TheUltimateDoomer666

Risen3D or Doomsday models?

Doomsday:
http://i.imgur.com/ne9vENJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/V0GWHmH.jpg

R3D:
http://i.imgur.com/zt4lvHs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XPzpDTe.png

Risen3D and Doomsday both have hi-res addons such as textures, patches, and 3D models.

I tried out Doomsday with the latest texture pack, user interface pack, and resource pack. I tried Risen3D with the detail textures, hi-res textures and patches, skyboxes, and models including the Sitters & Abbs enhancement and Chilvence's soldiers. I also checked the R3D Abbspack alternate weapon models, but I like the regular R3D weapon models more.

They both have different models, and some different patches. What are your opinions on the models and hi-res patches for Doomsday and Risen3D? Which do you prefer, or do you dislike the extra addon model stuff?

I sort of prefer the look of the R3D models over the Doomsday ones. They have a slightly nicer art style. The R3D HUD fist is much better looking than the Doomsday version, for example.

As for the model animations, most of the animation in both R3D and Doomsday looks extremely awkward. The imp's walking animation in earlier versions of the Doomsday model pack looked silly. At least the imp's walk in the newest version has improved. The imps also walk in a goofy way in R3D. Both Revenant models also have these wacky walking animations.

I don't really like the pinky demon models. They're not very close to the original sprites, and I feel that those models could look a lot better.

Though, in all honesty, I don't think I'll ever actually like any models or "modernized graphics" over the sprites and original textures. The classic graphics are still my favorite.

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Though, in all honesty, I don't think I'll ever actually like any models or "modernized graphics" over the sprites and original textures. The classic graphics are still my favorite.

I have to concur wholeheartedly with that statement. No models for me - ever. I've never seen a set that manages to replicate the visuals of the original sprites.

Both of these sets are atrocious - in fact the entire 'hi-res' visuals of these images are awful. Original resources all the way. That's how Doom was made by the original artists and none of these reinterpretations does any improvement - quite the opposite in fact.

Those models are certainly not bad but they look so out of place in the original low-detail levels that they remain no option.

The same reason makes even good hires texture replacements fail.

I've downloaded R3D recently to play some of the maps designed specifically for it. With all the kewl 3D models, of course. It was pretty much like going back in time to mid-00s. Good old Abbs weapon pack with reskinned Half-Life rips and wooden animations, I've missed you.

Well, not so much. Let's turn it off to see how default guns are doing. Jesus F. Christ, what is this:

I remember this model, actually. It's just as dreadful as it always was. On the other hand, pistol is rather neat. Still wooden though.

I always found it amusing that when they make replacement Doomguy faces for the status bar, they always seem to just take model rips from newer id games instead. (That RTCW face...)

To write off models and hi-res textures purely because of some notion that they "will never fit" is just silly to be honest. Certainly many of the existing resource packs are very poor quality but that does not inherently mean "all models are bad m'kay".

As a counter example, see Veirdo's excellent work for Hexen:

Edit: BTW, the Risen3D models work just fine in Doomsday also. At most you simply need to put them into a PK3 (I did so myself).

Let's not forget though, that some older models and their skins may not be as high on polys, as higher resolution etc, simply because computers back then couldn't handle anything more.

In terms of general age of Doom models; I believe most of the models in the Vavoom pack are the oldest, then the JDRP ones and finally the Risen3D ones are the newest.

Obviously that's a big generalization and there are many other models and model packs out there.

I gotta say, that shotgun is dreadful not because it's ancient. It's mostly because the author thought it would be a good idea to base the model skin on a bunch of sprites. There are better models in the default weapon pack. I wonder why this particular shotgun wasn't replaced with something less amateur.

Very nice Hexen stuff, by the way.

Now this is entirely my opinion and it'd probably due to bias, but in the case of the R3D models at least, it is as if the "make weapon ready" or "raise weapon" animations actually reduce the rate of fire from enemies. I'm probably wrong, but that is my impression.

I speak as someone who thinks the shotgun guy's reload sounds in brutal doom are awesome even though they probably reduce the firing chance as well.

DaniJ said:

To write off models and hi-res textures purely because of some notion that they "will never fit" is just silly to be honest. Certainly many of the existing resource packs are very poor quality but that does not inherently mean "all models are bad m'kay".

As a counter example, see (images)
Edit: BTW, the Risen3D models work just fine in Doomsday also. At most you simply need to put them into a PK3 (I did so myself).

Yeah, wow, those are some fancy screenshots...gasp!

On the subject of Doomsday, does anybody know if the 3D resources and hi-res packs are available for GZDoom, or at least, how to convert them over?

Most of the Doom 3D models have been converted to GZDoom and can probably be found at the ZDoom forums. But GZDoom's model support is far less advanced than Doomsday or Risen3D, so a fair amount of fancy stuff is lost.

As for the hi-res textures; there is a ZDoom/GZDoom version of the Doom pack at the same website the Doomsday version is hosted at. Though it lacks the shine maps of the Doomsday version as ZDoom/GZdoom doesn't support that feature.

3 hours ago, Metal_Slayer said:

You just bumped a 11 years old thread.

9 years old*

Well, since the topic got bumped, I might as well add me 2¢:

I personally don't mind models, but the Doomsday/Risen 3D ones given... I have to agree with the community, they look just plain silly.

Personally, I'd go with Cheelio's Voxel Doom, or models inspired by Quake 1's 3D models.