Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CorSair

Rescuing old CDs

Okay, so I decided to do the arduous task; securing my old game CDs into bits. I have DAEMON Tools, but it seems it doesn't do it's job properly.

So what I am searching: A good program that can write old CDs into virtual copy.

Suggesting any particular tools would sooner or later border on warez/cracks/rip tools, so I'll abstain from making any specific suggestion.

The easy & fast answer is that there's no universal way to make "perfect" bit-per-bit backups of copy-protected game CDs, and even professional rippers can't avoid using dedicated cracks, sometimes, to overcome some technically non-copiable feature, e.g. CDs with microscopic holes created by special equipment.

The CD-R FAQ has a good list of techniques and software you can use, but no solution is 100% foolproof.

As a general rule, if a simple cue/bin image is not enough to make a functional backup of a CD/DVD, then you'll probably have to break some laws along the way, if you're adamant about wanting to back it up.

What happens to "plain" copies of copy-protected games in my experience: you can generally install them fine, but when actually starting the game to play, the copy-protection will kick in. If you want a backup that will survive the availability of functional CD-ROM drives, OSes, etc. then also include a noCD/noDVD crack with whatever backup you make.

Maes said:

Suggesting any particular tools would sooner or later border on warez/cracks/rip tools, so I'll abstain from making any specific suggestion.

The easy & fast answer is that there's no universal way to make "perfect" bit-per-bit backups of copy-protected game CDs, and even professional rippers can't avoid using dedicated cracks, sometimes, to overcome some technically non-copiable feature, e.g. CDs with microscopic holes created by special equipment.

The CD-R FAQ has a good list of techniques and software you can use, but no solution is 100% foolproof.

As a general rule, if a simple cue/bin image is not enough to make a functional backup of a CD/DVD, then you'll probably have to break some laws along the way, if you're adamant about wanting to back it up.

What happens to "plain" copies of copy-protected games in my experience: you can generally install them fine, but when actually starting the game to play, the copy-protection will kick in. If you want a backup that will survive the availability of functional CD-ROM drives, OSes, etc. then also include a noCD/noDVD crack with whatever backup you make.

There's nothing illegal about making personal backups (well, there is multi-thousand dollar software out there where you sign over those rights, but we're talking about home consumer entertainment stuff).

I've never had a problem with ImgBurn, and it's idiot-friendly for people like me. noCD/noDVD cracks edge a little more closely towards pirate activity, so I think it's funny you mention those, but I've still had to use them on some software I legit owned because the copy protection was buggy (EA titles like Spore, Battlefield and so on). These days though, all you need is some software to make a virtual CD drive and point it at the image you made via ImgBurn, process called mounting. DaemonTools Lite is probably the most commonly used, there are probably better ones though (I dont really trust any software that tries to install search bars and unrelated advertisement bloat).

Vorpal said:

These days though, all you need is some software to make a virtual CD drive and point it at the image you made via ImgBurn, process called mounting.

I know about image mounting but:

• Some software's copy protection won't work with it, period. Some even refuse to start if you have daemon tools or whatever installed (Starforce...ugh...)
  • Installing the game will take up a certain (usually not small) amount of space. Keeping the full CD/DVD images around in addition to the installed space, just means eating up a lot of space.]Rather than reminding myself to mount the correct image everytime and waste double the space, I'd rather go with a crack that does away with the copy protection, especially if I do own the original CD. Less wear and tear on that one, too.
  • If you need to run cracked/modified executables in order for a game to work with image mounting software, then why not go the extra step and use a definitive noCD/noDVD crack? BTW, on old enough titles, sometimes even the game's developers provide those, in the final patches.

I've used IsoBuster for years, the unregistered version will create ISO images and periodically nag you to register. It's also handy if you want to check file readability before imaging.