Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

here's my not-quite-fda: http://www.mediafire.com/?9rpvanba3v3hgs6

I had seen up to about 22mins beforehand, so I played pretty aggressively in the starting area. demo gets 53 mins in then I die embarrassingly like an idiot. This demo also showcases my complete ineptitude in dealing with a hallway full of revs :p

Anyways, not too much to add to my original thoughts, excellent map. most fun I've had playing slaughter stuff in awhile.

does the RK require sr50? that jump made me nervous heh.

Had some slowdown for me but maybe because I had a youtube video paused while playing.

I get a bit of slowdown too, but it's just a little bit and is still playable.

Thx for the FDA Ribbiks, you made it far. I don't think the RK requires sr50 but I use it just in case. I could sense the nerves heh.

I'm probably going to stop watching demos now because they've started giving me motion sickness lately, wtf. Doesn't happen when I play, only while watching demos.

Awesome stuff.

I played kinda wimpy up to around 2k monsters dead but it's really not worth watching anyway, unless you notice something glitchy.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/dhole1.lmp

Ribbiks said:

does the RK require sr50? that jump made me nervous heh.

I've never done a single sr50 and could comfortably jump over any doom gap currently in existence. I just use strafe-on to lock turning and do a simple sr40, it never failed me.

TimeOfDeath said:

I'm probably going to stop watching demos now because they've started giving me motion sickness lately, wtf. Doesn't happen when I play, only while watching demos.

You could try watching with chasecam. Although that'd make the whole process more involved, as you have to move the camera yourself. It'd be cool if PrBoom+ had a chasecam that automatically followed/hovered around the player. Or maybe you could make a basic "left mouse click every 5 seconds" macro to approximate that effect.

Thx, that worked great. Being in control of the camera didn't make me feel sick at all while watching j4rio's fda, thx too j4 (I spotted a part that needs sound blocking lines).

Requesting some demo for Butt, not necessarily fast & smooth max, just something that could showcase its logic clearly. So far it eludes me, it seems that player has to take 4 AV jumps in the corner alcoves, but it seems to be really crazy thing to do considering all the mess around. Teach me how to live, ggg!

...And that nasty voodoo stuff in Lagger's map is also quite a pain, never knew what causes it. I guess I should figure things out in editor first and then try to play it normally.

Demonologist said:

Requesting some demo for Butt

uvmax in 6:29 (mine is called butt222.wad, not sure if someone else just renamed it to butt.wad or something)
http://filesmelt.com/dl/butt222-uvmax-629-cl9-ggg.lmp
Its pretty hard/luck based but I think its fun. Vile jump into all 4 corners (you can tell which because they're lit up). Each opens a central megasphere and an external monster cooridor. At the end of each cooridor there's a trigger to lower 2viles+cyber. Do all 4 of those to access center bfg, and crushers help speed up killing cybers a bit.

edit:
after playing dholes on an iddqd run, that is one ludicrously hard core... "slaughterfest". Slowdown was mostly only the very beginning for me. Maybe making a reject table would help if you didn't already (I've still never actually done that myself).

gggmork said:

uvmax in 6:29

Not that it brought any more clarity, but thanks anyway. It seems I'm gonna get raped if I'm to beat it, I inevitably suck in stuff like this. Well, at least it's short.

That'd be cool to see a demo if you feel like trying more (that demo took lots of attempts). Also obviously there's 4 more cybers, 1 in each corner so good to wake them up without shooting asap.

It's still July, it could be possible to get a map in before the end of 2013. When you're not busy try making a map for this.

Anyways, I have a map that is almost ready, I just need to put more things into it and playtest it further. Here are some screenies:

http://i.imgur.com/S7VFoJ6.png
http://i.imgur.com/jXtmycm.png

(these were on the "picture" thread already along with other images of mine but I'm putting them here also. Apologies if they are too small.)

Finally finished the first version of my wad.

Aquafresh Crescents, in the MAP28 slot.

Uses music from GothicDM2 MAP10 (by Marc Pullen?)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fds6gh9yh87e8q0

Needs NB_RECOL.wad and plutonia.wad to get the textures in. I don't know how to implement the textures in properly without getting a tutti-frutti on everything.

Also, critique me on thing placement please, I don't think I did a good job on it (I suck at playtesting my own map, go figure).

here's an fda for ya: http://www.mediafire.com/?xz5g5ixwm6g12pu
completes in about 40 minutes, no deaths

gives me that mid-90s vibe :p

I thought the end was pretty fun when enemies tele'd all over the place, but my overarching complaint is that each room was a big flat sprawling space with 90% of the enemies perched on ledges. The problem with that is that they aren't very threatening, and cleaning up a room takes a bit longer than is enjoyable, it was tempting to just skip em'. Maybe it's arguable that speeding through the map would be a bit more hectic/entertaining.

I like the idea of an under-the-sea setting for a map, and the crab thing was pretty amusing. I wonder if the underwater colormap would look good in certain places, or maybe it would just be overly blue then.

btw playing with GL-graphics this hallway was a big HOM-ish mess: http://i.imgur.com/ZaRyoHR.jpg

Ribbiks said:

btw playing with GL-graphics this hallway was a big HOM-ish mess: http://i.imgur.com/ZaRyoHR.jpg

Did you play it with the plutonia iwad? Cause I used a AMOSRK2 texture for it. Also, I tested this with GZDoom v. 1.4.8. and got no HOMs.

If you did play it with plutonia then I guess I might have to give it an ASHWALL texture then.

Will look to see what I can do to make it more threatening, like maybe more ground-level monsters or less supplies. Any suggestions?

-file aquacresents.wad nb_recol.wad -iwad plutonia.wad -vidmode gl

I'd advise testing in pr/glboom-plus, seeing as the sf series is boom-compat. plus if everything is peachy keen there it'll likely be perfect in zdoom too (at least I haven't seen any cases where that isn't true).

I think more ground enemies would help indeed, and maybe some more varied terrain to move around (some smaller scale ledges, rocks, pits, or something, idk). I wouldn't advise removing supplies, because that would probably just make things take longer or be more tedious (ssg'ing multiple cybs --> yuck)

Watched your FDA:

It's quite interesting that despite the fact that I loaded the demo with plutonia.wad, the plutonia textures A_CAMO1 and AMOSRK1 don't appear. I wonder why?

Garrrr, I can't believe I didn't kill you here, the closest you got were the five archies pouring in from the first blue room. I did laugh a bit in the second underwater area (with the first spiderdemon) as you stumbled to figure out where to go. Also, the one area with all the shotgun guys, can't believe how quickly they all died. And I laughed my ass off when you were trying to figure out the crab thing.

Too bad you couldn't find the one secret. It requires a VERY DIFFICULT jump. I noticed you attempted it twice. It was where there was a slight misalignment (this was intentional).
http://i.imgur.com/vJ6pHEh.png
You were supposed to jump there, and if you don't hit ground level, hug the walls until you somehow get through the bloodfall. Then you will (eventually) find the secret sector and loads of monsters.

I will definitely fix the part where the cybers were attacking you behind the bloodfalls, that was a design error on my part. Also, I plan to fix another design error I just noticed, with one of the staircases, you could get stuck between the ledge and the top stair on one of the staircases in the second underwater area.

However, I will probably not release a new version yet. Wait till others get to play the map to see what they think.

Just wanted to say, I got rid of the Plutonia textures altogether for the next version, so hopefully the OP would update it when I release it.

I just wanted to post here to say that a couple of years ago I got back into Doom and rediscovered some of the great WADs that had been made (eg. Hell Revealed) as well as some of the newer ones (eg. Speed of Doom) that I hadn't played before. I'm not an expert Doomer by any means, but have gone through the original Doom games on UV plenty of times and was looking for something a bit more challenging without having to play on Nightmare.

Then while scrolling through Youtube I came across a video by j4rio on a New Gothic map. I was amazed by the monster count and went to download and play the WAD. That introduced me to slaughter maps. I died countless times on the first map, but after I had finally completed it, I then realised that there were quite a few other slaughter WADs out there. I do agree with the sentiment that you can probably only do so many slaughter maps before the concept becomes a little tired, or it becomes tough to create something that isn't rehashing previous stuff. But I had immense fun playing through SF2011 and SF2012 with my brother, and am looking forward to SF2013 equally as much. The attention to detail in a lot of maps is amazing, such as putting in teleports if someone should die in a "trap" room in co-op and stuff.

I haven't played many maps of these working versions of SF2013 maps as I want them to be more of a surprise when I play them all in the full release. In my mind, "good" maps like this usually involve some sort of gauntlet run (not in every map obviously) or some neat layout. (Three Lines in this one for example) It feels like nearly everyone who contributes knows how to make maps tough without them being necessarily cheap.

My point really is that even if there's slightly less momentum in the mapping in this third year of SlaghterFest, there are surely plenty of people still enjoying playing them. =)

Desecration V4

Changes:
-Blue key path changed a lot, and there's a lot more monsters. More ammo and movement space provided also. The dead cacodemons are replaced with bloody messes so that vision isn't as terribly restricted.
-Yellow key path had monster ambush mechanics changed, and the secret is no longer an easy way out. The arch-vile is much less of a game breaker now.
-Two new secrets
-Red key ambush mechanics changed slightly
-Ammo in final area is reduced (again)
-Minor detail changes throughout
-FINALLY DIFFICULTIES

This might be final version, depends on if anyone has suggestions or find bugs. Enjoy!

Time for another map that I call: Pacman v3. Map requires the included pm-tex.wad. It contains textures from doom2, cc4-tex, gothictx and 2 custom textures.

This is probably how the original designers intended the game, but 30 years ago computers couldn't handle it so they scratched the 3D feature and a few mobs to make it more lightweight. Those who don't see any resemblance should use the automap or look at the item pickups. The big balls have been replaced with weapons, ammo and megaspheres. From that point you should be able to kill the monsters. The intermission has a familiar tune, which I considered too short for playback during the map.

TimeOfDeath said:

There is a doom mapping rule that says to always use revenants in your maps.

Amen.

Map stats:

Monster count (skill 4-5): near 2.7k
Secrets: 3
Difficulty settings: yes
Cooperative support: yes
Deathmatch support: nope

Gameplay required to complete the map:

Weaponstyle(s): BFG9000
Playstyle(s): Pacifist & Plow
2-Shot cybers: 1/10
Ammo management: 7/10
Circle strafe: 2/10
Crowd control: 10/10
Infight: 6/10
Jumpmaze: 3/10
Luck: 3/10
Map knowledge: 8/10
Secrets: 9/10
Time: 20-40 mins?
Tricks: 0/10
Other: 8/10 movement control

Overal difficulty: not tested, I would say 8.5/10? You tell me. ;) I didn't have much time to completely playtest the map.

degree23 said:

...My point really is that even if there's slightly less momentum in the mapping in this third year of SlaghterFest, there are surely plenty of people still enjoying playing them. =)

I can't speak for the other mappers around here. But thanks for the encouragement. This keeps me motivated. Making detailed maps and proper gameplay takes me hundreds of hours per map.

very creative and completely chaotic map, nice work! It's a nice mixup from the usual see-monster-shoot-monster or arena-based slaughtermaps. Thus far I've only made it to the BFG a couple times, furthest run I got was about 1k monsters in or so, will probably play with saves to see the rest. It's fast-paced all the way through, and I imagine working out a sensible max-route would be a tremendous pain. Anyways, great stuff! cool wc2 midi too :)

On a side-note, I was contemplating the idea of delaying the release of this project until 2014, to allow for the accrual of more quality maps, to allow for more laborious playtesting (especially MP, once maps are compiled) up front, and to offer a brief break for anyone feeling the series is running low on steam. SF12 was sort of an exercise in perpetual post-"final release" edits, so if nothing else I'd like to avoid that again :)

Let me know what you guys think.

Funny, I wanted to suggest extending this to 2014 as well. That way I would probably be able to find enough time to play submissions thoroughly, hopefully.

Great idea Ribbiks. Actually, I wanted to suggest releasing a test version before 2013 so the final version would be released in January 2013. But maybe 2013 is too early indeed. Unless we suddenly get a lot of new maps posted before November and we do some very organized playtesting (including multiplayer for both Zandronum and ZDaemon).

I still like the ideas for map30 too:

dobugabumaru said:

Throwing out an idea before this project gets really far underway for MAP30: a compilation of single arenas from all of the authors involved in the project. I think it'd be neat to end on a bit of a hodge-podge of different styles from the different mappers. You could exit through a tele and plop down into another persons arena. Only issue would be that the gameplay will probably be so varied not many people may like it.

TimeOfDeath said:

I like that idea. Maybe you could start in an area with teleporters to each arena of your choice, then teleport back to start after finishing each arean?

If this is what we want, then we better make a plan. Some scheduling/deadlines will be needed or this project might even end up in 2015. Especially when every mapper wants to decide which of his arena(s) he wants to include for map30. So... what do we want?

Doubt something like that would happen since this is made for Boom, but I dunno. Cool idea nonetheless.

In fact, you can always release whatever you've got, no one persuades you to make full 32(+)-map megawad. And you can also ignore bitchings like mine and proceed with egoistic approach, me seeing the lack of quality in these maps doesn't mean that they truely lack it for everyone and no one would appreciate them, you know. What I proposed was not to delay the release until the next year, but to take a yearly break (or a longer one if you wish) after sf2013 is made. Of course I think that a half-year of "post-production" like with sf12 is not an option, it's extremely tiresome and simply annoying both for compilers and players.

tl;dr: No map influx - release what you've got and then take a slaughterfest-free vacation. I think it's better.