Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paar

Hexen: DKotDC Balance Patch v1.0

If some of you think that Hexen: Death Kings of the Dark Citadel is frustrating, you can try my patch that attemps to balance the difficulty of the game. Let me know what you think!

Download Link

Unofficial Hexen: DKotDC Balance Patch v1.0
===========================================

by Paar, April 2012

The official expansion for Hexen has some terrific levels but a constant spawning
of tough monsters is kind of annoying, especially for those who are playing the game
for the first time and just need to explore. This patch adresses the problem.
So no monsters that are capable of firing projectiles are being spawned (Afrits, Serpents,
Stalker Bosses, Bishops, Slaughtaurs and Reivers), just Ettins (like in the original Hexen)
and in some cases Centaurs. And no Stalkers as you cannot see them which is not fun.
There are some exceptions:

MAP44: Catacomb - there is slight chance that Wendigos will spawn.
MAP47: Pyre - only Afrits are being spawned, althought in a noticably smaller number.
MAP51: Locus Requiescatt - only Reivers will spawn. However this time their number is not
infinite, you can kill them all eventually and have some peace.
MAP53: Armory - this level is already heavy action packed, so no monster spawning.
MAP59: Ice Hold - only Wendigos are being spawned, althought in a noticably smaller number.

Even though only Ettins are being spawned in most cases, the game is still much harder than
the original Hexen. I didn't have time to properly test the patch, so let me know if there
are any problems. And yeah, it works with Vanilla Hexen.

How to use the patch:
---------------------

The game needs to be patched to version 1.1. Just unpack the archive to the folder with
HEXDD.WAD and run the PATCH.BAT file, the original WAD will be renamed to HEXDD.BAK.

So basically, you changed this?

(Proofreading note: "are being spawned". Past participle.)

I can see the interest, but at the same time, ettins are so boring that I like that there's more variety in Deathkings. In any way, I'm not planning on playing through Deathkings anytime soon, so I don't have much reason to try this now.

And I bet that when I'll want to try it, the mediafire link will have expired. You should get that patch on /idgames.

Or, if you don't want to make it official, upload it to files.drdteam.org, which is specially for idtech1 mods.

Gez said:

So basically, you changed this?

(Proofreading note: "are being spawned". Past participle.)

I can see the interest, but at the same time, ettins are so boring that I like that there's more variety in Deathkings. In any way, I'm not planning on playing through Deathkings anytime soon, so I don't have much reason to try this now.

And I bet that when I'll want to try it, the mediafire link will have expired. You should get that patch on /idgames.

Ok, I added a mirror link (and corrected the text).

By the way, in the expansion there are so many monsters at times that you won't be bored for sure. But if they keep spawning, it just isn't fun. It's like you cannot win.
Of course no one is forcing you to use the patch. It's only for those who don't like the original spawning system.

I wouldn't say it's too hard - but the excessive monster respawning definitely gets annoying after some time.

First time I played and completed Deathkings I was so fucked off by the aggressive spawning rate of enemies and it having to be everything I seem to of killed. After recently re-beating Deathkings however (on skill 4 no less) I don't really mind it now. The constant killing breaks up the monotony of having to run around hunting for clues around the map, something Hexen II could've seriously benefited from.

Hexen never seemed to be about how many kills you tallied over time though, with enough knowledge of the game and depending on the class you play, you might as well just run past most enemies and only kill what poses an immediate threat.

Cyanosis said:

Hexen never seemed to be about how many kills you tallied over time though, with enough knowledge of the game and depending on the class you play, you might as well just run past most enemies and only kill what poses an immediate threat.

Which is why adding experience and leveling really does fill in a needed dimension for the game, IMO. Especially when there's constant spawning, because then you can farm EXP if you feel like it.

That's why I added leveling to my Pig Hexen mod. The gameplay would be very flat and boring without it.

Death Kings of the Dark Citadel was disappointing because of the lack of a unique final boss, you just fight evil versions of each character class again.