Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Binary

How has your life changed since you first enrolled in the forums?

It's been more than a decade since the inception of the Doomworld Forums.

For any person, this is a significant ammount of time, time for plenty of things to change. We are all bound to complete the transition from one period of life to the next. From youth, to adulthood. From a rebellious mindset, to a possibly familistic one. From one wave of technology, to the next. From one wife to another, and then another.
And the process repeats, until we become sick and old, no longer able to keep up. That's life, a stupid short fucking cunt.

But I'm not here for such pessimistic thoughts, and as you might have guessed, this thread is directed especially at those of you who have the registration date in the early 2000's. The "forum veterans" of you, in other words.

So. You've been on the forums for 10 years now. How have things have changed in your life since you first joined? Have you married someone? Divorced? Perhaps multiple times? How many lines of code have you written? How many jobs have you switched? Do you see yourself as having grown up, more mature? Perhaps, even more boring?

Post your life's story here.

I didn't post much when I first signed up, but still--9 years is a long time! A lot has changed. I've moved to two different states, and moved at least five times overall in the last decade. Gone through a couple girlfriends. And now I'm an adoptive dad.

And in all this time I've completed one map.

Since I joined the forums... 13 or so years ago... Pretty much everything except my marital status has changed in my life.

Since I was 14? I'd rather not bore with the details. It's the usual coming-of-age stuff. Currently well into my career, not married, no kids, no plans for either.

Lurked unregistered on the site back in 08 but didn't join until mid 09 so only 4 years since really, I was at TAFE doing programming for the first half of the year but gave up after only a few months of the later half (which was after I joined here) due to stress and depression weighing me down, nothing much has changed about my life since apart from joining a certain scene and meeting people since the beginning of this year.

I tell people I play 20 year old games that look better than Minecraft and they (try to) punch me in the face. Doom and Doomworld are lifechangers.

Although the forums have been a bit addictive at times (so many questions worth answering, with such high frequency!) I can't say they've affected my life significantly. Rather, I should look at the bigger picture, Doom. I'm hopefully spending more academic time with Doom than before (chiefly programming on Doom, not playing or mod editing), so it's not all in vain.

It's been 2 years on Doomworld, and 4 years since joining the Skulltag forums. What has changed? I once looked back at my first/older(-est) posts and felt like an incomprehensible tard.

edit typo

BloodyAcid said:

I once looked back at my first/older(-est) posts and felt like an incomprehensible tard.

Ditto.
EDIT: What bothers me is this was only 13 months ago.

2004: Joined DW, took on a mortgage
2005: Dylan born
2007: Promoted
2008: Seperated from Dylan's Mum
2010: New GF moves in
2011: Engaged, turned 30
2013: Promoted again

Oh god, it's been 11 years and three months since I've joined? In that time I've had only one job (which lasted all those 11 years), gotten married, went from male to female, lived in Japan briefly, switched religions twice, realized I absolutely hated programming, and released four albums and five EPs. My lines of code must be around 1 million, heh.

When I registered I was a teenager who was trapped in unemployment and didn't know what he wants to do with his life. Now I'm a 30 year old who is trapped in job I don't like and doesn't know what I want to do with his life.

But! I now have a long list of things I can say for sure I don't want to do and that's sort of progress I guess?

Captain Red said:

When I registered I was a teenager who was trapped in unemployment and didn't know what he wants to do with his life. Now I'm a 30 year old who is trapped in job I don't like and doesn't know what I want to do with his life.

But! I now have a long list of things I can say for sure I don't want to do and that's sort of progress I guess?

Pretty much this.

I have grown more jaded and cynical over the years. I would call that progress, I guess.

Well, when I joined, I didn't even have a High School diploma. Now I have a Bachelor's Degree. Other than a few people who post less/not at all anymore, not a lot has changed.

And for being here as long as I have, I have exactly 0 maps to my name.

I get to say the stupidest things and tell the stupidest stories without any ties to real life.

Technician said:

I have grown more jaded and cynical over the years. I would call that progress, I guess.

Ditto. The jaded and cynical side blames me being jaded and cynical on my experiences in the workplace and with education.

-Got a BA in history
-Moved to L.A.
-Worked as a file clerk for nearly 2 years
-Now work as an AP guy closer to home
-Came to realization that this debt is nigh-insurmountable
-Wrote a screenplay

Not bad for 4 years, I guess.

Lets check my personal timeline here :P

1999- Discovered Doom
2003- Discover Doomworld and lurks around for 6 years
2008- graduated high school
2009- Join Doomworld
2010- Got a Certified Nursing Assistance license and starts working at a nursing home
2011- Got married :)
2013- Yep still here :P

I joined when I was 14, now I'm 20. Pretty much everything in my life has changed, I agree with the more cynical with age statement. But hey, I got the computer I dreamed of when I was a kid and now I can actually write some semi-decent C and C++, so that's something. Now if only I could keep the focus to do something with it.

Hmm, 7 years it's been for me. That's 1 part time job, that I quit after a year, finishing 6th form, getting a BSc (Hons) in computer games software development, having a job for over a year, being made redundant from it and then getting basically the same job elsewhere for better pay within two months.

I'm only 23, but well onboard with the "Don't like my job, don't know what I want, now jaded and cynical" crowd. Still, I've visited quite a few countries for the first time in these 7 years, so it's not all bad.

I've also released something like 65 maps in that time, to a thunderous disinterest :p