Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wildweasel

Accessories to Murder (ww-doomnukem)

So this has been making the rounds, across ZDoom's forums and IRC channel, and I figured it's reasonably done enough that I wouldn't feel too embarrassed about posting it here.

Accessories to Murder is a simple-ish mod for ZDoom (or GZDoom - Zandronum not supported, sorry!) based on Doom Nukem's abandoned, but quite beautiful weapon pack for Brutal Doom. Essentially, I took the Test 3 version of DNBD, threw out all of the Decorate code and started from the top.

Before I get to rambling too much about it, here is a download link (should always be the latest version, hosted in my Dropbox public folder).

Here are some decidedly old screenshots. The HUD has since received a very nice makeover thanks to Doom Nukem.

Things To Note

• There is reloading, and it is CLIP-based, not BULLET-based (except for the shotguns). So keep those itchy reload fingers at bay if you do not want to waste ammo. At the moment there are no plans to change to a per-bullet system.
  • Berserk does not automatically switch to the sledgehammer, but it does work.
  • The shotguns' roles have been completely swapped. To clarify: The Sawed-Off Shotgun IS NOT THE SSG, the Trench Shotgun is.
  • All of the new weapon graphics and most of the items are by Doom Nukem. I literally could not have made this mod without his approval.
  • Although it was based on a mod for it, this mod WILL NOT WORK with Brutal Doom. It is intended to be loaded on its own, or paired with your megawad of choice (I recommend BTSX Episode 1, The Darkening Episode 2, or Equinox).

Looks like I'm goin' to get a blast through "Back to saturn x" with this weapon pack , keep up the techies bro!

one of the better weapon mods I must say, good job weasel and also probs to doom nukem for the awesome weapon graphics.
since I like my zdoom experience with that certain portion of extra blood I wanna ask if it's possible to make it compatible with blood-mods like nashgore or ketchup. never mind though if it's not an easy deal.

edit:
ok I looked into your zdoom release thread and saw a solution there (delete the blood entries in actors\misc.txt).

I must say, deflating cacodemons are hilarious. Also, I really like the shotgun.

A random thought: it would be nice to see the armor indicator change its color depending on the armor class.

A small nitpick: explosion halos are square. :) Though it can be blamed on the software renderer.

A suggestion of questionable humor: to write something like "Thanks for logging in, bye" on the HUD upon player's death.

Da Werecat said:

A small nitpick: explosion halos are square. :) Though it can be blamed on the software renderer.

Yeah, the particle effects are meant for the GL renderer.

Having some fun blasting through Ganymede with this. The Lost Souls are really killing the fun, though. They deal an insane amount of damage compared to most other enemies (roughly 30 from what I can tell), their flying attack isn't interrupted by damage, and I swear they can move like a revenant rocket when charging. Combine this with reloading weapons and they are, by far, the highest threat enemy in Doom 1 maps.

Aside from that, the balance seems really good on pistol start or carrying over. The minigun is quite fun to use, it could even fit in with the Strife weapons I think...

Hmm. Considering that my Pain Elemental replacement does not launch Lost Souls, I've noticed that Lost Souls in themselves are much harder to find and test. I'll have to do some numbers-tweaking later on.

WildWeasel said:

Hmm. Considering that my Pain Elemental replacement does not launch Lost Souls, I've noticed that Lost Souls in themselves are much harder to find and test. I'll have to do some numbers-tweaking later on.

Yeah dude , once a lost soul infighted with a horse baron and it won.

I've been playing Favillesco E1 with this mod. And I gotta say, I love it! :D

EDIT: Finished! Enjoyed! My only problem was with the Invisible Mech demons, pain in the ass!

I hope the Vore's projectile was tweaked because some maps make dealing with multiple Vores night impossible to try and lose it without it hitting you. Damage is a bit high for a mid level monster too.

i think the projectile's damage is equal to that of a Revenant actually, which was pretty high to begin with. the problem being that the Revenant is more fragile than the Vore, making the replacement enemy such encounters more dangerous, not the least because of its smarter guided missiles.

I've been steadily nerfing the Vore for a while; damage, hit points, the visual range of the seeker missile, among other things. If you're having difficulty losing a Vore missile, my strategy is to try to lead it into other enemies, because it's very hard to get them to hit walls.