Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UltimaDweedleXVers

Duke 3D Megaton and Shadow Warrior Redux on sale via steam

Don't really see any point in this version of shadow warrior, would rather have the original cd version with it's redbook audio.

When does this sale end? I won't have access to a computer for another day or so. I tried looking at the page from my iphone but the time isn't showing up for some reason.

Canofbacon said:

When does this sale end? I won't have access to a computer for another day or so. I tried looking at the page from my iphone but the time isn't showing up for some reason.

Last I checked it said 16 hours

I find no reason why I would buy the "redux" version if the "classic" version is free.

Technician said:

I'd prefer an unmolested resource file.

Explain. Steam games generally seem to be as unmolested as they come (which is probably the reason I still can't get Deus Ex to work right...).

What exactly is the 'redux' version?

Does it alter/not include any of the original graphics etc. Is it just a bundling with a source port? I notice the mention of OpenGL on the pages for each game.

That said, the steam pages for each game also indicate they come with the original Dos version of the games as well (maybe not the expansions though?), so I don't see why yourselves are complaining?

Philnemba said:

I find no reason why I would buy the "redux" version if the "classic" version is free.

Much better mouse support, the extra episodes, better computability with modern systems and multiplayer.

If you're talking about the expansions for shadow warrior they are already available as freeware from 3d realms site.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, bought it right away after being blown away as a kid, only to have the disk lost or something. Now I own all 3 of the main build engine games. Now to wait for the Blood source code to be uncovered and wait for the redux of that and buy it despite I already own it on GOG.com because I already did that with Duke Nukem.

Aliotroph? said:

Explain. Steam games generally seem to be as unmolested as they come (which is probably the reason I still can't get Deus Ex to work right...).

What's to explain? I'd much rather have an original game file to a modified one. The page states they tampered with the graphics and audio. The HUG and music is clearly new in the video.

Captain Red said:

Much better mouse support, the extra episodes, better computability with modern systems and multiplayer.

It's just an updated JonoF engine. Apparently they did little to it. I believe the updated engine it's self has been released.

I see Duke Megatron as worth $2.50 I'll wait :-) I've still got Shadow Warrior and Quakes to play.

Technician said:

What's to explain? I'd much rather have an original game file to a modified one. The page states they tampered with the graphics and audio. The HUG and music is clearly new in the video.

Steam Store said:

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition is the definitive compilation of the landmark first-person shooter that includes enhanced versions of Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition and three unique expansion packs as well as the original version of the classic game.

You still get your unmolested game, and some extras designed for kids who don't want to do things like figure out aspect correction in DOSbox or set up a decent softsynth for the music. Speaking of that, the new music they supply doesn't sound any better than most soundfonts could manage. It's a bit sad.

The Shadow Warrior theme song definitely sounds way better, I actually like the beginning part of it, since the guitar is more pronounced.

Aliotroph? said:

Shadow Warrior is bloody hard. I'm only on the second map so far on the default difficulty!

Its actually the insane difficulty that turns me off. While I like a good challenge, if I am struggling on easy then the game is too hard.

This is comming from somebody who has beaten all the Dooms many many times on UV.

This is coming from somebody who has beaten SW many many times on No Pain No Gain.

SW is not that hard. Just learn to abuse that grenade launcher, look for secrets as they are very helpful early on (all the weapons are available on the first map), remember that some enemies won't use ranged attacks when you have fists out (and your fists have added range during smoke bomb) and be extra careful around shadow ninjas.

Aliotroph? said:

Shadow Warrior is bloody hard. I'm only on the second map so far on the default difficulty!

Nobody said it would be easy did they? I can't even do the first level of the shareware episode on hard. I walked down to the bit with the gold key and died because there was like 4 guys down there. It'd be easier if they didn't make the sword so god damn awesome.

Belial said:

This is coming from somebody who has beaten SW many many times on No Pain No Gain.

SW is not that hard. Just learn to abuse that grenade launcher, look for secrets as they are very helpful early on (all the weapons are available on the first map), remember that some enemies won't use ranged attacks when you have fists out (and your fists have added range during smoke bomb) and be extra careful around shadow ninjas.

I think the only thing that pisses me off are the coolies. I don't remember rocket launcher shadow ninjas being used often.

Those rocket launcher ninjas piss me off more than the Coolies, unless they come up behind me without me noticing. But the one thing more annoying is when I shotgun them down and I think they're dead but then they pop back up and blast me with their rockets and I instantly die. The problem with SW redux is that it won't show me how much armour I have on if I use the brief HUD, unlike EDuke32's brief HUD, which shows me everything. I'd really like to use EDuke with SW but it doesn't seem to like SW.GRP for some reason, despite people claim it works on when I Google it. Just in case you're wondering, I tried it with the free version on Steam, not the new one.

The first time I played the game I got my ass kicked very hard right on the first level, and it almost made me rage-quit SW... It can be quite hard for noobs indeed but when you learn how to avoid some attacks, which weapon is best in which situation, and etc., it can be very fun.

Also, the sword is much more powerfull than it looks and slicing an entire army of monsters without getting much damage is so satisfying, hehe. (you need to have some strategy to do that)

LkMax said:

slicing an entire army of monsters without getting much damage is so satisfying, hehe.

I love that sliced death animation of the ninja guys.

SavageCorona said:

I'd really like to use EDuke with SW but it doesn't seem to like SW.GRP for some reason, despite people claim it works on when I Google it. Just in case you're wondering, I tried it with the free version on Steam, not the new one.

Whoever you read was full of shit.

Though, I am surprised no one has taken up the project. Is EDuke closed source?

Technician said:

I think the only thing that pisses me off are the coolies. I don't remember rocket launcher shadow ninjas being used often.

On NPNG you get 3 of them in the final area of the first shareware map.

Spectre-like invisibility, fastest enemy in the game (AFAICT), one hit kill attacks. Basically if you get caught off guard you're dead.

I really dont understand the hatred towards these two ports. The Duke one bundles Atomic Edition and the three expansions with the original engine AND an easily accessable source port, while Shadow Warrior provides the first working source port in a VERY long time, and bundles the two expansions for good measure (and like Duke, is playable in its original engine), both are pretty damn good. I'm hoping Blood will get the same treatment, but that one is unlikely, unless Devolver Digital can get the rights to that.

Or is this just Doomworld being Doomworld ;]

Ragnor said:

while Shadow Warrior provides the first working source port in a VERY long time.

I disagree, SWP second last release had no issues.