Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tompig

Best way to doom on the go?

As the title suggests, what is your favorite way to doom on the go and why?

Gameboy Advance?
Iphone/Android?
Hacked PsP/DS?

Basically I've been trying to itch my doom bug when I'm out the house but only have two methods of doing so...

My crappy xperia phone. (Far to small to use the touch screen, cmon i have a keyboard why can't I WASD on AnDoom?)
Or my slightly less crappy GBA version. (Green blood, missing textures by the bucket load, etc.)

So guys n' gals what is the TRUE way to doom on the go?

This sounds like a promising start. I'm using a jailbroken iPod Touch 2G, and GBA Doom on it is an absolute nightmare. I can't vouch for newer versions, but it's nothing short of terrible. The Doom for the iPad is another story though; it runs smoothly without a hitch, though the controls require much tweaking.

I use a homebrew Doom on my DS using (probably not allowed to say or will be banned for talking about piracy since Nintendo illegalised these), or I use DoomGLES on my phone because it has all that DoomGL stuff plus more like reflective liquid, 3D models, etc.
Look at screenshots and buy it from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kokak.DoomGLES&hl=en_GB
DS Doom's site: http://dsdoom.com/

If you're keen on replay value, I'd avoid rail shooters they get boring really quickly. Having played Rage for iOS (not sure about D3:ROE), it gets dull pretty quickly even with bonus difficulties.

I'd recommend DSDoom... however, it crashed on E4M2 repeatedly and I can't seem to get it working with doom2.wad.

Also, no stylus-as-mouse (unless I'm using an old, outdated version)? Missed opportunity.

I use DoomGLES on my android phone so I can play Doom at work when I'm on break.

Android tablet with SIXAXIS controller paired with bluetooth. Takes a little work getting it to pair, but it's SO worth it.

seems like I'm rarely without a laptop nowadays so not a situation I encounter very often. Playing keyboard only gimps me enough I can't imagine playing on a phone or portable game-a-majig -.-

If you play DSDoom, be ready for the game to crash when you try to save on certain maps. It seems more like one of those tech demo ports than anything intended to actually be played, considering the earliest instance of this is in E1M6.

I also don't trust having a GBA game in the DS with it because one of my game's saves mysteriously erased themselves after DSDoom crashed.

It's a shame, because DSDoom isn't that bad otherwise. I'd much rather have that over lugging a laptop/tablet everywhere or a lousy touchscreen-only port. I really wish there was a professional quality handheld port of the game for a portable other than the iPhone. I'm not sure how good the PSP port is, but I want something official-like, not an obvious PC to handheld port.

Yeah I hadn't even considered that, it's definitely a good option for stock maps, but something that could play pwads too would be nice. I don't have a PSP, so I can't speak for any of the ports, just going by experience.

Before it was thrown at a wall I had CFW on my old phat PSP- used to play Doom stuff on there, the sourceport even allowed for DEH files so quite a few wads were accessible!

I occasionally play Doom Classic on my iPhone. The controls are the biggest thing holding it back. DOOM movement is about fluidity and speed, and the relatively cramped touchscreen controls take away from that even more than a console controller. That said, the iPad version might be somewhat better for you.

If you've got android devices, the experience is probably better for this kind of thing. If you don't mind looking like a major dork on the train (or whatever), I'm sure you could bluetooth a PS3 controller to your android device and play that way.

At this point, the only portable Doom experience that will satisfy me is a laptop, a portable mouse, and ZDoom. The lack of mod capability for the more popular portable versions is pretty much a deal-breaker for me, and I'm pretty sure I've played through Doom and Doom 2's basic levels hundreds of times by now.

GBA Micro for me. I just wish that I could hack some new levels for it. The idea of playing Suspended in Dusk on my Micro tickles me no end... :)

Mogul said:

If you've got android devices, the experience is probably better for this kind of thing. If you don't mind looking like a major dork on the train (or whatever), I'm sure you could bluetooth a PS3 controller to your android device and play that way.

Could you teach me how to do that with a Wii remote? I don't have a PS3/Xbox controller and I have that Hexen 2 expansion which is unplayable with touchscreen controls.

I played through freedoom in my xperia phone , untill i got stuck in map11 and couldn't pass those 4 cacos , simply because I'm not used to play on a touch screen like I play on the CPU.

Like Ribbiks, I more or less don't go anywhere without a laptop, so I just use that - especially for long train rides or flights - very handy. And having been on the move a lot for the past few years, I've been playing this way a lot, and the upshot is that I've pretty much migrated to the keyboard for singleplayer, though I expect this will change as soon as I have regular access to a proper desktop again.