Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

SOPA's Back... Again

Yep, SOPA is back and this time it's known as SOPA 3.0. One of the things that SOPA 3.0 has is that it wants to make unauthorized streaming a felony. It's dumb how bills like this try to make a comeback because no one is happy with these bills.

Read these articles for more info:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/unauthorized-streaming-felony_n_3720479.html
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130805/12472124074/administration-cant-let-go-wants-to-bring-back-felony-streaming-provisions-sopa.shtml

Someone kill it (and the Dept. of Commerce's Internet Policy Task Force) with a stick! A BIG stick!

Zombie Roosevelt will kill them with a big stick... while speaking softly.

You'd think by now most people would realize that locking up vast swaths of a population never makes anything better.

Right... Back to banging my head against the hardest wall I can find.

Canofbacon said:

They failed last time, hopefully they will fail again.

This time Obongo is pushing it.

Figures he'd bury the previous bill to only resurrect it with proposed jail time.

He's working for both the entertainment industry and America's prison complex.

jailtime for downloading michael jackson's back catalog: 5 years

jailtime for actually killing michael jackson: 4 years

I approve.

Reports are also showing that the provisions in SOPA, PIPA, ect, are part of the Trans-Pacific Partnership. If people in the countries attempting to pass the Trans-Pacific Partnership where smart. They would doing everything they can to fight it. It's bad everyone.

Satyr000 said:

If people in the countries attempting to pass the Trans-Pacific Partnership where smart. They would doing everything they can to fight it.

It looks like we're already committed, not that I recall there being any public consultation about it. Like most everything else relating to the TPP, the "public" was probably consulted behind closed doors.

Satyr000 said:

Reports are also showing that the provisions in SOPA, PIPA, ect, are part of the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

Corporations like Disney and Warner have been trying to harmonize copyright regulations for decades. Sadly, it's inevitable as these businesses have gone multi-national.

GreyGhost said:

Here we go!

If people in the countries attempting to pass the Trans-Pacific Partnership where smart. They would doing everything they can to fight it. It's bad everyone.

How? I mean, yeah, it's bad for people, but for big business, a universal copyright standard ensures no country can harbor torrent clients or video streams.

The only complain I can see is from countries who haven't sold-out their corrections facilities to private industry to make a buck.

Technician said:

The only complain I can see is from countries who haven't sold-out their corrections facilities to private industry to make a buck.

It's going to more or less be the end of generic med's the world over by giving big pharma more reach. Give the the TTP countries the ability to vote on things such as how a police forces work and what kit they use. Further increasing the rapid militarization of police forces in the countries involved. Allow food processors and manufacturers to stop labeling foods that contain gmo's as such. There is more and it seems like the more light that is shed on it, the worse the it is. The draft that was leaked to various press outlets a couple months ago was around 1,000 pages and less then a fourth of that version deals with trade. There was also a lot of blank in the document, so there is no telling what has been or will be added in the future.

The countries involved (mostly the US) have been attempting to push the negotiations and content of the agreement underground. Because if people knew what is in it and the changes it will make the backlash would be 100 times worse then the backlash over SOPA and alike. Part of the reason that people really need to read it is because its going to give more countries a say in how a member of the TTP country works and what laws it has in various areas, not just trade. Meaning another country could have more say in how your country works then you do as a citizen.

It doesn't matter who's "in power", they have the same corporate paymasters and a corporation cannot die.

GreyGhost said:

It doesn't matter who's "in power", they have the same corporate paymasters and a corporation cannot die.

Like that J&J thing about the red cross right? Had no idea what medkits looked like outside the US.