Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geo

Battlefield 3

I just forced myself to finish the solo campaign of Battlefield 3 so I can get it off my PS3 hard drive. I'd say there was only one good level and that was the house level. It let you free roam where you could flank people. The only real challenging part was the shooting gallery. Otherwise everything was just lead you by the nose and teach you every weapon and vehicle.

A lot of it just felt like a chore. This was really an exercise in restriction. Of course in the army you have to do what you're told, but this is a game. Having an animated fight with a rat for my glove before I stab it just made me think why can't I just flat out stab the rat? I have a melee button.

Having long animated fights several times with quick time events gave me enough time to think why can't I just beat him with my fists or push him away? Why aren't there buttons for close combat? Having quick time events made me feel less like part of the game and that's not a good thing.

I found seemingly every glitch in the game like the sound would cut out of entire 'animated sequences' Guys would go through walls. Guys would stay stuck glued to places when it was time to move forward. Guys would continue to spawn until I completed objectives. I got stuck just killing them at spawn points. Kind of just wasting time until I realized what was up.

For a game that boasts about how awesome their animations are, it would have been nice if one of the guys talking would actually turn their head at me and talk. Shooting civilians had no reaction or consequence at all. Bullets go right through them. It would have been nice for a mission failing if you kill them, as it does if you shoot your comrades.

I should probably ruin the last level for ya'll and what it is. Here it comes. A spoiler, but if you haven't played a 9+ month old game and finished it... again spoilers. Its the first mission all over again.

The solo campaign of Aliens Colonial Marines is more enjoyable.

The credits are so long I've heard the same 2 songs looped 10+ times now. They had enough money to have a thousand employees working on the game, but not enough money to get more songs? That's only a nitpick because I've listened to the 2 songs now 11x. :-)

Again sorry for this necro bump. If this game thread was truly meant to die then it will die again :-)

I had no idea. They should make that as the first option on the menu. Planetside 2 is about large-scale multiplayer with no single player experience :-)

It's a lot like Planetside only the player cap is at 64. It's a very skill-based game so don't expect to own everyone COD style.

I've never even touched the single player portion of Battlefield 3. That's not why you play Battlefield, and I'm not sure why it was included. Sure, bot matches, like the earlier games, I could understand, but why waste time on a campaign for a game that isn't designed to be played that way?

I will say that I have a gripe in that the server browser sucks. Maybe it's just that I don't know what I'm doing, but I can never find a good server. The interface just isn't intuitive, and the matchmaking system doesn't seem to work. I mean, I'll try going through the list, and everything either has a ridiculously high ping, is empty (or full), or is using an expansion pack I don't own. Then I'll try quick match, and it just kind of sits there, doing it's little "searching thing" and never ending until I tell it to cancel. Of course, I own the PC version, and Lord knows how often developers who made games for consoles blow matchmaking for PC games..

geekmarine said:

Of course, I own the PC version, and Lord knows how often developers who made games for consoles blow matchmaking for PC games..

Actually, as someone who has BF3 for consoles, their is no match making ala CoD. We have the server browser, just like PC.

The campaign is just a lure for COD players and an excuse to pour copious amounts of eye-candy (which I am not against of)

geo said:

I had no idea.

Wow, that's a pretty huge rock you've been living under :P

Belial said:

Wow, that's a pretty huge rock you've been living under :P

Sarcasm is difficult in text form. :-)

Avoozl said:

I hear that BF4 might be getting a better focused SP campaign than BF3.

Tough to not have it be better :-)