Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Kama Sutra

MAP19 Natural

I'm not particularly fond of this one (neither is the author apparently, if you read the readme). It's not one of the best designed levels (although the turret where the chaingunner sits is awesome), and it's gameplay can be somewhat confusing. Be prepared for a cyberdemon right at the start folks, he's a meanie. An archvile appears when you pick up the plasma gun, and there are cacodemons all throughout the map. It's too cramped for a good reality go overall and I didn't go for it. The exit teleporter has a lot of monsters guarding it, but they will more or less fight each other, as there's two peaking windows where they can try to attack me. Hitting the blue and yellow switches prompts more cacodemons, as well as zombies on the demon face, which for me has always been messy. Not a decent level. Final Time 5:59.

EDIT: Nice one joe-ilya :P.

Map19 - “Natural” by Adolf Vojta

This one starts off as quite a cool fight for survival, though its a bit of a rocket lottery dancing around the cyber at the beginning. I only realised later there is a spot you can happily sit and shotgun him to death from behind an impaled corpse. The remains of the map are an interesting set of challenges made slightly tiring by some back and forth switch hunting. The map itself is fighting against you here, with awkward and cramped scenery to navigate, though it does allow you to watch from a window while the small army guarding the exit decimate themselves. Plenty of archvile usage, quite deadly in groups, but plenty of health around. Some of the colour coded switches and door markings are a bit unintuitive maybe, but its a small enough map that it doesn't take long trying everything with a red skull on it to see which thing the red key opens.

Map 19 - "Natural" - 100% Kills/Secret - HMP Skill.

True to its name, this is a very earthy looking level with lots of vines, and brown/green earthy tones. It's not as grand or as open-ended as the previous level. In fact, it's mostly linear with only the illusive red door switch being a challenge to find. As Cannonball pointed out, I loved the chaingunner manning the cannon.

The battles were certainly easier than the previous map. The two cybers were rather easy - the first can't even hit you if you're in one of the corners, and the second got significantly weakened by the opposition surrounding it. Overall, an alright level, not my favorite but certainly not among the weakest.

Map18: The Train Is Approaching

Pretty much agree totally with others here, just a great map in all aspects. Love the hectic start and the challenge of it, killed me a couple of times before figuring out a good strategy. I decided to go for the SSG near the Plasma rifle instantly and work my way from there. After the start the level eases up a bit and you can advance in your own pace and way. I didn't remember where to go at all and as a result wandered around all over the place which lead to an ammo shortage at one point. But I'm fairly certain it was only because of the unconventional route since it seemed like there was more than enough ammo to go around after that. Health is also rather generously handed out which makes the map not very tough to finish after surviving the start but the fast pace it allows makes up for it easily. Great map, one of my favorites in this wad.

Map19: Natural

Another nightmarish start, this time the main antagonist is the extremely deviously placed Cyber greeting you as you step outside. At first I tried ignoring him since I remembered that the area would fill with other enemies at certain points. The Cyber never really killed me but it almost always nagged away some of my health as I ran around confused looking for the way to go. Then at some point I'd eventually bite the dust somewhere around the map and I had to start the freaking avoiding the Cyber -game all over again. After three or four deaths I'd had enough and decided to take down the Cyber with the SSG straight up. Pretty awkward if you don't use the trick mouldy mentions but I managed to do it anyway and never looked back.

After that it was a peaceful stroll, apart from a couple of instances featuring Archie trios respectively. The Plasma Gun trap is nicely done and is probably going to hurt you bad the first time. It's one of the spots that killed me in my earlier attempts too. The Red Door one... oh god. From 200/200 to 10/0 in a matter of seconds and then it was a desperate corner abuse affair with the plasma rifle for the next thirty seconds. The same Arach must have been resurrected at least four times before all was said and done. The finale was nothing but a solitary Cyber waiting in a sea of carcasses which was not very surprising but slightly disappointing anyway. An alright level all in all.

Cyber Machine - K:90% S:100%

Sorry guys, I couldn't do it. I'm not much of a slaughter map player and I knew this but still forced myself to give KS a go-through. This map killed me so many times I lost count. I did fine until the the end part. When the Cacos come out and I still have so many Revs and Arch-Viles hanging around, it was just too much.

This map screams gimmick map and has plenty of interesting encounters. Between the platforming and killing four Cyberdemons in sequence I wasn't expecting much, then the end comes and I'm assaulted by Revenants and Arch-Viles. Constant motion kept me alive but once Cacodemons started filing in and blocking paths, it just got to be too much. And a couple times I lasted long enough for Cyberdemons to show up which I know I could just run to the exit but I didn't figure that out until after I IDDQD'd.

I'm thinking about either Buddha-ing through the rest of it or restarting on a lower skill level (assuming it only continues to ramp up difficulty-wise). We'll see. Even if I didn't die a bajillion times, I wasn't a fan of this level.

The Train is Approaching - K:99% S:50%

I am happy to report that I got through this one without Degreelessness though it was hard.

I loved this level's architecture as it had a bit of everything texture-wise but also flowed seamlessly. Unlike the random mish-mash of textures seen in previous maps, this level integrates it all and yet nothing manages to be out of place. This level took me forever though simple because I could not find the Blue Key. Jumping into the pit where the Cyber once was didn't scream "HEY! There's a key down here!" so I ended up clearing the majority of the map before I even picked up a key.

The only part I really struggled with was the beginning and the mass of Revenants that teleport in near the first Plasma Gun. Other than that, ammo was bountiful, health was bountiful. Overall a great map, and deceptively easy compared to the previous map.

Also, where the hell was the last (few) monster(s)?

Natural -K:100% S:50%

This map proved to be tough, though not for the reasons you might expect. I would rather deal with that horde of monsters in the middle of the map ten times over than have to fight three Arch-Viles at once. Needless to say, getting the red key, and opening the red door were both problematic and caused me a few deaths (but not quite enough to throw my hands up in the air and say 'fuck it').

The level stays true to its name, it is a very earthy setting, nothing too fancifully outlandish is in the map. It did remind me very much of a Plutonia map. I liked the idea of going back to the start of the map to unlock the Yellow and Blue bars. The middle section was an 'oh crap' moment for me, but luckily there is a Cyberdemon in the fray and he was kind enough to clear out everything for me.

Speaking of kind Cyberdemons, the first one didn't even fire a rocket until I was well up the left path allowing me to kill the Cacodemons and come back later for a proper duel.

All in all a difficult romp but manageable, with a little luck on my side no doubt.

Map20 - “Traps” by Adolf Vojta
Ah this map, well it starts off rather slowly until you pick up the red key. Mostly some small scale but tough fights. I dislike the inconsistent use of damaging floors here. The "traps" I can remember and avoided them. I didn't do too badly here.
Then you pick up the red key and quite simply shit hits the fan, monsters spawn all over the place. I went for the tunnel area containing imps and pain elementals to take cover from the mass of mid-tier enemies coming down the stairs from the previous area. This was the best option though lost souls annoyed me greatly. One thing to note is that you don't need the red or yellow key to finish the map (I believe), but I picked them up anyway so I could get 100% kills. The yellow key is tough and be quick hitting the switch which lowers the yellow key because you will die otherwise. After the yellow door it's a case of a line ride to the finish. The canyon bit almost caught me out as a cyber teleported behind me after I took out the cyber/MM combo. After this it's pretty simple.
There is plenty of health and tonnes of ammo so feel free to spam away. It's a fun map but with some frustrating moment. you can drop down to the slime river near the red door, but it's surrounded by barrels so anyone playing in vanilla/pr-boom would be screwed here. Oh well I guess it does kind of live up to it's namesake. Onwards to hell

Map20 - “Traps” by Adolf Vojta

Instant death barrels from nowhere is a bit pants. Besides that and the inconsistent nukage there are some fun battles in here, and I ended up with over 1200 kills, more than twice the starting number of monsters. I'm guessing that central skirmish with the cloud of pain elementals is to blame, I hid in the archvile bunker and watched everything killing each other through the magical doorway that no monster shall pass. By the end of the map dealing with cybers became something of a chore, since I had become accustomed to saving every half a minute thanks to the instant death traps it kind of drained the danger out of it all so I'd just be playing sloppy and saving all the time.

MAP20 - UV - 102% kills 50% secrets - savestate use - scratch start ~

This map is good and really white , guess this could be a map in "Monochromic Mapping Project" :P
Traps are damned and hard , just a warmer to hell.
The exit is wierd , why do I jump into the nukage? Oh yeah , forgot that the rest of the maps are in hell , reminds me of E1M8 ending.
Damaging floors are random but the texture is same , which makes this a wierd map.
This map is one of the best efforts.
It's also a big map with lots of places to go , not just backtracking and seeing random traps on the way.

MAP20 Traps

*Regular Run*

The concept here is teleport-barrel combination traps to smack an unsuspecting player. Where there's a weapon for grabs but then barrels that explode show up to smite the player. They happen in about three places. Other than that, there's lotsa imps, as always. Lotsa 3d stuff, including the X'd out door in the beginning, the bridge, and the crane that lowers the blue key. The invulnerabilities make some slaughter parts a total breeze (The switch in the brown hut had imps instead of archviles on HNTR, and I didn't fight more archviles afterwards). In the slime tunnel, if you fall to the pool below where the red door is, you can skip the yellow key and go on. I didn't fight a spiderdemon (thankfully) but used the invulnerability in the YK room to clean out the exit parts, including the cyberdemon, before backtracking to take care of the rest of the stragglers. A fun level for blowing up imps and stuff. Final Time 6:56.

*Reality Run*

Not easy at all. I quickly climb up past the first "trap" ignoring supplies and kill the zombies from afar, keeping my head to one side of a wall so I can chaingun them without them hitting back. Then, it's usual imps and cacos up to the big red building, where I play sneaky with more zombiemen and their friends. Blue key I actually coaxed the trap with the RL with some attempts before getting the blue key. Afterwards, I grab the secret invulnerability to use on the cyberdemon, and use it and the other invuln next to the BFG so I could slaughter the enemies without them hurting me. So much fun to go nuts when invulnerable :). Dodging imps' fireball in the big tunnel proved fruitful, and I didn't skip the yellow key this time, where there's even more imps to go around. One of the switches in the YK room bars you in and teleports barrels. There's a trick to avoiding it and still pressing the switch, have some distance so that you can hit the switch but not cross the linedef that locks you in. Not easy but doable. Behind the yellow gates I snipe some enemies including the ones behind the next door, then I rush to get the invulnerability I saved earlier in the YK room and run like hell to the cyberdemon so I can slap him with my BFG before it runs out. Then I clean up the remaining enemies that I ran past before exiting. Phew, hard no-hitter to do. Final Time 13:24.

Sorry to pull a Capellan and do this early, but any preferences on next month's megawad?. I looked around and it doesn't seem like we have any new releases in the last month or so, so we're probably going between Hellbound, Concerned, and 3 Heures again.

I'm gonna pull a wildcard and vote for 100 Lines, since I've wanted to see what everyone else did. We could also do both a traditional and nontraditional map per day.

dobugabumaru said:

any preferences on next month's megawad?

I said this in an earlier post but I was thinking about The 100th Wave by Scypek2. Quite interesting vanilla compatible wad that is rather unnoticed.

Going to vote for D2TWID simply because fonz promised to have it released by the 1st.

Tarnsman said:

Going to vote for D2TWID simply because fonz promised to have it released by the 1st.

Don't be tricked by his October Fool's Day prank.

dobugabumaru said:

I'm gonna pull a wildcard and vote for 100 Lines, since I've wanted to see what everyone else did. We could also do both a traditional and nontraditional map per day.

I played through 21 maps of the Traditional MegaWAD today in a couple of hours - it's amazing how good half of those maps actually are, given the restriction! I'd definitely recommend more people give it a go. It'll be a nice, light play (well... Bar one or two maps) after how rough Kama Sutra can be. It's got a similar appeal to Khorus' Speedy Shit or that Mini Level MegaWAD, but with lower production values, IMO.

Beta testing for the second contemporary month on the bounce, I'll pass to be honest.
I guess there are a few megawads out to play. I will list the ones I've heard of
Hellbound
3 Heures
100 lines
Slaughterfest 2012 (lol)
Doomworld megawad project 2012
Concerned

Ones in Beta
100th wave
Pirate Doom
D2TWID
D2INO

There are probably more to be honest. My picks would either be Hellbound or Pirate doom.
Of course we course break the rules and play 1994TU anyway :P

darkreaver said:

Vanguard of course.

Or Surge.

Edith: oh nevermind, those arent full megawads.

Vanguard is 13 maps, counting the "outro" map, and Surge is 17, so you could do a combined month.

Map 20 - "Traps" - 99% Kills/all Secrets - HMP Skill.

Traps indeed, this is a nice finale to episode 2, and one of the most difficult and the biggest slaughterfest since map 31. The traps ranged from just plain cruel in a funny way (the teleporting barrels), to tricky (the release of all those monsters from the sewers. In fact it's the latter battle that gave me the most trouble. Especially the nearly dozen pain elementals and their endless supply of lost souls.

The whole layout of the level was nicely done, a nice green slime and white techbase theme. I really liked the unusual angles that were present in parts of the map as if it was made without the grid on. The level of detail though was never too distracting and the challenge was hard enough that I both enjoyed and struggled with this level.

Don't use Surge. I'm not saying Joshy may be working on it again, but I'm also not saying he may not be. I have no idea if that makes grammatical sense, but don't use Surge.

Traps - K:99% S:50%

I enjoyed this level. A mix of natural rock formations and nukage facility melded perfectly into a coherent level. The traps seemed to be a few spots where barrels would teleport in and explode, instantly halting your progress. The Yellow key room killed me and the very first room caught me by surprise but no damage done. By the time I was at the very cool crane with the blue key, I was expecting that barrel trap around every corner and confined space.

The red key trap was too much to handle for me but that was indeed the hardest part of the level so once you clear that part out, the rest of the level is smooth sailing.

I'm not sure if the second to last Cyber is supposed to teleport in behind you after you leap across on to the rock formation in the cave but I somehow sprung him early and was able to get him through the windows as I had back tracked a little due to the monsters on the cliffs to my right. Conveniently, the Mastermind and the Cyber hanging out in front of it killed each other simultaneously.

Lastly, there is an imp that is hanging out under the large bridge on the path to the blue key stuck in the environment, no doubt the cause for my 99%.

Fallen behind since my computer was out of commission for awhile; hopefully my new hard drive fixes it. Catching up...

MAP13: The Holocaust II

Well, it certainly has the same theme, with the realistic street setting and the huge amount of monsters popping up outta nowhere. As others have said, the lack of teleports this time make it a much easier fight (and I just ran away and let them infight). Later battles get tougher though - the insta-appearing imps on the rooftop almost border on bullshit since having the wrong weapon out will get you killed before you can switch. I actually really enjoyed the visuals on this level - the helicopter, subway station (great texture choices) and the upturned truck are all top notch (though I wonder why the truck has no axles, and how it's on the roof...)

My vote for next month's WAD is, categorically, for Hellbound.

Map 20 -- Traps - 103% Kills / 100% Secrets
Ah, I think this is one of the most memorable maps in KS. Like map 14, it's big and open and positively drowning in both poisonous ooze and fresh air. Depicted is a part of a large tunnel system running through some foothills of bleached white stone, but there's ooze positively everywhere (some of it actually damages this time, although for some reason most of it doesn't). The little bits of scenery visible in the distance and the occasional piece of human artifice at various points suggest the slime-drenched condition of the area is not its natural state, almost as if there's a little mountain town now submerged somewhere down in all that green. Apart from quirky little 'realistic' constructions like the crane with the little cage at the end of its arm, the structure of things here is typically on a grand scale characterized by simple, 'clean' detailing (typically just bends and bumps in the natural terrain), which works well with the green/white color scheme.

Naturally, it's not called "Traps" for nothing. The most recurring snare is a malicious group of phantom barrels that tends to suddenly materialize from the aether around some choice armaments and other good stuff, only to promptly erupt in a lethal explosion (I like to imagine, since this is KS and KS is a little bit bonkers, that these are sentient barrel-spirits on a quest for vengeance against the marine in the name of all of their brethren he has destroyed over the years). There are also some sneaky monster teleportations and things of that nature, particularly involving cyberdemons that like to teleport in behind you at various points in order to keep you pushing onward into new dangers. Of course, since I've played before I was able to deftly evade most of these traps, but I actually wussed out and used a savegame right before going for the yellow key, since that particular trap sort of leaves the realm of 'tricky' and enters that of 'metagamey.'

The highlight battle is, of course, the giant red skull clusterfuck. While most of the actual hitting power comes from the hordes that pour down from the upper level, it's actually the irregular pulses of imps (so MANY imps!) and pain elementals that leverage the real pressure on you, since it's easy to ignore one prong and end up undone by the other. I quite like this setup, actually....I think it cleverly allows for a particularly large range of approaches, ranging from cowardly-but-smart to 'suicidal bravado.' What I did was kill the arch-viles in the key/switch alcove, take the secret invulnerability artifact (readily visible earlier in the level if you keenly survey your surroundings), and then use it + BFG to decimate the vile/noble/revenant jamboree on the upper level, using the many available rockets to beat back the cloud of PEs afterwards. Running into the imp tunnel at the outset like Cannonball described sounds interesting, too, I reckon I'll try that next time I play.

With the brief exception of the yellow key bullshit, I like this map. Gusta seems to like to do more hemmed-in smallscale stuff a lot (see, for instance, the very next map), but I think he does quite well with big open spaces like the ones seen here.

MAP21 - UV - 74% kills 50% secrets - scratch start - savestate use ~

"This is hell and there's no escape" yep , they knew it , so I use savestates >:D

The map is medium sized but with long gameplay it's long because of the monsters in squeezed areas.
The first trap is the hardest trap in the map , but the last trap is really easy : I just go past the cyber push the switch... Wait for romero to die and that wierd block monster line again , it makes this trap easy to dodge.
I also found a knight stuck in a fence in that imp trap.
This map is really good for speedrunning , because all of traps are supposed to make you run.

Well , I vote for next mounths WAD for "100 lines" (traditional pack).

Map21 - “Diablo's Heart” by Adolf Vojta
I don't know how to rate this level because the lack of enjoyment was mainly due to my shit laptop completely derping at the sight of dozens of archviles lighting me up, to be honest it didn't perform much better anywhere else. This is a speedrunners map where you have to skip most of the monsters until you get all the necessary equipment to dispose of the major threats whether it be tonnes of rockets of cells.
I guess the map works fine. Just my laptop hated it.

cannonball said:

my shit completely derping at the sight of dozens of archviles lighting me up,

I had some lag too , I was using prboom+.

MAP21 Diablo's Heart

*Regular Run*

I found out that if you run fast, the first "obligatory" secret can be skipped, which I had to go back for later :p. Anyways, this one is infamous for its use of dozens of archviles right at the beginning. On HNTR I only fought one, and a lotta imps with it. Easy to go through. The main bridge had a lotta imps again, with a spiderdemon and an invulnerablitity helping me take care of them. I rushed the eastern part of the level with the invulnerability still intact, killing everything there before telefragging the big spider. But then there are hellknights and revenants on the bridge, I guess this means rocket sniping at them. Finally, the invulnerability given behind the blue door makes the cyberdemon a lame duck. Neat, but easy hell intro on this difficulty. Final Time 1:53.

*Reality Run*

Went much the same as my regular run except stepping back to avoid projectiles when necessary. Still telefragged the spiderdemon and used both invulnerabilities. I used the wall as I sniped revenants and hellknights from afar to my advantage. Final Time 3:13.

The army of archviles made me laugh out loud, though I came close to giving up when trying to run past them. Took me many attempts to blindly aim for the tunnel entrance whilst my screen was filled with white flames. I get the idea you have to run past them and all that, but that was a bit more random trial and error than is enjoyable. The rest of the map went a lot easier, and I managed to scoot past the cyber and press the exit switch without realising that was it. Guess it is a running race of a map, I'm not too keen on maps that dictate how you play them though, particularly if they demand a high accuracy of movement as I tend to play like a drunk bumblebee.

Alright, new laptop is set up and I'm back in action. Managed to salvage my Doom-folder from the old one too so there's thankfully no need to readjust glbooms settings.

Map20: Traps

Fun gameplay in this one but some of the traps made my blood boil. The YK room death-trap is simply bullshit and especially since I had no real need to even go there as I had grabbed the YK from it's pedestral beforehand. Also dropped obliviously into the barrel half-ring a bit later but it didn't kill me so I'll let that one slide. My other gripe with this map was the inconsistent damaging slime and looks like I'm not the only one who didn't like this. Visuals in this map are pretty good overall, nothing fancy but the gray/white/green combo works well and the rocky terrains are pleasant looking. The BK crane is pretty funny and is the token Kama Sutraism in this map.

Combat is fun and tough. The main dish is obviously the massive slaughterfest in the slime pit/tunnel. I chose to take the secret invuln before unleashing the hordes and then just ram through the Imp/PE wall and into the tunnel. Then back again taking out the Archies with a bit more caution since the invuln runs it's course at this point. Worked well enough and wasn't really even close to dying at any time. This battle is obviously not all this map has to offer combat-wise as there are loads of opposition vacating other parts of the map, among them six Cyberdemons and one Mastermind on UV. A few of them are a bit awkwardly placed but the over-abundance of cells means you don't have to try to two-shot BFG kill any of them.