Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Netherstorm

Your favorite childhood games?

What were some of your favorite games growing up?

Mine would have to be: Warcraft (PC), Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES), Contra (NES), and of course The Ultimate Doom (PC).

Dodgeball, Hide and Seek, Tempest(arcade), Guantlet(arcade), Dungeons & Dragons (pen and paper days), Jumpman (commodore64), Zork (commodore64), Robotron (arcade), Pitfall (Atari2600)

Chess, Shogi, Rummy, Go Fish, Texas Hold 'Em, Risk, Monopoly, LEGO, badminton, wall ball, scavenger hunt...

Did you mean computer games?

Computer games: Ishar II Messengers of Doom (Atari ST), Ishar 3: The Seven Gates of Infinity (PC), Big Red Racing (released in 95 or 96, this game had really cool music) (PC), The Incredible Machine 3 (PC), WarCraft II, Doom & Doom II (obviously), Masters Levels (bought Doom anthology back in the mid 90s), SuperKart, The Web (best pinball game ever), Pinball Dreams, Perfect Pinball, Epic Pinball (awesome, released in 93), Duke3D (of course), Diablo, Unreal Tournament (Redeemer powah), CS 1.6 (haha), Transport Tycoon, Transport Tycoon Deluxe (thank God for OpenTTD) and the list goes on and on.

EDIT: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (PC, 1998), Need for Speed High Stakes (1999). When me and dad played High Stakes at a LAN party in Stockholm, Remedy 2002, using a custom car called CCX Preston, we had a group following because of the enormous speed that car had in the game, we had a ball.

Some more games: Worms, Off-Road Racing (I bought this game instead of SpaceCraft when dad tipped me about it haha).

Monopoly, Chinese Checkers, Supremacy (a Monopoly variant), Cluedo, Poker Dice, Mouse Trap, Indoor Bowls, Cricket, Chess, Scrabble, Cribbage - is my generation gap showing?

GreyGhost said:

Monopoly, Chinese Checkers, Supremacy (a Monopoly variant), Cluedo, Poker Dice, Mouse Trap, Indoor Bowls, Cricket, Chess, Scrabble, Cribbage - is my generation gap showing?

Haha! Not at all! I used to play a lot of these games with my grandmother when I was a kid.

I used to really like Monopoly - I still do nowdays, it's just that no-one will play it with me. Funnily enough, I didn't grow up with that much video games, so you can imagine what happened when I got my mitts on one. []_[]

Well, chess, duh.

Also The Beetle Game, Dover Patrol, 4000 AD, Dominator, Battlezone, Phoenix, Aqua Attack. Also Cucki (with a long accent on the u and a short accent on the i; pronounced sooskey), which was a card game I invented. And some game where you drew a race track (or golf course) on a sheet of paper and took turns to skid your pen through it. And 4x4x4 noughts and crosses. 5x5x5x5 took too long to draw, and moving first was too big an advantage.

Talking of Cucki, on a quiet day on the Southern Ocean on board the Khlebnikov, I got roped into some card game. As they explained the rules, I realized that it was quite similar to Cucki. So I asked a bunch of questions that must have seemed absurd (checking which Cucki rules did/didn't apply - some were fairly convoluted), and proceeded to win extremely quickly, using techniques learned years earlier.

Risk!

I swear, Risk brings out warlust in people. My family would get so worked up and aggressive over that board game. But it sure was fun!

There was a few fun trampoline games my brothers and I used to play growing up, of course they were self made games with self made rules (subject to change on whim by older brothers) with made up names. And for these games to work, they required the use of a trampoline net. There was the ball game, where the person on the trampoline wants the higher score, and the person on the ground wants a lower score (basically), and they pretty much rally the (small) ball back and forth, and the ball falling within the boundaries was a point. The ball falling in the trampoline was an "out", and 3 of those granted a position switch. A tennis ball was customarily used.

Then there was netting, an entirely on trampoline game in which a ball was smacked between the opposing net boundaries for a point. A ball made of dense foam slightly larger than a tennis ball was the traditional ball used. The one in particular looked like a baseball.

Then there was the official gigantic exercise ball game, which didn't have a name, but the gigantic exercise ball was utilized for "launching", where one of us would utilize the physics of the ball in order to jettison our bodies much higher than our regular capabilities, and you would try to stay under the net, but do tricks and other cool/funny/dangerous crap.

Then... there was water trampoline. Again, no rules for this one, but you brought a hose on, for hours at a time. Digging really huge holes under the trampoline was a really cool thing to do, but it pissed off dad. We just wanted a little pond to go fishing in! (I think I did anyways)

And of course, the consecutive backflip contest... that always gets a contestant quite dizzy.

Belial said:

Slam Tilt says no.

But did Slam Tilt have better music than The Web? It's music was fantastic for a game released in 1995. Plus dad made copies of the files saving the scoreboard when I nailed 120 billion points with 4 Ultimate Showdowns. Took me like three hours to complete.

Grazza said:

And some game where you drew a race track (or golf course) on a sheet of paper and took turns to skid your pen through it.

I'd forgotten that one, also played battleship/beach-head type games that way.

Chess, Risk, Monopoly, Life, Connect-Four

Paperboy, Jaws, Super Mario Bros series, Contra (obviously), Hamburger Time, Monster Party, Spy Hunter

Civilization (SNES), EVO: The Search for Eden, Doom, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II, Final Fight, Zelda: A Link to the Past

The Oregon Trail!

Magic: The Gathering (Too bad my parents threw them away, I could have probably put a down payment on a house by selling those old-school cards. Thanks mom and dad)

Counter-strike with my dad, commander keen, super mario, doom, half-life.
IRL games:Hanging with my friends.(too bad they have other interests now)

• First: Prince, Prince2, Jetpack, The Incredible Machine (TIM) (very creative puzzle game), Tristan (pinball game), RoTT demo, Doom 2 (version 1.666, by the way). My DOS games. I still have their copies on my computer now, which is why I could name them. Oh, and later also Descent.
  • Hundreds of games in ZXSpectrum Emulator.
  • Crash Bandicoot series and other games on PS Emulator (in fact I only ever had a PC, no console or anything). That might be later.
  • Cosmo Cosmic, Destruction Carnival, Sonic games, those are just from the top of my head.
  • Games I had but wasn't that keen on them: Mario, Worms, Soldat. (I think most of those shooter games I had when older, except the Doom 2)
  • Off computer: chess, few card games, LEGO-like construction kit from Russian supplier (I think) called "Cheva" - in our house we still somewhere have full two large boxes of bricks collected from dozens of sets.

Heh, I remember when my brother would draw video game mazes on bits of paper and "play" through them. Simple times, they were...

Gex: Enter the Gecko, Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, Doom 64, Rampage Universal Tour, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Donkey Kong 64, and Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

These are counting from before 2003:

Doom series, Quake series, Wolfenstein series, Duke 3D, Blood, DKC and DKC2 but I didn't have 3, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Killer Instinct, Megaman X, That Daffy Duck game on SNES, BF1942, Forsaken, Battlezone 2, Harry Potter and the PHILOSOPHER'S stone (yes I know but come on I was 6 and I liked Harry Potter and the sparkly magic effects were cool), Worms, Fifa 98, Diablo 2, Tomb Raider 1 and 3, Warhammer 40k Space Hulk 2 (The one with the really long subtitle I can't remember), Need For Speed Hot Pursuit '98, Hitman Codename 47 and Silent Assassin

5 years ago (2009, for my 12th birthday) I got a DSi which for a while I played Mario Kart DS, The Simpsons Game, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and G-Force.

I also used to like Pokemon cards and Beyblades.

Wonder Boy in Monster Land. It's still better than most games ever.

MRB_Doom said:

The Web (best pinball game ever)

That's a weird way of spelling "Devil Crash" there.

The ones I played on my computer:
Doom, The Lost Vikings, Descent, Warcraft 2, Xenobots (aka Ultrabots), Jazz Jackrabbit, Mortal Kombat, Prehistorik, UGH, "Oh No, More Lemmings", Wing Commander: Privateer, Strike Commander

And the best pinball game was "Pinball Fantasy"

The ones I played with a friend of mine on his SNES:
Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, all parts of Donkey Kong.

I used to play (and still play to this day) a lot of Lode Runner: The Legend Returns.

Also played 3d Ultra Pinball and Star Trek: Starfleet Command back then.

Star Wars: X-Wing, Mario 64, kickball.

Those were the first 3 that popped into my head.

It's funny you should mention Monopoly because I use an electronic Monopoly game as sort of a "ramp" for my camera to use as a webcam, since it has no stand and I'm too tall. Too bad it stopped working though.

Ah the good old days when I actually played games!

On our (family) first crappy (yet super expensive) computer I remember playing Crystal Caves and Duke Nuken 1 alot. And Civilization 1.

A bit later on I played alot of Warcraft 1 and Space Quest 1-2-3.

I never owned a NES (well, I do now) when growing up, but when hanging out at friends houses I really enjoyed Turtles, Mega Man and World Cup.