Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gni

Brutal Doom v19 gameplay video series

Hey, guys! I'm not the only one pumped for Brutal Doom v19, am I? Nah, no way.

I was thinking of doing some gameplay vids of BD v19 once it came out. Because, you know, that's a completely original idea. Since it was delayed, I've been itching to put -something- out there. So, I made a test vid. Good thing I did, too, because now I know how to reduce lag and fix the sound and stuff for gameplay vids.

Here's a link to the test vid. I'm curious of your thoughts on it and expectations for the real deal! Please do read the video description, though. It has a bunch of useful info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GSGq0vrWrMI

And, if any of you have any ideas on how to further reduce lag on a non-gaming computer, tricks for working with fraps, or anything else that might be useful, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it. Thanks!

Edit: Just clarifying, as if it weren't already obvious, this video is NSFW. My annotations are vulgar and lack a verbal filter, and the gameplay itself is... well, it's Brutal Doom. You all know how that is. So, yeah.

Gni said:

Here's a link to the test vid. I'm curious of your thoughts on it and expectations for the real deal! Please do read the video description, though. It has a bunch of useful info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GSGq0vrWrMI

Hm. I clicked the link expecting the mentioned useful info to be about the update and what's actually changed in it, but it was just info about the video itself.

If this thread is actually about the fact that you're thinking of recording gameplay videos in the future, rather than being about the upcoming update (which is only given a passing mention with no useful description at all, or even a link to a post that does), it should be renamed to something more descriptive. And if it's primarily about Fraps performance questions, it should probably be in Everything Else.

As for the video, I sincerely enjoyed the part around 0:40 when the player attempts to jump-kick a demon twice, misses it and flies over it both times, and then just gives up and tells it to fuck itself. The jumping imp excitedly bouncing across the right side of the screen around 1:25 also deserves a special mention.

On the technical side, parts of the video get a bit blurry. YouTube seems to use rather heavy compression on lower resolution videos, and it can cause some pretty severe artifacting in 360p Doom videos due to the pace of movement and turning.

I would like some gentle soul to explain me, what is it that everyone finds Brutal Doom so awesome? No offense to SgtMark, but I really think it's nothing special.

Everyone finds it awesome because it's a gore mod on top of a lot of changes, like actually needing to change your regular tactics due to it being harder and being able to do new things like rolling, plus the fact it's generally harder which would obviously attract a lot of fans looking for more challenge than respawning monsters. I certainly was, and I got that challenge and now the original Doom is just too easy, even on UV. Not that it was particularly hard in the first place anyway. Plus the fact it's received pretty much global acclaim from everyone important, and it's won 2 awards.

And fatalities.

@ esselfortium - Sorry about that. I'll change the thread description as soon as I figure out how to do that... how do I do that? (Edit: Fixed it, I think!)

About the blurriness, I think I know what I did wrong there, and possibly how to fix it. I'll have to make a private test video to see if I'm right about that, so it should be less blurry when I do the real deal.

Yeah, the failing at kicking the demon was pretty funny, I thought. I really need to figure out how to do a flying kick in rooms with high ceilings without jumping over things...

@ BaronOfStuff - I have ADHD! Can you tell by my leaving run on all the time and hyperactively insulting every demon I come across with profane language?

@ hfc2x - Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Vanilla DOOM as well. I actually have a backup zdoom file with all of the settings for Vanilla saved, and I just copy it over whatever zdoom file is in the DOOM folder at the time if I wanna play Vanilla. I always turn off mouselook and jump / crouch / whatever so it feels like it did aaages ago, when I was really young.

I like Brutal DOOM too because it's practically a different game. The weapons are rebalanced, the monsters have improved AI and are generally more dangerous, and the player often must employ new tactics to get by when fighting monsters. If you noticed, several of the imps in that video tried to pounce at me if I got close to them, which is especially startling around corners, and their fireballs are thrown faster than Vanilla ones, even on difficulties besides Nightmare.

Not to mention that I find a lot of the new features really cool. Like, being able to pick up those explosive barrels or lost souls and hurl them at things, or to flip off enemies that are particularly annoying. If there's anything I miss of Brutal while playing Vanilla, it's being able to flip things off.

There's just so much to Brutal Doom that I really like it. Y'know? Surely, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd definitely say it's worth a try. I have seen scores upon scores of positive reviews for it, if that means anything to you.

--------------------------------------------------

About the video itself... as the video description said, it's on Nightmare mode (using a mod for BD that makes most monsters respawn every 40 seconds) w/ degeneration (like from Quake) and a limited amount of items. I know this is one of the easiest maps in The Ultimate Doom, but considering that I'm running around blowing everything on the level up (possibly multiple times), trying to hit most of the monsters (if not all of them), and grabbing various secrets along the way but not really caring whether or not I get all of them, does this sound like a decent premise for a series of gameplay videos?

Thanks.

We've had the editing tool and the assets to make a totally ballin' immoral conduct modern update for such a long time now.

One of these days...

Bloodite Krypto said:

I will now insult every Brutal Doom enthusiast by saying for god sakes no, play Immoral Conduct!

http://www.doomworld.com/immoralconduct/

From what I can see, Immoral Conduct is a bunch of skins and a turret, because everything is made better than Brutal Doom with turrets, even UACMN.wad, the very wad Terry is trying to force on people over Brutal Doom, lying about its features and bitching that Brutal Doom is getting global acclaim and his shitty jokewad isn't.

SavageCorona said:

Plus the fact it's received pretty much global acclaim from everyone important, and it's won 2 awards.

What. I cannot believe you said that to prove me this thing is any good.

Gni said:

@ hfc2x - Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Vanilla DOOM as well.

Did I say otherwise?

BaronOfStuff said:

Really, it's the most overrated mod in existence. Bits of it may be impressive on a technical level, but that's about all the positives I have to say. It's for kids and people with ADHD.

This pretty much sums up my opinion. I still think it's admirable the amount of work SgtMark has put on this, but I fail to get impressed by the end result.

hfc2x said:

What. I cannot believe you said that to prove me this thing is any good.

I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not.

Ehm... guys, I asked you a question at the bottom of my last post. If we could please stay on the intended topic, I'd be quite appreciative...

Khorus said:

I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not.

Probably not, opinions of a couple people someone considers "important" aren't really a very good guarantee that something is truly good, or at least a good reason everyone should like it.

Sorry Gni, I can't answer your question very well because I don't care for BD at all and don't want to play it or see it played whatsoever.