Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreyGhost

I'm giving away copies of Doom Classic Complete and only Steam can stop me!

schwerpunk said
Man, how on Earth are there still empty slots...

I probably should have offered copies of something less mundane, like a leaked beta of Doom 4. ;-)

SavageCorona said:

Also, GG, do you gift them as Steam inventory gifts, I might have a friend who wants it.

I do, but, unless Rambosee changes his mind I've probably run out of copies.

joe-ilya said:

I don't see it there\at all.

Let's try something different, see if you can find me on Steam and send a Friend request. The account ID is trulypissedoff (there's a story behind that), you may also be able to find me as GreyGhost but there's a lot of us.

schwerpunk said:

Stuff like this warms my heart. Mostly because when I was growing up, not-quite-legally acquired games made up well over half of my 'collection.'

Feels good to go legit, doesn't it, Patch? :)

Indeed it does, though I think you quoted the wrong post lol. :P

Ah If I would know that you are giving heretic+hexen collection too then I would ask on quakecon sale day... I would be glad to have heretic and hexen collection on my steam.

1. I do not own heretic, hexen or hexen II. Not in physicial way and not even in digital way.
2. Yes I do
3. I played heretic and hexen and even hexen II and some of their pwads made by community, but I always had to summon those games from depths of oblivion (read: dig it from a friend) using a bit of doom and lot of aged cheese in the process. My mana was depleted and I had to recover over several days until I was able to cast again.
So it would be nice to really own those games so that I can play them whenever I want and without use of stinky magic.
I also had a brithday few days ago so You would actualy give me a b-day gift :)

i actually own all of the common Doom-engine games. can i get a copy of Strife instead? :p

well, not really. i don't believe i have the original version of Doom, only several copies of Ultimate. and i own Heretic, but not Hexen (have Hexen II though!). since there's only one slot left, though, i think someone more deserving than me should get it. :p

Steam does not have the original Registered Doom (v1.9) just so you know. I'm not sure why would you want a copy anyway since Ultimate Doom is the exact same thing except with that switch in E1M1 and Thy Flesh Consumed. Besides, there are tools floating around that will allow you to downgrade your IWAD if you wish to use an older one.

joe-ilya said:

Wait , I found it.

And redeemed it, good.

Sokoro said:

I do not own heretic, hexen or hexen II. Not in physicial way and not even in digital way.

My mana was depleted

I also had a brithday few days ago so You would actualy give me a b-day gift :)

Can you wait while Steam support recharges my mana on their e-commerce server? At the moment I can't buy anything.

Happy belated birthday!

Doomhuntress said:

i don't believe i have the original version of Doom, only several copies of Ultimate.

As of now, the best I can offer you is the Ultimate Doom to Doom v1.1 downgrade patch, followed by a 1.1 to 1.9 upgrade patch.

Antroid said:

As a pleasant surprise, the package also landed me RAGE, even though that game is restricted on steam in Russia due to some publisher-related legal stupidity.

Yeah, where publisher packs include a game that is not available in your region, you still seem to get that game. Which is how I ended up with "Risen", despite it being refused classification in Australia.

So congratulations, you now have a less fun version of "Borderlands" to play :)

GreyGhost said:

Can you wait while Steam support recharges my mana on their e-commerce server? At the moment I can't buy anything.

Happy belated birthday!

Yeah, no need to hurry. Thanks and happy belated birthday to you too!
I am going to make some ultimate doom E2 styled b-day map for you, in few days.. :)

Anyone else driven mad by the fact that you can't just buy a copy of the Master Levels separately? I already own every Doom game except for that, and I just can't bring myself to buy a collection simply for one expansion. Heck, I remember playing the Master Levels years ago and not even really liking it, I just want to fill out my collection.

I'm especially confused because this is not the first time a Doom collection has been released. In fact, I bought the Doom Collector's Edition back when it came out, and to this day I still don't get why it didn't include Master Levels. Anyone know why it's so friggin' hard to get ahold of?

geekmarine said:

I'm especially confused because this is not the first time a Doom collection has been released. In fact, I bought the Doom Collector's Edition back when it came out, and to this day I still don't get why it didn't include Master Levels. Anyone know why it's so friggin' hard to get ahold of?

Master Levels was in the "Depths of Doom Trilogy", but to balance things out that collection's missing Final Doom. I suspect those not-quite-complete collections were released just to annoy the hell out of us.

Capellan said:

Yeah, where publisher packs include a game that is not available in your region, you still seem to get that game. Which is how I ended up with "Risen", despite it being refused classification in Australia.

So congratulations, you now have a less fun version of "Borderlands" to play :)

Eh, I beat it before and liked it quite a lot (except for the finale, obviously). Never cared about borderlands in the slightest though, so I'm totally fine with this :P

Also, the quakecon pack was said to contain something called "Hunted: Demon's forge" or something like that, and neither me nor hipp0cat received that in our steam libraries when we bought the pack. We both got RAGE, though. I wonder why that happened. But the pack was friggin awesome anyway. I'm even gonna semi-blind lp the first two quakes and their addons. Having those on steam somehow makes me want to play them more, even if I had the means to do that before.

But I'm probably never gonna install any of the old Doom games from steam - seems totally pointless.

Capellan said:

Sure you can. It just isn't any cheaper than buying the complete pack :)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/9160/

Actually, if you look at the "purchase" link, it IS the complete pack. Whenever something is part of a package, but you click on the item individually, when Steam lists the price, it simply lists the price of the package that includes the item you want. I just don't get it - charge a couple of bucks and sell it separately. I really want to know what the issue is.

Also, GreyGhost, yeah, I remember the Depths of Doom Trilogy. I think you're right, I think they just like fucking with us. I mean heck, my Quake collection is more complete than my Doom collection, and to me, that's just not right. Again, it's not a huge deal at all, as I remember not liking Master Levels from what I've played, but gah, there's just something about not owning it that bugs me.

I don't suppose this generosity could be given to a new member of the doomworld community?

I lost my iwads for all my doom games about a year ago due to my external HD deciding to die on me.

If you've still got a copy of Doom Classic Complete I'd love a copy.

Steam Name; Ultima Dweedle X Version

edit: OMG, I got lucky! I found copies of my iWads on a USB flash drive while going through old packaging.

This is great! I also found my old copy of Heretic 2.

You can disregard the previous message, I'm so happy right now that I found my iWads.

It could be a historian's full-time job to track what Steam is doing with the Master Levels. It has went from being bundled with Doom 2 to being available only through packages that no longer exist, to being utterly unavailable, to being sold separately for a higher price than Final Doom, to being included in a package again, and now it again is no longer sold separately. I'm not listing price changes here, and I'm sure I've missed dozens of steps where the Steam people have made other pointless changes.

I guess everybody needs a hobby. For the Steam boys, it's gratuitously messing with the Doom packs.

geekmarine said:

I really want to know what the issue is.

It's probably because it comes with a free copy of Doom 2. The Master Levels on Steam is standalone, since it includes its own full copy of Doom 2, separate from the one you get when you install Doom 2 through Steam. As Gez said, it used to be bundled with Doom 2 - you bought Doom 2 on Steam, you got the Master Levels. You wanted Master Levels, you had to buy Doom 2. This was as close to perfect as we're likely to ever get, but they changed it and now you have to buy the complete bundle to get it.

Finally got a steam account (wesleyjohnson).
Made it using the library computer. Don't know yet about rest of Steam software, and actually downloading a game.
I think Springy will get first try at it.

Well, sent you an invite Wesley. My holiday's cut a little short so I'm back a little earlier than stated.

GreyGhost, you are definitely a cool guy. You are always willing to help with people's questions, and now this. Cheers!

Doom classic complete does not have achievements, but DooM3:BFG edition should have some achivements for old dooms.. just do not expect anything creative.. it is stuff like: find all secrets in any level, beat the game on ultra violence, etc

Greyghost: I am still working on the b-day map for you, at this rate you might get to play it on your next b-day... nah joking, it is 1/3 done.

Sokoro said:

Doom classic complete does not have achievements, but DooM3:BFG edition should have some achivements for old dooms.. just do not expect anything creative.. it is stuff like: find all secrets in any level, beat the game on ultra violence, etc

I see, thanks for the info!

I have been gifted a copy of Heretic by Springy.

Thank you Springy.

Now I have to get it off of steam. It looks like I will have to install that client software after all.

Edit: The steam client software has failed.

Steam immediately tries to update itself with a 97 MB download. It gets about 10 seconds into trying this when it fails with the message that I must be online. I am online, it is just expecting too much from that dial-up modem. It asked what my speed was during installation too so that is rather obtuse behavior.

All of Heretic cannot be more than 4 MB.

I suppose I can consider myself to have a valid license now.