Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Seele00TextOnly

Incompletable Maps Project

I propose a megawad that is, in a word, impossible. Every level, not necessarily every room, should be incapable of being beaten without cheating.

We need to put Blue Keys behind the Blue Doors. We need teleporters that land you on pads covered with barrels. We need rockets only in a map full of Demons.

In short, it is time that the forces of hell became smart. We will show the enemy how it is done.

I currently have three planned maps, I'm not sure my one devious mind can fully compose a whole megawad of this quality by myself. I'm going to need your help, if you're up to it.

Thanks, or at least thanks for reading!

Edit: Oh and it's gotta be Boom compatible!

Oh wow, great! I'm glad to see enthusiasm for the project.

Xaser, I played your map and while I know it has potential and you're an excellent mapper, I'm afraid it's just not what this project is looking for as is. For starters, the premise was stated to include the notion that these maps "should be incapable of being beaten without cheating". Yet I'm afraid there is no exit linedef action in your map, so that just won't do. Also it pains me to say that we're looking for maps a bit more complex, could this be expanded into being a substantially larger work? The crusher was lots of fun. I'm sure you can do it!

Dobugabumaru, I'm not familiar with your works but I'm certainly intrigued with my first taste. As with Xaser's, however, I'm afraid that this is far too simple for the project as is. There unfortunately just isn't that much to do in the map. I really liked the barrel placements, both kinds of them. Also it was neat getting telefragged even with cheats on! That was clever. I'm looking forward to seeing what more you can do with it.

Both of you, along with Essel and Mini, welcome aboard!

Hmmm I don't know. That is larger, yes, but it's not very complicated. I've already seen a lot of positive response to this map in the #doomtwid channel, for example, and I do know that the standards there are high. However I'm afraid I still can't include the map as is, I don't want to enable poor map construction. I don't want to fall into the community project trap of hugboxing, you see, and I'm trying to adhere to a set of standards for the project to help it attain a level of quality that encourages and rewards play.

Now, I'm not saying this map is bad by any means, in fact the hall of mirrors feeling the repetition has is very contemplative. And I can only blame myself really, for starting the project without yet having a map or two to demonstrate the sort of bar we're looking to set here. For that I apologize. I do look forward to posting a work soonish in here, though it will likely not be this week. In the meantime I encourage you to keep working on your game and your design, and know that you have my full support.

A first glance misread of the thread title as "Incomplete Maps Project" had me wondering if its purpose was to create unfinished maps for hardcore_gamer's project. That would have been fun, since I seem to have a talent for starting maps then running out of ideas.

I'll give it a shot.

Xaser said:

That place looks vaguely familiar.

Wow. What a fucking douchebag thread. Making fun of newbies and their weird project ideas is not excactly new and you're doing a terrible job when you're trying to be funny. Keep your fucking btsx hybris to yourselves.

dannebubinga said:

Wow. What a fucking douchebag thread. Making fun of newbies and their weird project ideas is not excactly new and you're doing a terrible job when you're trying to be funny. Keep your fucking btsx hybris to yourselves.

I hope you're not under the impression that this is a mockwad, because I'm really serious about wanting to head up something that might be unique and fun.

And it's spelled 'hubris'. And 'exactly'.

Mocking a thread that is literally the embodiment of the lowest depths of laziness, is not mocking newbies. There are plenty of quality projects for new contributors (The Birth for example).

dannebubinga said:

You might want to readjust the height of your horse, good sir knight. hardcore_gamer is most certainly not a newbie around here. Unless... you're being a snide jerk, implying he hasn't outgrown the newbie status since 2007. How crass!

Grain of Salt said:

Dew why do you hate horses so much :l

Horse, all of them are filthy horse!

an_mutt said:

An ordinary map full of 25-unit staircases, COMING RIGHT UP.

Brilliant. I actually laughed at this.

Incompletable maps? Dude, we've already got Slaughterfest.

Spoiler

Just kidding. I'm actually getting into those things... on ITYTD ^^;

Yes, this idea is probably stolen from my beautiful Trick or cheat submission for slaughterfest 2013. Except, my map is actually possible.

Seele00TextOnly said:

Hmmm I don't know. That is larger, yes, but it's not very complicated. I've already seen a lot of positive response to this map in the #doomtwid channel, for example, and I do know that the standards there are high. However I'm afraid I still can't include the map as is, I don't want to enable poor map construction. I don't want to fall into the community project trap of hugboxing, you see, and I'm trying to adhere to a set of standards for the project to help it attain a level of quality that encourages and rewards play.

Now, I'm not saying this map is bad by any means, in fact the hall of mirrors feeling the repetition has is very contemplative. And I can only blame myself really, for starting the project without yet having a map or two to demonstrate the sort of bar we're looking to set here. For that I apologize. I do look forward to posting a work soonish in here, though it will likely not be this week. In the meantime I encourage you to keep working on your game and your design, and know that you have my full support.

She's got to be trollin'. I'm pretty sure this project is all about buggy impossible maps that require cheating...

I've seen a lot of "meh, I'll pass..." community projects in my time on these forums, but this might well be one of the least worth doing. I mean, you could make your magnum opus and then just put the exit switch in a 55-unit tall corridor, just out of reach. Or up a 25-unit tall step. Or in a niche that can't be stepped into. Or you could make your magnum opus.

I'd be interested in making a map for this, I think it's a funny idea, unless there's going to be strict QC'ing going on. For a project that requires cheats? I guess I don't get it. Cheats were fun in the 90's when I sucked at the iwads.

Might pay to wait for the OP to post a map and some clarifications so we have a better idea of what he has in mind.

Phobus said:

put the exit switch in a 55-unit tall corridor

STOP STEALING MY IDEAS! I'd also though of placing monsters under doors that close permanently when they're killed.

Would be funny to make an ocean map where the keys are at the bottom and you need to get them to finish the map, obviously you would drown before you could make it back up with the key XD. Oh there would be a boat on the surface that has a door that requires that key to beat the map.