Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scypek2

100th wave - vanilla megawad (with videos!)

THE 100TH WAVE

This megawad is compiled out of the first maps I made. I was still learning, so while the first maps may be noobish and simple (but still not very bad),the later ones get better and better as you progress. 100th wave includes new graphics, some of which you've never seen before (some work from scratch and some resources from the internet, but no CC4 or Nick Baker). An OBLIGATORY deh patch grants new storyline and two new enemies. There are even demos you can watch in the main menu and DM maps on maps 01-25! (mostly on altered SP maps, but maps 01, 02, 09, 20, 24, 25 have separate DM maps. Try out 09 and 24!)

Levels are definitely in my style. Not challenging, but with quirks, gimmicks and lots of secrets. If you are a newbie, you'll finally find something for yourself, and if you're not, you may consider pistol starts, or maybe even Nightmare.

check out 100th wave's let's play by John Suitepee!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqbI6-fu868nk8SXA9yBL19TUlqYNVqMV

Screenshots!

MAP06 - Life on phobos: One of the early, simple levels.

MAP13 - Closed district: city map with multiple new textures.

MAP19 - Getting closer: the "vivid yellow thing".

MAP22 - Meanwhile: Stacked marbfaces and stuff.

MAP23 - Ode to origins: Based on the first (1994) PWAD I played. It's supposed to be a kind of hallucination.

MAP18 - Headquarters: Rooftop and some barrels.

MAP09 - Barracks: Hell-themed shoothing range for marines. Even though it may look like a "cacodemon nursery"

Technical info:
It's a vanilla megawad, but with content such as sprites and flats, so you have to merge it with your IWAD if you use original .exe or emulate the merging if you use chocolate doom (I made a batch file for choco for extra simplicity.)

And finally, here's the DOWNLOAD LINK.
Any reviews and demos will be apperciated.

And really, don't stop on first few levels. Like map02, which is barely a level. I might've made something to replace these... But I feel it just wouldn't be the same... I almost wrote "childhood project". Indeed, that was my doom mapping childhood. You can see an evolution of a mapper here, and I guess it might be interesting. All maps were created in order they're in the wad (With some exceptions: 22 was done right after 23, 26-28 were slightly messed up, map01 was only outdoor and the brick room first, map09 was redone from scratch (the orginal is kept as DM map for this slot)).

What more can I say? Have fun!

as usual i stopped at level 14, the great return has a great hom near the 2 aracnotron

I'll take a look at map07. I hope you're going to figure the map 14 out!

Spoiler

you think what are these cacodemons for?

I played first three maps. Good stuff!

But MAP04 crashed Chocolate Doom. I got this error:
Z_Malloc: failed on allocation of 1558088496 bytes

hex11 said:

I played first three maps. Good stuff!

Thanks! I wouldn't think somebody would like these. (I guess that map01 is interesting, but that's all)

But MAP04 crashed Chocolate Doom. I got this error:
Z_Malloc: failed on allocation of 1558088496 bytes

Now that is really weird, as it's a very small map that should exceed no limits. It played fine for me, and only encountered an all-ghosts bug once when recording a demo.
Well, you can always use a port like Prboom, there's no way it would break then. And if some professional vanilist would find a cause for the problem, that would be very nice too.

Yeah it's a weird error. The wiki doesn't have much to say about it. But just in case, I ran bsp on the wad, and then MAP04 was playable in Chocolate Doom. So maybe your node builder has a bug?

I used the bsp that comes with xwadtools. Here's the version string (output from "bsp -v"):
* Doom BSP node builder ver 4.0 (c) 1998 Colin Reed, Lee Killough *

Urban Space Cowboy said:

Map 31 has a showstopper of a badly-placed teleport line. Sniff sniff...smells like a Zdoomism!

What exactly do you mean? It works fine in chocolate, and I never tested this one in Zdoom.

More specifically: linedef #109 blocks use of linedef #105 unless you approach the latter from a really awkward side angle. Yeah it's supposed to be a secret level and gimmicky and all, but pleeeeeease give us a real door and a teleport linedef on the inside, not outside. :(

Oh! And lower textures on linedefs 194, 196 and 197 would be good.

Okay, I see. For some reason the teleport workED fine, but stopped. Anyway, I fixed all these bugs and more (excluding "HOM in map07 spider room" which I couldn't reproduce).

I'm updating the link in the first post. If you have the old version already, you can download the patch.

Thanks for the PM regards this Scypek2, I will take a look at this megawad in some capacity in the near future and provide a writeup/feedback!