Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Doom running on a ZX Spectrum computer.

Interesting. But that's not Doom. That's like Doom for the Atari 2600. And as we all know, that doesn't exist.

That's an unofficial remake with a "Doom-like" custom engine which existed before (1995 or 1996) the official source code release (1997), thus not a true source port. It is impressive on its own right though, if anything, for the "constant pattern" textures it uses (notice how walls don't pixelate), and the use of different pre-scaled sprites. However, with all the good will, it has more in common with Wolf3D or Castle Master, than Doom.

However, there's a more recent remake for the VIC-20. That one actually is based on the Doom source code, data structures and even some IWAD data, though simplified and cut down to a bare minimum.

How could you look at this and possibly think it was Doom port? If I painted some demon sprite frames on a cardboard box and walked around with it over my chest, would you think I had ported Doom to real life?

There are countless "Doom ports" that ain't the real deal. Apparently, the absolute minimum requirement for making a Doom-anything is to use the word "Doom" in the title :-)

I'm still waiting for Zynga's Facebook "Doom" port, which will play EXACTLY like Vampire Wars or Mafia Wars, but, dude, it will be DOOM! *grin*