Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sponge

Doom 2 Tournament at QuakeCon

Is there a way to download the video, my Internet is having buffering problem when streaming videos online at the moment?

I got pretty butt-frustrated when the commentator said "this will be the slowest match you will see all day" after the 15-15 tie on d5m1 between Dev and Jkist.

Wanted to slap his shit.

Last second frags on d5m1 were so ridiculous, just unbelievable! "Worst spawn ever in history" indeed. :) Very tight first two games but man, Dev got totally owned in the end... Kind of a shame that the very last game turned out like that. But still, awesome matches!

Chronohunter45 said:

I got pretty butt-frustrated when the commentator said "this will be the slowest match you will see all day" after the 15-15 tie on d5m1 between Dev and Jkist.

Wanted to slap his shit.

It WAS the slowest map all day.

About the trophies, yeah they looked swank. I want me one.

fantastic games, the final minute of d5m1 was beyond ridiculous. mad props to jkist and dev and demonsphere as well. all those intense close games won over even the retard crowd in the twich stream. judas was a little lame after dev broke down, but kist was too strong there.

shame it got sandwiched by some of the most awkward shit i've ever seen in my life. goddamn sponsor minigames, agh.

Yeah, I didn't think that d5m1 comment was offensive or anything, they were just stating the truth. :)
btw I hope the demos will be posted somewhere?
and seriously wtf at the minigames

I can just say that while it's annoying and frustrating to watch that guff, it's a lot better than it used to be. Also, Jehar said on stream that they'll post demos so I am confident that that will come to pass.

dew said:
shame it got sandwiched by some of the most awkward shit i've ever seen in my life. goddamn sponsor minigames, agh. [/B]

Too true. Doom deserves better than this. My god. I didn't know what "cringeworthy" truly means until now.

Still, awesome games. Glad this wonderful game got some mainstream exposure, even though it came at the cost of witnessing this... whatever that even was. Props to the participants.

Regarding the Doom 2 tournament, while I found it entertaining it unfortunately doesn't seem so for people who don't actively play it.

One person summed it up as: "watching SSG's reload animation for 10 minutes".

However, Quakecon is as mainstream as it gets for Doom 2 these days. I'm glad they included the tournament in the schedule. I definitely enjoyed it.

Patrol1985 said:

Regarding the Doom 2 tournament, while I found it entertaining it unfortunately doesn't seem so for people who don't actively play it.

One person summed it up as: "watching SSG's reload animation for 10 minutes".

That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Doom 2's vanilla gameplay paradigms are, unfortunately, extremely archaic. The weapon balance, no item respawns, straferunning. There's little about how the gameplay works that even Quake players can relate to, let alone more modern gamers that grew up with more polished games.

Like I said before, I think Doom's weapon balance would be all-around pretty good with no SSG in the mix, or if the SSG was at least riskier to get a hold of in maps, but unfortunately nearly every WAD out there has one on each spawn.

It should have been treated as a power weapon like the BFG or RL, not a spawn weapon.

It would also help if more maps had things like armor and soulspheres around...not that it would help since the QuakeCon tournament had item respawns off though.

If there is ever (dreaming) another Doom Tournament at qcon, I'd personally like to see a duel tournament utilizing a bit more non-os features such as freelook and item respawn and possibly weapon stay off if the map is right for it. It can prove that Doom can retain it's identity and appeal to a younger generation of gamers at the same time. But I would still be happy to see another tournament at qcon regardless of settings.

What port did they wind up using? I don't feel like slogging though the "debate" about it.

MG_Man said:

It should have been treated as a power weapon like the BFG or RL, not a spawn weapon.

there are maps like that and ssg is not exactly the spawn weapon on each spawn in ssl2, judas23 or king1. d5m7 is always boring to watch, luckily it was the map jkist eliminated in the finals.

It would also help if more maps had things like armor and soulspheres around...not that it would help since the QuakeCon tournament had item respawns off though.

this is where it gets tricky. item respawn is 30s for stupid armor bonuses AND megaspheres, hardcoded. plus it's much harder to find a balanced map that works with respawning items. it can be done though, i've recently played a well done zdaemon minileague on a fully NS map (jumping, freelook, instant weapon switching), complete with a soulsphere respawn after 120s via ACS scripting, but it'd be hell for sponge to set up at qcon.

It would be nice if each item could get its own respawn time tweaked ala Quake 3, so things like health/armor bonuses come up faster. Maybe cvars could be added?

And I know not all maps are that way (with SSG on spawn), but a hell of a lot of them are.

custom item respawn times is an issue i've been championing in the mp scene for a long time now. so far i have vague promises from zd and oda devs, because everyone likes the idea, but everyone seems a bit too busy to actually rehaul the whole item classification without breaking vanilla support. we will have it one day though!

i am a quake player. i give the hint, dont go after popular features or settings from other games. it doesnt matter what quake viewers say about doom duel gameplay. they wont play doom anyway, they are as hardcore as the doom community or quakeworld. the doom community should play it like they want.

if you go the esport way/spectator friendly way/you change gameplay to attract more players, at the end you probably fail. i could give many examples for quake 3 with a negative output.

i want to ask. it seemed in the past doom duel was going in a "quake way" with skulltag, new weapons/items, itemspawns. is this special mode still popular? or did traditional gameplay won.

Newschool skulltag-style duel seems to be just a special interest thing, honestly. There was a wad called MSDuel that did a decent job at it but nobody really plays it anymore, and nobody ever plays the skulltag stock duel maps.

I couldn't attend Quakecon, I've always wanted to go ... but, it was very exciting hearing the crowd cheer and yell during the D00M tournament. Would have been a blast. Tim Willits seems like he's kind of a dick lol.

Relic said:

With the SSG the game it just becomes quick kill after quick kill.

which is precisely why some of us prefer it over quake with its juggernaut players, item whorage and heretic weapons!