Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

ZONE 300 - New 32 level vanilla compatible megawad released. 300 linedefs.

I have seen that the included MAPINFO file uses the outdated syntax. While it still works fine in ZDoom, people usually prefer to use the new code. I took the liberty to do the conversion, also fixing some spelling issues in the intermission texts. For some of them, I had to do minimal changes, like adding commas or a few words, but in general the meaning was not altered significantly anywhere.

Updated MAPINFO for Zone 300 (10 KB)

Since I like to autoload "No Rest For The Living" as a second episode in ZDoom, I have made a small wad with this MAPINFO file and two lumps for the episode selection menu, changing the first episode (usually regular D2) to "Zone 300" while the second one remains NRFTL.

Zone 300 "Mini-Fix" WAD for ZDoom (17 KB)

Feel free to include the MAPINFO with the final release if you wish to do so. ^^

NightFright said:

I have seen that the included MAPINFO file uses the outdated syntax. While it still works fine in ZDoom, people usually prefer to use the new code. I took the liberty to do the conversion, also fixing some spelling issues in the intermission texts. For some of them, I had to do minimal changes, like adding commas or a few words, but in general the meaning was not altered significantly anywhere.

Updated MAPINFO for Zone 300 (10 KB)

Since I like to autoload "No Rest For The Living" as a second episode in ZDoom, I have made a small wad with this MAPINFO file and two lumps for the episode selection menu, changing the first episode (usually regular D2) to "Zone 300" while the second one remains NRFTL.

Zone 300 "Mini-Fix" WAD for ZDoom (17 KB)

Feel free to include the MAPINFO with the final release if you wish to do so. ^^

Can you please upload the mapinfo file to sendspace or email it to me (use my first email address in the zone300 textfile). Thanks.

I tend to rush when I am typing and often miss letters and as we know one simple spelling mistake can cause negativity.

Old version is in idgames/incoming and will upload the final version once idgames/incoming clears. I should have not uploaded it to idgames, too late now.

Current version on my website is the one with the fixes to MAP31 and MAP32.

There it is again. I have noticed a glitch with the final cluster end screen (one text line was too long) which is fixed now, too. ^^

MAPINFO & Mini WAD (10/17 KB)

All cluster texts have been tested now, they should look fine. Since the PAR times are those of the original D2 levels, you can remove those if you wish.

Obsidian said:

Heh, I recognize the MAP28 name from somewhere. I wonder where...

Haha. A Terry wad with the same name. But this is the real deal.

NightFright said:

There it is again. I have noticed a glitch with the final cluster end screen (one text line was too long) which is fixed now, too. ^^

MAPINFO & Mini WAD (10/17 KB)

All cluster texts have been tested now, they should look fine. Since the PAR times are those of the original D2 levels, you can remove those if you wish.

Having great difficulty downloading it. Must download new browsers, plug ins etc, its pain in the butt just to download something.

Please email it to me. I will PM you my email address.

Just a quick note on the MAPINFO lump:

ZDaemon, for example, cannot parse the new MAPINFO format, and ignores the rest of the lump upon encountering the first error; I don't really know how other ports treat it. If the only target of the newer MAPINFO format is ZDoom and its more modern derivatives, consider using ZMAPINFO lump for the new format instead and keeping the old MAPINFO lump in as well.

If you decide to use the new format directly in MAPINFO lump, you may want to include a DEHACKED lump so that at least the map names and other texts work out of the box in ZDaemon and perhaps other ports.

The decision is up to you, I've just been finding myself "fixing" and converting a lot of MAPINFOs lately - ye olde MAPINFO of yours was a working exception though:)

Email has been sent. Personally, I also don't know if there are any benefits using the new mapinfo format. In the end, you see no difference at all. Maybe both formats should be provided (the newer one with ZMAPINFO name), but then you need to put my corrected cluster texts in there first to have identical versions.

Anyway, I am now finished with the wad, played all 32 maps. 3 hours of gameplay I certainly won't ever regret. I'll play it again just for fun once another new release is made, regardless whether there are visible changes in it or not. I could play wads like this endlessly, gameflow and replayability value are quite high.

Nice maps.
I did some checking earlier, the only real problems I found were:

There is no dehacked file / lump so automap names and intermission text require a source port that supports MAPINFO.

MAP05 - Line 123 has no tag (Only a problem for deathmatch).

MAP15 - Sector 33 has no area.

Thanks for the title patches. I am going to remove the MAPINFO and add a DEHACKED + the title patches too.

Fixed a few more problems and removed the mapinfo and replaced it with a Dehacked. Title patches added and all credits updated in the txt file and Changelog.txt.

Original version still sitting in idgames/incoming but will be replaced with the new version once it clears.

FINAL VERSION: paulcorfiatis.com/zone300.zip

Mr. Chris said:

I assume the music provided was composed by you?

All of it is original apart from the text screen which is a remix of the Doom 2 endgame, but I still composed it from memory.

I'm five levels in.

Very fun, fast maps so far. They feel like 90's maps, in a very good way. The traps are very exciting, well done, and frequent. I'm not sure if the levels get longer as I go along, but the short-medium style maps make me cool with not saving every five minutes. I'm a pretty big fan of restarting at the beginning.

Also, YOU ARE THE WORST PERSON ON EARTH AFTER THAT REVENEAT TRAP IN MAP 05, WHO ARE YOU!? WHY DO YOU HATE ME!? GO HOME!

Magnetick said:

Also, YOU ARE THE WORST PERSON ON EARTH AFTER THAT REVENANT TRAP IN MAP 05, WHO ARE YOU!? WHY DO YOU HATE ME!? GO HOME!

Save often. Expect the unexpected. Its only going to get harder.

I have to confess - I approached this wad with my usual skepticism (with the feeling that after 100 lines project all these limitations-based maps will look dull and pointless), but now I can gladly conclude that I was wrong. This is really cool. Brilliant execution with nice scenery (even considering the limit) and entertaining gameplay. Yes, I liked it even though these aren't slaughtermaps, believe it or not. I see that you aimed at somewhat strict ammo placement, can't say I like such approach in general, but with maps of this size and length it's okay I guess, still sweet and fun most of the time. Great job.
I also liked that super-secret level btw, cool stuff.

MAP25 (HELLUCINATION) is a little gem; I was indeed slightly confused in the first moment: Which color, again?! :D

We think it is time to give this a go in TNS, we know that it is very focused to Single player but this is the kind of wad that from our experience provides lots of entertainment since maps are short and packed with action so players don't have to wait a lot until next map. (We are starting right away with 2x damage and probably with -fast and continue further rotations with nightmare skill or random damage mode). :)

We had plenty of fun with this yesterday, managed to go through three rotations (1st with 2x damage, 2nd with fast monsters and 2x damage and 3rd with total randomization, a crazy mode where monsters are randomly replaced so a zombieman could be a cyberdemon).

Demos can be found here: http://144.76.43.136:10648/demos/

And if anybody wants to see what is total randomization here's the perfect example: http://144.76.43.136:10648/demos/20131219_232357_zone300final3_map15.zdd :)

Good work with the wad.

Just played through this megawad in two sittings and had a real classic blast - this has everything a Doom wad needs to have. Maps 01-15 took me and hour and a half, maps 16-30 just under two hours.

Really well balanced gameplay - I was blasting through the maps at full tilt, not sparing much time to look for secrets. The ammo/health balance was right on edge throughout when I played this way, and I was scrambling pillar-to-pillar picking up shells with an empty fist, all the way until map 26. Item-placement wise, for arcade-style gameplay, this is basically the best balanced megawad I've ever played, end of story.

Didn't find the BFG until map 30, though I'd glimpsed it earlier. Good call.

I think this velvet pouch full of polished gems should have at least received an honorable mention at this years' awards. It may be vanilla, but in these days of Doom the way id used to do it, this shine. For me, the 300 lines project comes:

HIGHLY RECCOMMENDED!

^ Same here. As much I love and appreciate the big sprawling levels that takes an hour or two to beat, being able to plow through a dozen (or more!) in an evening was a blast. It's bite-size Doom, is what it is, really. (Though, perhaps ironically, MAP32 was my favorite of the bunch.)

Salt-Man Z said:

^ Same here. As much I love and appreciate the big sprawling levels that takes an hour or two to beat, being able to plow through a dozen (or more!) in an evening was a blast. It's bite-size Doom, is what it is, really. (Though, perhaps ironically, MAP32 was my favorite of the bunch.)

I got out of Map06 with 1% health, and managed to claw my way back up against all the mancis and the first cybo. That was hectic and memorable. As were all the cybo fights, each with its own personality and flavor. Hard to pick a favorite, all of them kept me guessing. 22 is a candidate... Rare for latter-stage maps of a 32-level run to keep the tension high, but this one did it.

I'm really enjoying this mapset, small interesting maps, it's like going through a chocolate box!

Bug report: In map 28 (and maybe some others?), if you run too fast and skip the exit linedef you get stuck in the exit pit.