Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
subject_119

[Doom II]Daylight

Hm, it's a neat map. The hub-style gameplay is somewhat unusual, but it's pretty fun as a whole. Nice going.

Lovely map! Reminded me of classic wads like Memento Mori 2, which is a very good thing of course. You have a lot of interesting ideas.
However, I had some problems with it:
- Jumping down to the cyberdemon area was difficult, infinitely tall imps would always block me.
- Tiny HOMs were visible on linedefs 1109, 1110, etc.
- Very confusing ending, how am I supposed to figure out that I have to get back to the arena-like location? I just looked in Doom Builder...
- Sector 522: empty secret?
- Running away from the cyberdemon looks rather easy. I didn't do it but...
- You are almost forced to pick up some items even if you don't need them yet.
Well, that's about it. You can watch the demo of my playthrough if you want.

the yellow switches / doors are one huge confusing clusterfuck. after i used the yellow switch, the OTHER yellow door opened, not the one that is closer. once i got to the new area (it's the room that also has the empty secret), i had to give up, didn't know where to go.

i did enjoy the map up to that point, though, since i really like non-linear maps. the only room i didn't like was the one with the cyberdemon, that was also the first time i died. it's too hard to see where it's safe to go when you either drop down or jump into the building.

Hello there, thank for the feedbacks. about the imp area, I will admit that I forgot before realeasing to add little blocking monster lines to block the imps and allow the player to jump.
Thank you for the screen, the game auto textured this grid door, you are supposed to see the arena-like zone like would say memfis and you can see the switch on the other side. This is a bug and it is fixed now.

The mysterious empty secret now have items x)

New link : http://www.mediafire.com/?c15dfk9xusy2ko5

You've made some nice examples of architecturally interesting areas and interconnectivity. Size of the map and of particular rooms is just the right in my opinion, with the exception of several cramped areas. Fights are fine too, nothing much outstanding on them, but shooting fun is present. You've mastered some tricks with invisible wall doors, good. I think your weak point is texturing, because I found on many places that the textures are badly clashing with each other, resulting in a rather bad visual impression. Some contrasts are interesting, such as the grey/green area. But you've got a lot of areas where colors just doesn't fit together well (brown+silver, dark+bright, blue without borders...) At any given area, stick to one texture theme (marble, computer, brown wall...) while each part of a detail may have a different texture of this theme, and add borderline textures to "separate the themes", ideally along with changing the light level. For future mapping, I'd also recommend you to improve ceiling variation. Not that you didn't have any, but for example the central area's ceiling looks strange, although detailed (it even floats in air!). Also ceiling variation in outdoor areas. Manipulating with ceiling height of SKY sectors brings a risk of visual glitches, but also may make the area look better when done properly, specially in combination with cliffs/floor variation.

I've found only one secret in your map, which was gun-activated wall, good to see such a thing from time to time.

A little problem with your map (even the newer version) is that it's still not always obvious where to go next, what did that switch actually do, etc. It would be better to somehow let the player see what happened after pressing (every) switch and where he should go. I know you tried, but I'm for example still not sure how did it happen that red and yellow keys lowered.

Except the things I mentioned, I liked your map and wish you good luck with future mapping!