Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavageCorona

Speakers not working due to "Stereo mix" being disabled and won't show up at all

Am I stupid?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Am I stupid?

• No
    • No
    • Impse
    • Oh god I dream about Impse and it makes me wet in my sleep

Apparently it won't let me change the title so I'll add it in here:
Whenever I'm in a call of some sort, even with the microphone unplugged, they can hear whatever I'm doing, whether it be game, video or music. I've figured out it probably has something to do with Stereo Mix, but I'm not sure whether the problem is also on a hardware level too. My new headset arrived today, but I can't use the audio jack because it's broken, so I'm still using my speakers. I'll update this if it's fixed when my USB adapter comes.

Disable "Stereo Mix" through the Skype settings as well, not just through your driver settings.

Reinstall sound drivers?

Disable your built in mic (if you have one)?

SavageCorona said:

Google has not helped me and this is the only forum I feel I can whine about this to.

They're tons of forum websites about sound and music help that you can post your problem to.

I doubt a system restore would be necessary to get the sound back. Just download and re-install the drivers and software. (But once some old driver program disabled the speakers sound on my computer, and the only way I managed to fix it was with a system restore. In that case, re-installing drivers didn't work for some reason...)

And try checking the Skype settings as well as the Stereo Mix setting on the computer, and check if there are any internal microphone settings.

BloodyAcid
How do I disable Stereo Mix through Skype? The only audio it uses and can use is microphone and speakers.

Netherstorm
I don't have an built-in mic, I use a headset separate from my speakers because my front audio jack doesn't work and they're basically broken beyond repair so I can't wear them.

TheUltimateDoomer666
I don't have any internal microphones and Skype says nothing about Stereo mix.

Don't think I think you're dumb or anything but make sure your speakers aren't connected to your line-in instead of the line-out. Maybe you already did but, I felt I had to suggest it because the funny thing about speakers is that they can also function as microphones when the current is reversed.

Fixed it, apparently I had to put it in conference mode then turn the volume down to 0, since 100 made it even louder, so 0 made it disable entirely. Fuck nevermind

I ordered a new headset along with a jack-to-USB adapter, so I'm using my camera as a temporary microphone, however I unplugged it and ran it through the Echo Sound Test service and it sounded exactly like it was playing through speakers at normal volume, which is worse because it was quiet before.

Resulted in this thread
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/65238-the-excruciating-ear-pain-song-oh-god-what-is-this-noise/

Bump:
New headset arrived, but the problem still persists. I can't use the headphones part yet, since the USB adapter still hasn't come yet, and the audio jack is broken. I'm not sure whether it's my speakers or not, but it has something to do with Stereo Mix.