? If so, please tell us so we can get excited when it approaches, and then point and glare at you when you miss it. (Just kidding!)

Arjak said:

Now this looks and sounds like it's going to be impressive! I can't wait!

Do you have a release window in mind? If so, please tell us so we can get excited when it approaches, and then point and glare at you when you miss it. (Just kidding!)

When its done. But I am working steadily on it.