Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jayextee

Classic vanilla WAD recommends (for play on PSP)?

Alright, so I've made friends with PSP Doom because I got a signed executable (don't wanna mess with my firmware) and finally got over how awful weapon-switching is. I think this is alright for Doom on the move.

So. What vanilla-friendly (and possibly lower than contemporary skill because the controls aren't amazing) Doom 1/2 WADs should I stick on there? For Doom 1, only the first three episodes are supported.

I'm already thinking on Needs More Detail, Doom The Way id Did (and its sequel) and I don't know. Memento Mori?

Recommend stuff for fun, stress-free, on-the-go play. I prefer brief descriptions as opposed to a mere list.

Marswar - 32 levels from 1995, lots of nonlinearity and optional areas, many unusual, almost surreal designs (one map has a giant floating toothbrush, in another you can go inside the author's computer, etc). Most songs are MOD tracks converted to MIDI, the resulting sound is kinda unique. Pretty easy all the way through.
Some screenshots - http://toastytech.com/doom/mwshots.html

Yeah, Marswar is exactly what springs to mind when I read the OP. Great WAD, though IIRC it goes a bit off the rails around Map15.

I would have said Ultimate Needs More Detail instead of NMD. The Serenity series is a good one as well for Doom episodes (There were three (I think) that fill the first episode). Been a long time since I've played them but I remember another one being called Infinity I can't remember the third one's name though. Fava Beans and Phobos Return were another good couple of wads that were easy. My mind is a bit hazy at the moment so I can't remember many.

Springy said:

I would have said Ultimate Needs More Detail instead of NMD.

Yeah, this is what I meant. Whoops.

I've only just got around to playing it; since it was recommended in another thread. I gotta say, one of the best Episode 2 replacements ever -- great finale to an episode with a more cohesive thematic progression than the original. I've got episode 3 to go, but I won't mind sticking it on my PSP to do again. It was a bit good, that.

Jayextee said:

Yeah, this is what I meant. Whoops.

I've only just got around to playing it; since it was recommended in another thread. I gotta say, one of the best Episode 2 replacements ever -- great finale to an episode with a more cohesive thematic progression than the original. I've got episode 3 to go, but I won't mind sticking it on my PSP to do again. It was a bit good, that.

A bit good? I thought it was an amazing megawad in my opinion. I heard about it on Realm 667 a while back along with Wonderful Doom (I remembered that one earlier and they were both featured on one of their pages, NMD and WD). Oh, Danne's E1 replacement is another good one.