Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bcwood16

Star Trek Bridge Commander....help ?

So being a bit of a Star Trek fan I was playing a bit of Elite Force on my Windows 7 64bit which installed and played fine in widescreen no problem (I just point that out because apparently' its supposed to be virtually impossible to run??) Anyway, I fancied something a bit different and finally got a copy of Bridge Commander which I always hear so much good stuff about!

I used to play Star Trek Legacy with the Ultimate Universe MOD, but there was no tactics.....Bridge Commander does!

So I installed, patched it, and installed the Kobayashi Maru MOD that basically includes a massive amount of cool new mods! I also configured it for Widescreen etc.....all works perfectly - YAY

So the point of my post is to ask if any body has played this and has any tips on how to get started!

Im going into Quick Battle and trying to fight against a sole Kingon Bird of Prey.

So there I am sitting in my command chair, im speaking to my various crew barking orders at them with no idea what im doing, after a few mins my shields are down, im bashed up badly, I try to abandon ship, but before I can I blow up!

So I try again, this time a little more wise, looking at all the options (MODS installed alot of new stuff) I see something about venting plasma, I click on it and sure enough I streak a long line of plasma out into space. However, I accidentally shoot it and it ignites. I had not thought to 'stop' venting plasma and the fire streaks across space right into my warp engine.....bang....I have pretty much crippled my self.....the few moment later the Bird of Prey finishes me off :(

Another five attempts and I still get my crew and my ship splattered!

I have come to the conclusion I suck badly! Any body play this and have any tips on how to command! :(

Maybe im just not a natural born leader *sigh*

bcwood16 said:

I have come to the conclusion I suck badly! Any body play this and have any tips on how to command! :(

Maybe im just not a natural born leader *sigh*

Enroll in Starfleet Academy and take Starship Command courses? ;-)

Wish I coulda help you with this, but I know nothing of this Kobayashi Maru mod, just the regular game.

What ship are you using?

Hurricyclone said:

Wish I coulda help you with this, but I know nothing of this Kobayashi Maru mod, just the regular game.

Well it adds lots of new things you can do, but im sure all the original stuff is the same, the enhanced special effects and stuff shouldn't effect game play.

So hopefully you can help :)

Hurricyclone said:What ship are you using? [/B]

I can use all sorts of ships, but the default for Quick Battle is the sovereign or I can easily choose Galaxy class too.

So what do I do first, boost phasor power to max to frag....how do you follow enemy ship, is it best to take manual control or just bark orders at the crew and watch the action. Is it worth scanning the enemy ship, do I target its warp core or take its sensors out. Do I try to disable it first or just go all out destroy??

PS since the last time I posted this I lost another 4 ships. One battle I was doing ok-ish on.....well actually I was pretty banged up, but I still died. My biggest flop was I accidentally flew into a planet and took my shields out.....enemy finished me off.

I prefer manual control (third-person view) rather than the whole "barking orders" ordeal, cuz I was a keyboard player with this game some time ago.

You may know this already, but it's best to keep your ship away from the bow of your enemies' ship, that's where most of his weapons are pointing at. It's easy to forget about this fact :).

When I'm fighting a B'Rel, I try to destroy it, quickly too. They have probably the weakest hull out of all the ships in the game, however unlike other games, they really aren't a piece-of-shit type of ship. Mainly due to their maneuverability and speed, and their advanced photon launcher and disrupters really hurt. So yeah, they've balanced the B'Rel nicely for this game. You might have trouble if you're flying in a rather less maneuverable vessel (Galaxy, Ambassador, D'Deridex, etc).

I guess for fighting the B'Rel you can boost phaser power to max, it might drain your energy quickly, especially if you're flying in a Sovereign, but the B'Rel should be weak enough to crack down. I don't really have much sense when targeting systems, so I aim for the warp core myself as well.

after a few mins my shields are down, im bashed up badly, I try to abandon ship, but before I can I blow up!

Of course, since you're playing with a mod I am entirely not sure how balanced it really is or if the mod has bugs.

Im going to install two versions, one being a standard installation with the offical patch (best way for SP anyway) and one with the MODS to mess about with as I get better. I think im taking on too much right now trying to figure all the options.

Thanks for all the info, am away for a few days starting from the weekend, so will mess about when im back and see if I can destroy something :)

If I remember my Star Trek.... aren't you supposed to fail the Kobayashi Maru?

Related to star trek: I started watching Star Trek month ago and I'm now in the 21th episode of the 1st season of star trek the original series. I have never before watched any star trek episode on purpose. I really like this show. Its part of the popular culture and history so I wanted to erase that black hole from my mind. I'm planning to watch also seasons 2-3 and after those chronologically the movies till the the next generation starts. I read that the show went down after the next generation ended? Is it meaningful to watch later season from that point on?

Waffenak said:

I read that the show went down after the next generation ended? Is it meaningful to watch later season from that point on?

Whoever wrote whatever you read is either A)A Gene Roddenberry purist or B)doesn't know good television.

I'm currently halfway through season 5 of Deep Space Nine and it's better than TNG was. Rene Auberjonois might be my favorite Trek actor (an almost blasphemous statement considering my love of Patrick Stewart). Also, Andrew Robinson as Garak deserves special mention to being one of the best recurring guest stars in any TV show I've ever seen.

DS9 is definitely, a more thorough and grim look at the darker sides to the utopian Federation and while battles were common with Roddenberry's Trek they were always the good guys vs. the bad guys. DS9 introduces many shades of gray which is why it is either a Trekkie favorite or not really liked by the purists of Gene's vision.

I have watched TOS, TNG and up to where I'm at in DS9, so I don't know anything about Voyager, yet.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Whoever wrote whatever you read is either A)A Gene Roddenberry purist or B)doesn't know good television.

I'm currently halfway through season 5 of Deep Space Nine and it's better than TNG was. Rene Auberjonois might be my favorite Trek actor (an almost blasphemous statement considering my love of Patrick Stewart). Also, Andrew Robinson as Garak deserves special mention to being one of the best recurring guest stars in any TV show I've ever seen.

DS9 is definitely, a more thorough and grim look at the darker sides to the utopian Federation and while battles were common with Roddenberry's Trek they were always the good guys vs. the bad guys. DS9 introduces many shades of gray which is why it is either a Trekkie favorite or not really liked by the purists of Gene's vision.

I have watched TOS, TNG and up to where I'm at in DS9, so I don't anything about Voyager, yet.

Thanks from your insight review of later seasons. Maybe I'm watching them after all. Its gonna take shit load of days to watch them all if I watch one episode a day.

Of the 3 90's series (TNG, though technically started in the 80's, DS9, and Voyager), Deep Space 9 is my favorite, with TNG a very close second. Voyager was good, but not great. I felt as though it lacked something, although the whole Borg story line was pretty good I thought.

If you even go beyond that, I thought that Enterprise was good too (probably a bit better than Voyager, IMO), but I felt it could have been better than it was. I felt the writing was a bit sub par, especially in the 3rd season. The 4th was the best, but by then, it was too late it seems.

Enterprise was really good in hindsight. Unfortunately it got terrible ratings when it was originally aired, and I really don't see why. It's definitely better than Voyager, and it's better than a lot of TNG. Shame it ended on such a weak episode.

Never played that Bridge Commander game. My favourite Trek game was Star Trek: 25th Anniversary - the DOS one. (Same title, different game depending on the platform.) It's basically TOS as a Sierra/LucasArts-type adventure game, but also with space combat because Star Trek games always need space combat! Its sequel has the last Trek done by DeForrest Kelly ever.

If you're new to Star Trek you'll find we start religious wars over stuff like which series should be canon, and which ones sucked more. I'm with the guys who think DS9 (mostly from season 3 on) is some of the best TV ever made, for example.

Voyager and Enterprise both piss me off for similar reasons. Both have some pretty good episodes, but they both suffer from creating the type of adventure that works best if you're willing to upset the status-quo and then almost always failing to change the status-quo! Enterprise also suffers from being a prequel that isn't different enough. Enterprise got retooled in season 3 and season 4. Its best moments happen in those two seasons.

Watch the animated series too! Yeah, it's got shitty 70s Filmation animation, but it tried to show ambitious things and even had the women run the ship at least once. Even when it's bad it's way better than any other 70s cartoon I can think of. Very little of it would fit into the canon established in the rest of the shows. It gets weird at times.

DS9 is by far my favorite Trek series.... what a great cast they had on that show. Also like TNG and TOS. As for Enterprise I still haven't seen all of that. It bored me when it first aired and I never got around to watching it all. I kinda liked Voyager tho it was odd at times. After watching such weirdness as Space 1999 when I was a kid, Voyager ended up looking pretty good. :p Like Aliotroph? pointed out, the animated series is worth checking out. ;)

I never played this Commander game. Only Trek games I played were the two Elite Force games and the demo of that crappy Klingon Honor Guard.

I like most Star Trek.

I have watched 90% of Voyager, which at times can be very weak, but does have many very fun episodes.

Watched all of TNG which is pretty good and I did like Enterprise, but the last episode was just the worst ever!

Only watched the episode here and there of the Original series, but will get around to that some time soon.

At the moment I plan to watch all of Deep Space Nine. I watched it when it first came out at my parents, but after I moved out etc I ended up missing the rest of the series. I remember is getting very good! I have forgot most of it now so starting again. I have ripped all the episodes to my Kindle Fire so I can watch bits here and there on the go :)

As for games, Elite Force (1 and 2) has to be the best Star Trek games.

There's a third-person DS9 game called "The Fallen" that I liked a long time ago. I never finished it because one of Kira's missions was horribly broken. Typical of old Unreal-engine games, it's just about impossible to run correctly on a modern system. Kudos to John Carmack for doing a better job future-proofing id's stuff.

Doom Dude said:

I never played this Commander game. Only Trek games I played were the two Elite Force games and the demo of that crappy Klingon Honor Guard.

Same for me minus the demo.

Anybody play Star Trek on-line, I dont really do on-line games anyway, yet alone MMPRPG and especially ones you have to subscribe to (no matter how low the cost)

I have heard its always getting better and better and screen shots and things of it look pretty decent.

I remember seeing old doom clone of star trek but I don't remember its name and couldn't find it while browsing. Anyone knows its name?