Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
massacrebosco

Will you play the wads that made by a person you hate ?

The question in the topic and the question in the post aren't quite the same thing. I've played wads by people who certainly seem to have it out for me, though :P

I might play it but I'll want to dislike it so it will need to be something really special to impress me.

Well, there's this one mod I've been avoiding after some feuds...but it's shit anyways, so no problem there. Can't really say I'm avoiding it, but since it's so bad, all the reason to.

This isn't an easy question to answer (especially without naming names), but whether I'll "separate the work from the artist" really depends on the level of assholery exhibited by the artist in question. To give it some context, though, I'll probably never play the "Harris levels" on account of what he did.

(I really hope the mere mention of Harris in this thread isn't the Doom community equivalent of Godwin's Law. If it is, I sincerely apologize.)

massacrebosco said:

If a person that you hate or has ever insulted you, has made some doom wads or mods, will you play it ?

Yes, because I'm not a petty little shit who can't separate an artist's personal politics from their output.

Example: Douglas TenNapel. He's a bigoted, homophobic, right-wing gun nut who happened to design Earthworm Jim. I won't stop playing Earthworm Jim because of these personality defects.

And you know, I'd expect the same courtesy from others.

Jayextee said:

Example: Douglas TenNapel. He's a bigoted, homophobic, right-wing gun nut who happened to design Earthworm Jim.

This is called tolerance.

OT: Doom is doom. If someone is a heartless bastard but makes some decent levels, I'd still play them. Doom maps are hardly an extension of someone's personality. (unless you're a masochistic slaughter-map designer)

I end up not enjoying most wads by people I dislike here, even without knowing the author beforehand. It makes sense, this being a video game forum and all, I think for me grudges are born out of irreconcilable gameplay perspectives more often than any other reason.

So in the end, I do skip stuff by certain people. I also skip a lot more stuff, from many more than just people I dislike. I even pass up on stuff I would like to play! Only so many hours in a day, and so many wads to play.

I don't hate anyone anymore. But sure if someone all of sudden decided to insult me, then I'd probably ignore this person completely, including his/her wads. But then it's more like someone not existing at all, and why would I hate someone who doesn't exist?

Jayextee said:

Yes, because I'm not a petty little shit who can't separate an artist's personal politics from their output.

Example: Douglas TenNapel. He's a bigoted, homophobic, right-wing gun nut who happened to design Earthworm Jim. I won't stop playing Earthworm Jim because of these personality defects.

And you know, I'd expect the same courtesy from others.

This. Dead on the money and pretty much sums up my opinion. People are talented and can be pricks but if they produce quality material that you like then why should you hate it just because you don't like the author? That's like discovering a new wad without knowing who the author is to begin with, you play it, you enjoy it, then you find out who it's by and suddenly you don't enjoy it just because of the author name and not the content. It's the content that you should be rating, not reviewing the authors personal behaviour as their personal behaviour most likely isn't shown in the wad (unless it's some troll wad). Sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

Admittedly, yeah. I don't really hate a lot of people in the Doom community, though. The only ones I really hate are the bronies. However, I still find Jenesis to be a decent WAD not to mention that Altima Mantoid and Light_Speed's demos aren't that bad. I'm ok with them as long as they don't shove it in my face...which has unfortunately happened in the past.

Yes. I don't see a reason to outright hate anyone in the Doom community anyway. There are individuals who occasionally piss me off, though, and I'm sure I've pissed a few people off myself.

darkreaver said:

I hate everybody, and I will not play any maps made by anyone I hate. So; no.

Spoken like someone who needs a hug. Does that mean you don't even play your own maps?

Don't know that I dislike anyone enough to not play their wads, with the possible exception of Terry and his imitators - for obvious reasons.

I think it's called Halo Effect. From Wikipedia:

"The halo effect or halo error is a cognitive bias in which one's judgments of a person’s character can be influenced by one's overall impression of him or her."

Of course, that definition is about "a person’s character", but this also applies to that person's work, IMO. Obviously, as with practically all science, this is not a definitive "theory", but the basic point it's pretty clear: When we don't like someone, we tend to judge them more negatively, and we are a lot more critical to his/her work. But then, we are not robots, we are humans. Of course that our opinion/point of view is inevitably biased. What is important, I believe, is how everyone deals with it. As Rayzik said, it's called tolerance. Besides, I still don't know about anyone who doesn't has at least a couple of redeeming qualities. And making wads could be as well one of them.

P.S.: To this day, I don't dislike any mapper in particular. I guess that could change eventually, but for now it's a non-issue to me.

EDIT: Crappy ortography.

SavageCorona said:

Everyone hates John Romero but they still play the original IWADs don't they?

I thought it was Sandy Petersen we're supposed to hate, shows how little I know. :(

GreyGhost said:

I thought it was Sandy Petersen we're supposed to hate, shows how little I know. :(

Why are we hating the people who made the game we all love again? I'm confused.

I hate chaingunners and revenants, and I won't ever play their stinkin' maps!

I do not really hate anyone that I'm aware of, and certainly not anyone who posts here. Of course, there are people here that I find myself disagreeing with in the things that they post, or who I find disagreeable for the things that they post (though, more in EE than in anything directly DOOM related), but the idea of allowing one's personal assessment of an artist bear on the evaluation of their artwork seems to me to be profoundly daft. In other domains, some people who's work that I really enjoy/admire are the most awful shits - it has no bearing on my attitude to their work, and why should it?

You are all better people than I. I can't really separate an author's work from what I think of him/her. If I'm aware that something was made by someone who I even just dislike, that fact is going to inevidably creep into my opinion on his/her work and sour it. Can't say I even want to resist that very much.

Although I can't say I hate or even dislike anyone in this community at least. Perhaps I just don't know most people well enough :I