Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

New Deus Ex games underway!

Ladies and gentlemen, Eidos Montreal have just confirmed that they are working on new Deus Ex games! This will include a PC game, and several smaller titles for tablets, phones etc. that will all be interconnected in some way. Given the triumphant success of Human Revolution, we are in for a real treat. Bask in the glorious news, this is a good time to be a gamer.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/10/02/deus-ex-universe-announced-is-an-expanding-and-connected-game-world-that-includes-a-new-pc-game/

Triumph of Human Revolution. 2+ million copies sold :-( Well I guess that's good depending what they put into making it. A lot of people really enjoyed Human Revolution and it took me a while to get into it, but I grew to love it. Catch is I saw a lot of copies for $20 within 3 months of release.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=human+revolution

The reason why I bring up 2 million copies sold is because articles say Tomb Raider was said to have failed to meet expectations with 3+ million sales when they expected 15 million. I'm not sure if they felt they NEEDED to hit 13 million to break even or if they said 'It's Laura Croft, she has 2 movies and big tits of course she'll sell that much.'

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-26-tomb-raider-has-sold-3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

Reading the original article it seems like it could be a Deus Ex MMO since so many things are tied in together.

geo said:

The reason why I bring up 2 million copies sold is because articles say Tomb Raider was said to have failed to meet expectations with 3+ million sales when they expected 15 million. I'm not sure if they felt they NEEDED to hit 13 million to break even or if they said 'It's Laura Croft, she has 2 movies and big tits of course she'll sell that much.'

Squenix has over estimated all of their published titles for last year; the copies that Tomb Raider sold were just fine, it was Squenix that was full of hot air making ridiculous sales estimates. There are very few franchises that could ever expect to hit those estimates: http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2012/Global/

What I gather from that list is brand recognition and exclusives get higher numbers with the exclusion of some titles. Even going back through the years it really seems that recognition and exclusives dominate.

Maybe once Deus Ex Human Revolution 3 - 5 comes out they'll get bigger numbers. While Deus Ex is a recognized brand amongst hardcore PC RPGers, I'm not so sure about the console FPSers.

In 2011 Human Revolution was #90? At least it made the top 100.

Anyway, these numbers aren't important. Making something fun is what's important. Deus Ex has always wreaked of replayability. Making your character different each time. This might benefit random levels instead of a campaign with levels or at least randomized enemy and item layouts.

Something I've always wanted is the ability to play the game without augmentations for ethical or gameplay reasons. Without augmentations, you get no HUD, are very vulnerable and have to rely on your senses to achieve your goals. Conversations are also harder due to the lack of intelligence and charisma enhancements. However, without augmentations, stuff like aiming and recoil (slowly) gets better over time as you practice, potentially becoming better than augmentations themselves but at the cost of a slower pace. Think about it, a machine can't get better/stronger unless you upgrade it but the human body is capable of evolving on its own. This is also a more meta way of presenting human condition affected by this new technology. Is getting something faster really worth it or not?

If you do choose to get augmentations, you see a cutscene showing the replacement of your limbs/organs every time you perform an operation.

Yeah that would totally add a new dynamic. I'm better because I have no augments. I didn't sell out or give in to the easy path. You could make it the slow road and players would feel pride in taking that slow tough road.

You don't seem to understand. Besides this game, they are making a few SMALLER ones. My bet is that they will function like the iFruit from GTA5. I also bet that they are doing this to spread the word about the game which is not a bad thing.

One cool feature would be to get emails on your actual e-mail and phone, that would be so awesome and when someone calls you, you get the option to listen to the conversation on your phone. Just a small optional touch.

geo said:

Yeah that would totally add a new dynamic. I'm better because I have no augments. I didn't sell out or give in to the easy path. You could make it the slow road and players would feel pride in taking that slow tough road.

Hmm, why do you think it is an EASY path? Not everything you get in life is umm, improvable. Consider this: A person is born physically unattractive and with an IQ of 80, another is born physically attractive and with an Iq of 130. What has the second person done to deserve being born with those qualities compared to the first one? Why should people be subject to an arbitrary nature? See? You can view it from another angle as well.

DooM_RO said:

You don't seem to understand. Besides this game, they are making a few SMALLER ones. My bet is that they will function like the iFruit from GTA5. I also bet that they are doing this to spread the word about the game which is not a bad thing.

These smaller games are just going to be a hassle for the teams working on the real game. I'd rather all development efforts be focused on making the best game possible, not making offshoots that require coordination between separate teams.

Oh come on, how long could it take them to make these games? They probably made them during the pre-production stage. Seems like the most sensible idea.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Dammit, just make one good game. Is this Square Enix's meddling? It's certainly been working great for them.

Enix has a history of wanting their stuff everywhere. Why have it on one platform when it can be all of them? Meaning movie, TV, novels, comics, iPad, consoles and so on.

The owner of Enix has a thing for just buying majority stock in other companies. You know if you own all the companies it reduces development costs, because there will be no competition. Mu-ah-ha-ha-ha!

As for how long it can take the games. FPS on a console could take 2 years to make. I think the turnaround for COD and Battlefield are 2 years from different teams.

But again that's FPS. This might not be FPS. It might be an new school version of old school Deus Ex and take 3 months to churn out.

Why not an old school Dragon Warrior-ish or Zelda-ish Deus Ex? Dai-Katana had a Zelda-ish game and it was fucking awesome. Too bad old school games aren't acceptable anymore.

still haven't played single deus ex game. Maybe I should start deus ex marathon in next summer. so many interesting games to play. Nowadays markets are flooding with games to choose.

Well, I've been playing Human Revolution. I just want to say fuck Barrett. :-) Looking at Steam achievements only half the players have beaten him.

Half the players don't suck. Even if you've got a stealth/nonlethal build (as I did when I fought him, only went full-on lethal later in the game because I found it more fun), he's definitely beatable, they give you all the tools you need. You'll get him. :)

Now how you'd beat the next boss without a specific augment, I'm not sure. I just happened to activate that augment right before I needed it.

Yep and I've beat him before. There are a lot of explosives around and ammo.

Yep. I remember reading complaints that he was impossible in a non-lethal playthrough unless you brought weapons anyway, and I proved that wrong. I think you can even beat him with the stun gun, but I never tried that, I just used explosives.

Man, now I want to play that game again. I was trying to hold out for the Director's Cut, but I might not be able to.

I love action too much to ever use non lethal weapons. I sure have a ton of tranqs in this playthrough. I've got too many guns even with 0 ammo for some of them.

I went around the totally empty facility again to find more ammo and health.

I played the second half with basically just the silenced pistol. Reminded me of GoldenEye. I'm pretty sure there are weapons I never even used, including the DLC shotgun they cram in your inventory along with the silenced sniper for the first mission, so you barely have room to hold anything else.

Next playthrough I think I'll go all out psycho Jensen, including the pointless lethal takedowns. I'm still not sure why those exist, since nonlethal are better in every way. I guess guards can wake up nonlethal takedowns, but the +50 XP or whatever you get for nonlethal still seems worth it given how often that'll actually come up.

Sorry to go back to Eidos / Square Enix / Tomb Raider, but if they said they expected 15 million, I wonder if that means there are still 12 million copies somewhere in a landfill next to ET. Atari 2600 manufactured 12 million copies of Pac Man and only sold 7 million.

I've never killed anyone on Deus Ex, just lethal takedowns. Now I have an excuse to play it again.

Wouldn't lethal takedowns count as kills? There's an achievement for not killing anyone.

geo said:

In 2011 Human Revolution was #90? At least it made the top 100.

Just to point out that Steam doesn't release any of its sales figures to the public, so none of these sales list will include all the PC sales. If ie. Squenix says that they've sold X copies across all platforms then that's probably true, however that number can be pretty different from the sum of all sales on charts because of Steam.

Yep Steam doesn't have to report sales. I'm sure with $5 sales and game gifting they've sold a lot over the first 6 months. I can 'ballpark' how many people have pre-ordered Deus Ex by how many TF2 genuine items from the game exist. I ballpark that number at around 50,000, but that is only pre-orders. The highest amount of people playing Deus Ex Human Revolution in Steam was 56099. But who knows if any of those numbers are correct. So Valve probably made $3 - $9 million off of sales all for being a famous store and providing downloads :-)

I think VGC gets its info from retailers.

Dont understand this, is the universe a MMO.....dont get how it would work?

I liked number 1, skipped 2 as it was reportedly very bad and as for Human Revolution, I have it, I started it, found it dull and did not like the main character, he was a whining little bi*ch that always seemed to want sympathy, understanding and a nice warm hug! Arr....it was just plain embarrassing playing as him. Also the game mechanics made no sense. I keep meaning to re-start it and give it another go though....the AI is super dumb too, its way too easy to kill everybody in the whole level by just standing at a corner and popping them all as they run past *sigh*, but I do hear they get tougher as you get tougher....right???

Anyway, not sure if this news interests me or not, guess its too early.

Play HR like an action game and you'll die almost instantly. The cover system does make things a bit too easy; in the Missing Link, they turn off the crosshair on hard mode, so unless you have a laser sight (or a dot on your monitor) there's no aiming reticule while in cover, which definitely makes things harder. It's an option in the original, I suggest trying it if you find the game too easy. It actually gets easier as you progress, provided you're upgrading yourself and your weapons.

Easy as it can be, I still find it vastly more fun than the original. The cover system is a nice replacement for the hide in shadows mechanic, and it's actually worth using guns, unlike the original where their aim was terrible unless you maxed skill (and it still seemed terrible to me) and you just slaughtered everyone with the dragon blade.