Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

Five Years And Nothing To Show: How Doom 4 Got Off Track

printz said:

Yeah but let's compare Doom 1 and Doom 2, and see why Doom 4 may still be mostly brown. Doom 1 consists mostly of space stations, like in Star Wars and other sci-fi genres. Those are bound to look futuristic, with lots of steel, aluminium and colourful lights and paints. Meanwhile, Doom 2 wants to look like modern day Earth, especially the outside world, which really is of concrete, asphalt and dirt. Doom 4 is going to be like Doom 2.

Fire and brimstone hell is of course red, and even Doom 3 has it that way.

I'm not so sure I want Doom 4 to be on Earth.

Face23785 said:

I would just like to point out that Doom 3 was not that dark.

Both on my PC and my Mac, Doom 3 looks too goddamn dark. I mean, c'mon. Areas bathed in complete and utter blackness--thanks to the stencil shadows--is too fucking dark. It doesn't get in the way too much, but it has caused me to fall into oblivion several times, and I find myself losing my bearings a LOT. It's not unbearable and it's not a game breaker, but to say it was "not that dark" is a bit of an understatement.

None of that ever happened to me. My eyes aren't bionic or anything, and I don't have a $1000 monitor. I don't know what some of you people did wrong, but these things I hear sound made up. I know you're not making it up, I'm just sayin that's how it sounds because I didn't experience any of that. At all. It probably has something to do with the way alot of you tried to run through the game like it was Doom 1.

Doom 3 is never too dark, except in quiet places where you're almost told to draw the torch. But there are enough pitch-black nooks and crannies that will psychologically make you use it often.

DooM_RO said:

The only thing I absolutely hope is that it won't be a COD clone.

From the article in this thread it says they scrapped the "Call of Doom" build of Doom 4, so looks like we're safe there.

It's cool that id is apparently focused entirely on Doom 4 now, and I have very high hopes for the game.

For atmosphere and story this being a new take on Doom 2's Hell on Earth idea is very cool I'd say. I just hope they aren't too influenced by Borderlands and Fallout (which I dig) like Rage was, in that the light RPG elements and fully open world I think wouldn't help Doom.

Don't want straightline levels like COD, but I'd still like the campaign to have a flow to it and have plenty of areas that aren't wide open, since that helps with atmosphere.

Anyways, can't wait, am expecting good things.

DOOM 4 "update" from QC:

John Carmack said:

I can't. I actually asked about whether I could say anything related to the development and the answer was "no".

They're working hard to deliver a quality product……… They can't hype it out lest they look like Doom 3 and everybody ridicule them for not being like Far Cry or hell, the then-upcoming Half Life 2.

printz said:

They're working hard to deliver a quality product……… They can't hype it out lest they look like Doom 3 and everybody ridicule them for not being like Far Cry or hell, the then-upcoming Half Life 2.

Yeah, I think Half-Life 2 was a reason for the lukewarm reception of D3.

It would be funny if DOOM 4 came out roughly at the same time as the next Half-Life, again.

EDIT:

IGN talked with Tim Willits and Pete Hines (or TW&PH for short) about DOOM 4.

What went wrong:

Tim Willits said:

It wasn’t one thing. It wasn’t like the art was bad, or the programming was bad. Every game has a soul. Every game has a spirit. When you played Rage, you got the spirit. And [Doom] did not have the spirit, it did not have the soul, it didn’t have a personality. It had a bit of schizophrenia, a little bit of an identity crisis. It didn’t have the passion and soul of what an id game is. Everyone knows the feeling of Doom, but it’s very hard to articulate.

What D4 was before the restart:

Pete Hines said:

Not DOOM 4. If it was like the quintessential, ‘yup, that’s Doom 4,’ then we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But, it was something that we looked at and the id guys looked at and said, look, it’s not even that something is necessarily bad. But is it good enough? You can make a game and say, ‘that’s not a bad game, but it’s not as good as an Elder Scrolls game should be,’ and there’s a difference...it’s not great. It’s not amazing. It’s not what people have waited all this time for. It needs to be like ‘this was totally worth the wait.’ And I think what the guys at id are working on is...they’re pushing the boundaries and challenging themselves. I don’t want anybody to look at id’s next project and have this reaction that it’s still stuck in the 90s.

IGN said:

Presently, both id and Bethesda assure that the new game is well on its way to realizing a more cohesive, careful vision.

DooM_RO said:

Yeah, I think Half-Life 2 was a reason for the lukewarm reception of D3.

Leaked alpha, I'd say.

I've heard that it has triggered some changes in the concept. Changing direction halfway through is not always a good thing. Especially when the players are already presented with a certain vision and expecting you to go all the way with it.

Good to hear that Id has finally realized that good is not good enough. I commend them for making this decision, it must have been difficult.

EDIT: One thing does have me worried though. What did they mean when they said "pushing the boundaries", "Not being stuck in the 90s"

Touchdown said:

Why do you even ask that?

Because they've gone from talking about the next Doom or Doom4 to talking about the next project/game.

DooM_RO said:

EDIT: One thing does have me worried though. What did they mean when they said "pushing the boundaries", "Not being stuck in the 90s"

It means a lot of people will be pissed because it won't be a DOOM II HD remake. It made you worried... It made me happy.

Shaviro said:

Because they've gone from talking about the next Doom or Doom4 to talking about the next project/game.

Control. When id announced DOOM 4, they did it because the information would find its way out anyway so they just went ahead and said "yeah, DOOM 4 is in development". They still wanted to stay quiet about it but when Zenimax deal happened, they were asked to refrain from mentioning it whenever possible. Ever since, despite the huge DOOM logo 5 years ago at QuakeCon, their official version is that the game is not announced at all. It seems that after the restart, Bethesda decided to completely shut down any kind of communication about it to prepare ground for the announcement on their terms. It sounds stupid because we all know they're working on DOOM 4 but that's just us, DOOM/id fans. This strategy will work just fine for most people.

I never said I wanted it to be Doom 2 HD, believe me I don't. I just don't want it to be a COD clone. If it's anything but a COD clone, I'll be happy.

Da Werecat said:

How about a Painkiller clone? :)

I'm not sure whether you're trolling or not but Painkiller is a shitty game and a shitty "spiritual successor to Doom" along with Serious Sam.

printz said:

I want Doom 4 to have portals, like Prey.

Could work in a surreal Hell level.

ZoominGames talked to Tim Willits last year about Doom 4 and what it'll be like. Topics include Doom 3 BFG Edition, Oculus Rift and Doom 4 itself.