Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant!

The Old Vs. The New !

I have to say that I disagree with them a lot on many things.
I don't thing they have it right when it comes to the Archvile - that thing doesn't look anything like the old archvile (at least the new pinky looks a bit like the old one).
And I also disagree about the zomb soldier - these may be zombies with bald head, but they don't carry guns and they don't wear combat suits. These zombies are just former civilians (possibly mechanics or the like).

I generally have a hard time understanding their judgement.

Imp:
Not sure about this. The way he tosses the fireball is more reminiscent of Imp rather then Archvile

It tosses a fireball, has a somewhat dark-brownish skin and is bald headed - what further evidence do we need? I thought the fact that it threw fireballs was enough.

These happy looking fellows had us stumped.

*scratches head*

I think it's safe to say that the one on the far right is a former human soldier of some sort getting transformed into something nasty - in other words: an old enemy getting turned into a new :-)

I have been speculating on the "bird" demon and find it striking how much in common it has to the new imp (similar body colour, thorns). Maybe it's some sort of more powerful imp type critter (a nightmare imp or something?) - just me speculating :-)

I love the gigeresque look of the new Lost Soul :)

The spider skull thing is probably an Arachnotron, because it has a Plasma Gun. I hope the Spider Mastermind (if there is such an enemy) looks quite different, maybe a really ugly creature like the Brain Bug from the Starship Troopers movie.

And that monster he compares witch the old Archvile only has a similar head, but is much more muscular and all.

darknation said:

Number of times you will be seeing the imp = 100+
Number of times you will be seing the Cyberdemon = 1

Therefore they had better get the imp right because it's more important

That's great and all, BUT if I see a 100+ great looking imps and one shitty looking cyberdemon someone's gonna suffer c0ff33 death!!!

it looks like not an arch-vile.maybe a type of new monster.
new lost soul looks ok.wondering how the behaviour it will be?(like old lost soul,or much more aggressive)
there are confirmation about the return of revenant here(you may have to subscribe to read it,if your guset period is expired)

Other ghastly creatures to be peppered with bullet fire included the Imp, which makes a welcome return and looks hideously awesome, and our four-legged friend from the bathroom with his nasty, pointy teeth. Although id was reluctant to elaborate further on the type of enemies that will be faced, it did say that the Revenant will be making an appearance, along with many, many new monsters.

No focus on replay value?
Hm, I'm not sure I like that.

dsm said:

No focus on replay value?
Hm, I'm not sure I like that.

Yeah right. That just means such a thing is not an issue. The actual content, if its good enough, will make you play it over and over.

You could also say RPGs don't quite have replay value, given that you already know all the dialogue, plot, items and skills. And yet, those I truly adore I have beaten way more times I care to remember. Same with FPSs that weren't quite made for replaying, like Half-Life or Shogo or System Shock II.

Oh, and the spider thing is the Mastermind. Otherwise its cannon wouldn't face downwards.

Ah, thanks a lot for reassuring me. Boy, I'm too much afraid that they'll screw up something.
At least I know that:
1. The game will have a really cool scary atmosphere.
2. The game will have lots of action (at least it seems so).
3. So far, it has three of the old weapons which I would want it to have - pistol, sb shotgun and chaingun (now there's just for me to hope that they include all the other old weapons, but at least my fav weapon is back, yay!). I know for sure that they'll include the db shotgun too as it is by far the most popular Doom weapon among the fans (and id wouldn't want to dissapoint their fans).
4. The graphics will be on par with what I expected it to be (it has actually exceeded my expectations by far) - I've known this for a long time now and so have you I believe.

Zaldron said:

Oh, and the spider thing is the Mastermind. Otherwise its cannon wouldn't face downwards.

If it was a mastermind, it would have a gatling gun, not a green plasma gun, the first and foremost sign that it's an arachnotron, plus the Mastermind had it's brain in a glass container or something, and the leg dimensions fit the arachnotron as well.

Well, my judgement tells me that:

The brownish thing is definately an imp. Brown, three fingers on each hand, the same posure, throws fireballs.

The cute little eyeless doggy is of course the demon replacement. Burly, pink? (I dont, know everything seems to be some shade of cyan), big friggin' maw. I hope the new version is as bullet resistant as it's predecessor. It would be really tense being hunted by a pack of stupid slobberers while you are slowly running out of ammo.

The flying female head is obviously a lost soul. Typical Giger'ish biomachinery.

The guy that they think is an archvile looks more like an imp to me. It has the same three fingered claws. They do seem to have a thing for eyeless monsters (do I really need to mention H. R. Gigers Alien figure).

The "bird" daemon (named so because of it's dinosaur-like "beak") is, however, something wholly different. I am moved to believe due to the very generic daemon look that it it is some kind of generic daemon. Above the rank of imp and hounds, but not truly a greater daemon.

It seems that former humans now come in all sizes and shapes. Some with nifty mutations like that "spike arm thing". Gives more proof to my theory that mancubi are nothing but very grossly mutated former humans with in-built weaponry.

Zaldron said:

That's no proof.
Arachnotrons are pretty big too - compare them to pinkies then look at the huge size of the new pinky.
I think it's safe to say that the new arachnotron will be pretty damn big.
But you could be right all the same - they could have decided to "merge" the Spider Mastermind with the arachnotron and give the SM a plasma gun instead - they might as well have given it an entirely new weapon.

haven't seen a shot of baron of hell or hell knight yet

they really need to show more details of the imp!!!!!!!!!!! one of my favorites, damn!

Tetzlaff said:

I'm probably the only one to think that's the new Archvile

999cop said:

haven't seen a shot of baron of hell or hell knight yet

they really need to show more details of the imp!!!!!!!!!!! one of my favorites, damn!

Looking at the Legacy video the imp was probably the most shown off demon. Sadly, there was no concept sketch though.

I was a bit unprecise, I meant the ugly creature at the left of the screen http://www.doomworld.com/fredrik/img/doom3/concept_art_1.jpg

The head in the upper right belongs to the same monster you can watch in the video with slime dropping out it´s mouth.

It seems that the demon some of you call the "bird man" is something like a Hell Knight, because he has goat feet! You can see it quite clearly in the high res video :)

And the new Imp isn´t eyeless, he´s got multiple spider-like red glowing point eyes on his forehead. Looks quite cool.

Lüt said:

Judging by it's crotch, it could be a cyberdemon.

I don´t know exactly what you mean, but it reminds me to a guy from this forum who always wanted the Cyberdemon with a rocketlauncher built in it´s scrotch...

Look at the doomworld pic of the archvile's crotch, then look at the pic of that new demon. Resemblence.

the fact that it's head is soo long, and the skin color also make me believe that demon concept sketch is an Archvile. And the green froglike monster is a brand new one, just like the bird/dinosaur monster.

Bah, accept the fact that they could be making some new monsters from scratch...

Fredrik said:

Bah, accept the fact that they could be making some new monsters from scratch...

I have accepted that fact already and it's good to see that not all the new monsters are cybernetic :-)

NarcoTerror said:

Looking at the Legacy video the imp was probably the most shown off demon. Sadly, there was no concept sketch though.

^this doesn't show very much of it^

and nope, im on 56k + aol, won't be able to download the video

If it wasn't because I have a problem with my video so that I can't pause at the right times, I'd have tried to take a screenshot of other sections of the video where you can actually see more details of it.
I can only say that it has a mouth, which I'm sure will look very similar to the old imp's mouth when it opens it wide up - it was closed where I saw it. And it has six red eyes placed in a way so that it looks like two evil, red eyes from the distance.

If you didn't have such a butchered ISP you could leave the pc on at night and let it download. I downloaded both the 5fps and 30fps movie and I had to wait atleast 2 hours inline for both of them, I too have a 56k. I'd help you out with some more screenshots, however I realized I'm not able to take them when I wanted to make a nice wallpaper of that arachnotron concept art.

btw, dsm, when you said the imp (right?) tosses the fireball or blasts it out of its mouth, at this point i have to disagree with your theory. Apparently the fireball seems floating in front of its chest, it looks like it's being attacked by someone else imo

AOL would be disconnected in any second without warning, it's logic for me to say that it is a very unsteady internet providing service.
Don't worry, I'll get DSL next week and I'll most certainly be able to download it then. Thanks for your concern in this.