Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Judge denies baby's name of Messiah

I'm sure this judge ran for office on a platform of creationism in schools, banning abortion, and making being gay illegal. And the people of Tennessee are perfectly happy with that. And their random TSA checkpoints of course. MURICA!!!!!!11

Whatever. I'm just glad that there is a kind of stigma to using Christ's name (or in this case title) as a given name in the west. And I don't hear Joshua much, either.

Every asshole in the middle east is named Muhammad. That gets annoying.

Technician said:

Every asshole in the middle east is named Muhammad. That gets annoying.

Actually, Muslims have pretty clear-cut rules about which are the names of God which of them can be used by a Muslim.

By applying their rules to Christianity, being called "The Messiah" would not be permitted, but being called just "Messiah" is alright. It actually makes sense, too.

Maes said:

By applying their rules to Christianity, being called "The Messiah" would not be permitted, but being called just "Messiah" is alright. It actually makes sense, too.

Well, we can't have misplaced definite articles and we certainly wouldn't want to mistake someone for being god after all.

Ok so you're allowed to be called Jesus as in hay-soos but you're not allowed to be called Messiah because someone misread the rules? Classic (CENSORED DUE TO IMMINENT FLAMEWAR)

SavageCorona said:

Ok so you're allowed to be called Jesus as in hay-soos but you're not allowed to be called Messiah because someone misread the rules? Classic (CENSORED DUE TO IMMINENT FLAMEWAR)

To be fair, Jesus or Joshua, or even Yeshua, is as common of a name in Hebrew (or even in the Latin world) as John or Alex.

Jesus or Muhammad is a name, but like Maes has pointed out, "Messiah" is rather a title that is anointed to you by higher authority.

Whether you think it's bullshit or not is up to you, but there is some reasoning behind this ruling.

I know Joshua is translated from Jesus, but I don't think people consider it to be related to Jesus in anyway other than the translation thing. Also Alex isn't a popular name where I live, I'm the only person I know called Alex and I know tonnes of people who are not named Alex. It makes me sad that people have such bad taste in baby names.

Everyone knows the only one, true messiah was Big Baby Jesus. Shame on this baby for trying to jack that title.

Snakes said:

Everyone knows the only one, true messiah was Big Baby Jesus. Shame on this baby for trying to jack that title.

Do we know for sure that this kid isn't Big Baby Jesus Mk. 2?

Doomhuntress said:

shame. Joshua's a really nice name, IMO.

I know, I think Joshua is one of the best names if not thee best to name a baby IMO.

We can't have no messiah running around, savin' people and shit... That's a threat to the judicial process!

UltimaDweedleXVers said:

In New Zealand you're not allowed to name a baby Lucifer.

Whhhhaaaaaaaat? I love that name.

Of course one would need to ensure the individual was actually operating of his own free will when asked for their name. So, my thought is that as a result everyone would have an albeit funny but completely incoherent name, such as Muwhuhabahee until they learned a "grown up" language.

A judge denied idiot parents from naming their kid '4 Real'

geo said:

A judge denied idiot parents from naming their kid '4 Real'

Now that people should be okay with.

If only they barred L-A too.

Kontra Kommando said:

How stupid. Hispanics name their kids Jesus, why is Messiah bad?

Jesus is also pronounced with the J being silent, so basically it's 'Ey-sus'. That could be why they name their kids that.

I once met a black guy name Jesus so I don't see the big deal why the parents can't name their own child "Messiah".

Philnemba said:

I once met a black guy name Jesus so I don't see the big deal why the parents can't name their own child "Messiah".

I hope you didn't hear him wrong, or you could get this kind of reaction.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

The former lead singer of Candlemass should bash the judge's head in. Or write a strongly worded letter. Note that he was not born with the name, however.

I don't think that noms d'art are in the same category. Compare e.g. Rob Zombie, Madonna (itself provocative for Catholics) etc.