Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Importing graphics into SLADE 3

Is there a particular rule about what type of graphics require a TEXTURES lump?

I don't have any custom walls/flats - just map names, levels, music and a title/inter screen. My WAD loads fine in Zandronum but Chocolate throws a "NumForName" error. Chocolate doesn't seem to complain with just levels and music. I haven't been able to narrow down exactly what I need to add to make it work.

As far as I know, only wall textures need the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps: TITLEPIC, INTERPIC and flats can be put into a wad without too much problems. This might be a bit obvious, but check that all the graphics are in Doom format.

Obviously I don't create them in Doom format, but SLADE has a conversion feature. I think SLADE is molesting my WAD somehow, because the maps all run fine when I assemble the megawad using Doom Builder.

It appears to be a problem lining up entries, because I'm not recognizing the texture names it can't find.

Would you be able to post a link? It's alright if you don't want to, but it'll make the problem easier to diagnose.

Well, it doesn't seem to be a graphics problem. At least not what I thought it was. Thankfully, only a few of my maps have been corrupted. Chocolate is crashing because it can't find a texture; but it's actually looking for a combination of names (e.g. "ADLCHAINBROWN144-"). It leads me to believe that a pointer got screwed up somewhere, so it's looking at the wrong string. I have no idea how this happened or how to undo it. I may try saving the map as a prefab and importing it into a new file. I'm not looking forward to re-texturing four maps.

http://speedy.sh/Z7g3c/rear-entryway.wad
Here's one of the corrupted maps. I'd appreciate any help finding me an easier way to fix it.

Bucket said:

I'd appreciate any help finding me an easier way to fix it.

Try using DeePsea, it's not everyone's favorite but has more comprehensive error checking than Doom Builder.

Yeah, those texture names didn't exist - I'm not sure how they got there. Probably vestiges of porting them from other IWADS, but some are a mystery. After I figured out which part of the string was the invalid texture, I simply had to remove them.
Thanks!