Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Hexen II fireplace switch bug? [ANTROID, IT'S NOT A BUG]

I'm at the point in Hexen II where I have to acquire the Stable Key after visiting the altar. However, when I go to the fireplace where the switch should be it's not there. Is this a well known bug? Have I done something wrong? This has never occurred to me before until today so I'm unsure of what's happened. The switch is usually located in the upstairs room of the place where I did some digging. I know it's the right place because I checked afterwards with no clip. Any ideas? Cheers.

I don't think anyone actually knows, Hexen 2 is one of those games that gets so confusing your brain just melts and you can't remember any of it because it just starts deactivating after you start bunnyhopping around the maps hoping to find something and playing with the pretty sparkle cube effects when you pause the game while using the sparkly shoes.

Heh, sparkles. I know that if you don't acquire the items in a certain order that a door doesn't work. I did try googling this before posting but the search turned up nothing. Looking on steam only turned up a post on the 7th that was made describing the exact same event.

Have you patched the game to the latest version? I recall someone talking about this bug, but I don't remember any details.

I haven't done anything to it, I thought steam supplied the latest version. So I will look this up, thanks.

I use a patched version that really all it does is just lets you set the resolution to what you want, even up to 1080p, since the old version didn't have a proper resolution selector (It had a list of them like Quake did, and didn't let you select them) or let you go above 720p. No idea if it fixes any bugs though, it seems exactly the same as before.

Note that you can't use the Steam shortcut with it, just make a non-Steam shortcut for it.

I THINK this is the one I use: http://uhexen2.sourceforge.net/

Apparently Quasar thought Hammer of Thyrion was worth dropping here.

I think you need to backup your saves, not sure if I could continue from my old one when I updated it. I did it a long time ago though so I may remember wrong.

SavageCorona said:

I use a patched version that really all it does is just lets you set the resolution to what you want, even up to 1080p, since the old version didn't have a proper resolution selector (It had a list of them like Quake did, and didn't let you select them) or let you go above 720p. No idea if it fixes any bugs though, it seems exactly the same as before.

Note that you can't use the Steam shortcut with it, just make a non-Steam shortcut for it.

I THINK this is the one I use: http://uhexen2.sourceforge.net/

You couldn't set your resolution dynamically in GLQuake (and GLHexen) - it had to be done at the command line. So, make a shortcut to the executable and put this in the target line:

-width 1280 -height 960, or whatever resolution you want, also -bpp for color depth (16 or 32). Launch the game and it should be whatever you had set it at.

I remember playing Hexen II a very long time ago and I experienced the same exact bug you are describing. I just noclipped through the wall to get to the stable key.

Wagi said:

I remember playing Hexen II a very long time ago and I experienced the same exact bug you are describing. I just noclipped through the wall to get to the stable key.

Yes, noclipping should do the trick.

POP was made purely by Raven Software, with no involvement from Id. Id put their stuff on Steam, but Raven generally doesn't. In fact, some Raven titles that used to be on Steam disappeared mysteriously.

One Raven guy once admitted that they never saw any money from Steam (it probably went directly to Activision), which might be why they aren't especially eager to put their old stuff there.

Bloodite Krypto said:

The real question is why isn't the expansion Portals of Praevus available on Steam, it's so incredibly elusive and rare.

I have it on my phone, but I need to learn to bluetooth a Wiimote to it, the touch controls are god awful.

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I may have to do a Kal Foxis and no clip to the location if all else fails. It will probably be a long arse time before I touch Hexen II again as my laptop is now on it's last legs.

Chu said:

You couldn't set your resolution dynamically in GLQuake (and GLHexen) - it had to be done at the command line. So, make a shortcut to the executable and put this in the target line:

-width 1280 -height 960, or whatever resolution you want, also -bpp for color depth (16 or 32). Launch the game and it should be whatever you had set it at.

That doesn't let you go above 720p, I tried 1920x1080 and it wouldn't run. Also that version I linked has a text, HUD and menu scaler, because anything above 800x600 is tiny.

SavageCorona said:

That doesn't let you go above 720p, I tried 1920x1080 and it wouldn't run. Also that version I linked has a text, HUD and menu scaler, because anything above 800x600 is tiny.

Three words:

Hammer of Thyrion.

Does UQE Hexen 2 still refuse to draw torches at full brightness? I've stopped tracking that engine when it ditched the software mode.

SavageCorona said:

That IS the version I linked.

So I see :>
Still I suppose it's worthy of the name drop so people know what to look for.

Just for the record: The switch which is supposed to be left of that fireplace works on me. I've played Hexen II several times, and most of them was without 1.11 patch or sourceports (and I have the original CD.)

I got a reply on my steam post. I think I must've missed the amulet of hunger somehow (I don't recall picking it up despite visiting the shrine). Corsair: Thanks for the clarification. I must've just missed something and in doing so jumped to conclusions.