Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Beware the Swedish fish

http://www.care2.com/causes/testicle-biting-fish-invade-swedish-waters.html

Men in Sweden are being warned that a cousin of the piranha fish that, according to rumors, has a taste for biting men’s testicles, has been spotted in local waters and that they should be cautious when swimming.

The fish in question is called the pacu. It shares a close resemblance to the piranha, all the way down to its rather terrifying looking teeth. The pacu is generally found in rivers and streams in the Amazon and Orinoco river basins of lowland Amazonia. That is to say, it usually enjoys decidedly warmer temperatures than Scandinavian waters can provide.

Despite this, a fisherman on August 4 pulled a 21cm pacu from Oresund, the narrow strait that separates the Danish island Zealand from Scania, a southern Swedish province.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/testicle-biting-fish-invade-swedish-waters.html#ixzz2boK6zZ1q

Sweden prides it's self for it's multiculturalism, so I can't see them ejecting this particular immigrant, even with it's alleged rap sheet. And using worlds like "invasive" sounds ableist. Don't judge the pacu negatively becasue of their piranha extremist counterparts.

Also, this ball biting is simply the fishes way of fighting Sweden's patriarchal right, nothing sexual.

Hellbent said:

Despite this, a fisherman on August 4 pulled a 21cm pacu from Oresund, the narrow strait that separates the Danish island Zealand from Scania, a southern Swedish province.

This is a fresh water fish caught in the baltic sea? Or am I wrong? I have to be. In any event you're not going to have a sizable population surviving, even in fresh water once winter comes. Particularly if these fish are just dumped aquarium fish. They aren't swimming from brasil to northern europe just to fuck with people.

Helvete också! No seriously, this fish looks rather nasty but I rarely swim here in Stockholm anyways except Eriksdalsbadet (haven't visited that place since 1999) so it's all good.

According to that article, it is more like vegetarian than carnivorous.

Just keep your swimwear on, okay?

Get yourself some chain mail Speedos. I agree with Quast, a freshwater tropical fish is unlikely to survive a Swedish winter.

Jodwin said:

Gay fish in Sweden? Why am I not surprised.

I expected you to comment that there's no danger of any testicles being bitten off, since it's Sweden.

Quast said:

This is a fresh water fish caught in the baltic sea? Or am I wrong?

The Baltic Sea actually has such low salinity -for a sea- as to be bordering on brackish, and the animals that live in or near it are halfway adapted between saltwater/freshwater, and many typically lagoonar species are found there. During my visit to Helsinki I was surprised to see lagoon/brackish water species such as ducks, cranes etc. fishing near the shores, with actual seagulls being in a relative minority.

SavageCorona said:

That looks like a piranha wearing dentures. Like one of those funny sets.

Often piranhas and even lobster/giant crab pincers have what appear to be perfectly usable human teeth, in shape and size. I wonder if they can be used for implants.

Maes said:

Often piranhas and even lobster/giant crab pincers have what appear to be perfectly usable human teeth, in shape and size. I wonder if they can be used for implants.

In college I actually designed a pair of dentures based on the crushing claw of a lobster. The project was taking something existing and giving it new applications. The dentures were for cracking oysters.

Caffeine Freak said:

I seriously thought this was going to be a thread about Swedish fish candy, and how atrocious they tasted.

I thought it was going to be about Surströmming.