Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

New Shadow Warrior game looks pretty awesome

I don't like the look of this. I was expecting old Shadow Warrior, then I got this. I might get it but I won't like it as much.

Oh look, another "classic FPS" made by the Painkiller devs. Games like this prove that people don't actually know what makes a classic FPS. Where are is the nonlinearity and the ATMOSPHERE?!Why does everyone forget the latter.

The guns look great though and Bethseda could take a few lessons for TES6 when it comes to melee combat.

Da Werecat said:

Not everyone.

If you are referring to ROTT, the game's production values were too low for me to take it seriously. If every dev had the same mentality as them, we'd still be playing Wolfenstein 3D clones.

Da Werecat said:

I'm referring to Painkiller.

But you won't believe me, of course.

Other than the asylum and abandon station, Painkiller wasn't that engaging in the atmosphere department.

In fact, every time that generic metal started up it took me right out of any atmosphere the game managed to muster up for me.

Da Werecat said:

I disagree. But I'm not going to argue about it.

People reasonably agreeing to disagree on the Internet?! *sheds a tear*

Carnevil said:

People reasonably agreeing to disagree on the Internet?! *sheds a tear*

I know, a rare moment indeed. Might want to take a picture of it. =P

Technician said:

*sigh*

I have no idea where you got the idea of there being redenerating health.

If you had even watched the video then Totalhalibut clearly said that the game uses plain old medkits.

And frankly, I am finding the whole "every modern game SUXXXXX!!!" mentality from a lot of the people on the forum rather tiresome.

I agree that modern shooters have some problems but that's no reason to be elitist and dismissive towards almost every new shooter that gets made.

hardcore_gamer said:

I have no idea where you got the idea of there being redenerating health.

If you had even watched the video then Totalhalibut clearly said that the game uses plain old medkits.

And frankly, I am finding the whole "every modern game SUXXXXX!!!" mentality from a lot of the people on the forum rather tiresome.

I agree that modern shooters have some problems but that's no reason to be elitist and dismissive towards almost every new shooter that gets made.

So you completely ignored the player's ability to regenerate their own health to 65% on command using one of the player's "key powers?" If you want to get to full health, that is where health packs come into play; it's pie.

It's a dumb compromise. A security blanket. If they wanted to give today's players an extra security measure, have the regen maxed at 25% or 30%.

Take your own advice and pay attention before spazzing-out.

hardcore_gamer said:

This however, is not a rare moment.

Well it will certainly be another game I'd love to have but unable to have because of my net connection.

Well, I'm definitely going to check this one out as I'm curious how the melee combat turns out. The level and monster designs, from gameplay point of view, look rubbish but that's what anyone should expect from the people behind Painkiller and Hard Reset. But on the other hand, when your game emphasizes melee combat you just might get away with it, as most of the good level design elements would probably just get in the way in melee.

Totalbiscuit strikes me as someone who will love anything that isn't (or claims to not be) a modern shooter. This looks hilariously bad to me. Just like Hard Reset. The demo of that game was the worst game experience I can remember. It was an endless array of prefab modules haphazardly thrown together to create an excuse for random arena combat.

This time around they have apparently spent way more time and care on the environments, but why bother when all you're going to use it for is random arena combat? It's *boring* after 5 minutes. It seems like this game heavily suffers from split personalities. They've seated themselves between two chairs. It's called *shadow* warrior, but is really about strafing in an arena with no stealth, strategy or (health/ammo) conserving present. It has carefully crafted environments, but they aren't used for anything. Why create a world like this when it only contradicts the kind of game you're trying to make?

This has nothing at all to do with classic first person shooters.

FINALLY! Someone who gets it! As much as I like TB, I very much disagree with his opinion on "classic shooters". All he does is further cement the dumb trend Painkiller and Serious Sam started.

Jodwin said:

Well, I'm definitely going to check this one out as I'm curious how the melee combat turns out. The level and monster designs, from gameplay point of view, look rubbish but that's what anyone should expect from the people behind Painkiller and Hard Reset. But on the other hand, when your game emphasizes melee combat you just might get away with it, as most of the good level design elements would probably just get in the way in melee.

Yeah pretty much this. If it's priced well it'll have a place on my steam account.

It is a pity the monsters have the same problem as Painkiller's "this guy shoots and this guy charges you and this guy can do both!" schtick. The baddies are demons guys you can do all sorts of interesting things!

Technician said:

It's a dumb compromise. A security blanket. If they wanted to give today's players an extra security measure, have the regen maxed at 25% or 30%.

My problem with regranarting health was never that it makes things too easy (When they put in health regen they tend to make the combat highly lethal) as waiting around for all the jam to clear from my eyeballs kills pacing. The method they're using here seems to avoid that at least.I do agree that it's probably a little generous. Maybe higher difficulties will reduce it? Not a deal killer for me though.

Since I liked Hard Reset a lot I'm looking forward to this being at least as good.

Already looks better than the disaster ROTT'13 turned out to be.

PK style "kill waves of enemies to proceed" design puts me off. I love PK but it's not the gameplay I want.

Touchdown said:

PK style "kill waves of enemies to proceed" design puts me off. I love PK but it's not the gameplay I want.

I personally loved it because it made the levels straight-forward. No complex mazes to get lost it. You just killed stuff until the level was over.

DooM_RO said:

As much as I like TB, I very much disagree with his opinion on "classic shooters". All he does is further cement the dumb trend Painkiller and Serious Sam started.

Not really; he very much knows that those games aren't classic FPSs. If you watched the video, you'd know that he very much criticized Shadow Warrior's level design as being, you know, not-classic. However he's also someone who really likes games where you can turn enemies into gory bits with over the top weaponry, which seems to be the main reason he enjoyed Shadow Warrior.

Also, to give credit where credit is due, Flying Wild Hog experimented a bit with FPS weaponry in Hard Reset which was a welcome change, and they seem to keep trying new things here (melee, activatable abilities, chi powers). Do they work out? The fuck I know, but at least it's better to try those out than to submit to the same, boring weapon scheme that we've had since Doom and Quake.

Looks like the Doommunity hates it without playing it. I think the bottom line to all games... is it fun? If the answer is yes, then enjoy it. If the answer is 'regenerating health? bah' then that just sounds like what's the right word... not snobbery. Something else.

Anyway they made Hard Reset. I think Shadow Warrior is a step in the right direction.

Touchdown said:

I've only played one PK game and really its all just circle strafe. Their enemies charge at you shooting or not. I think better design choices would be to have enemies that also stay away and shoot.

But hey at least you can't get lost in the PK games I've played.

hardcore_gamer said:

I personally loved it because it made the levels straight-forward. No complex mazes to get lost it. You just killed stuff until the level was over.

That sounds like every Call of Duty clone released during the last years. No, we've had so many of those kind of shooters and even Id eventually realized making Doom 4 like that was a bad idea. We need something refreshing. The swordplay looks really fun but everything else?

P.S Did you guys know there are Shadow Warrior NOVELS out there? I wonder if they're as bad as the Doom novels.