Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pcorf

Archive upload process changes [split discussion]

Looks like 3 Terry Style maps have been released. So sadly this did not stop it.

I know the /idgames archive anonymous reviewing system has never really been a font of reliable reviews, but the fact that we now have a group of trolls seemingly decrying literally everything as a "terrywad" now and giving 0 stars is pretty disappointing. I mean, I was a bit gutted that they targeted my latest archived map, but now I've seen Hell Revealed II has been hit by a couple of them too it's getting really silly.

And they're upvoting the lates batch of trollwads as well. -_- I'm really quite thankful for the blue comments right now.

Bloodshedder said:

That's what the "report review abuse" button is for.

Already did that. There's not much else I can do. :/

Obsidian said:

Already did that. There's not much else I can do. :/

You might like to help me figure out how to detonate a 3D printable model of a small thermonuclear device while it's still in system memory. Not looking for a big bang, just enough to vaporize part of the motherboard and render anyone nearby sterile. We could then embed it in a YouTube video (which would serve as both delivery system and timer/detonator) and leave a link where the trolls can find it. Problem solved!

GreyGhost said:

You might like to help me figure out how to detonate a 3D printable model of a small thermonuclear device while it's still in system memory. Not looking for a big bang, just enough to vaporize part of the motherboard and render anyone nearby sterile. We could then embed it in a YouTube video (which would serve as both delivery system and timer/detonator) and leave a link where the trolls can find it. Problem solved!

Brilliant! I'll go se-

Wait a second. :P

Phobus said:

I know the /idgames archive anonymous reviewing system has never really been a font of reliable reviews, but the fact that we now have a group of trolls seemingly decrying literally everything as a "terrywad" now and giving 0 stars is pretty disappointing. I mean, I was a bit gutted that they targeted my latest archived map, but now I've seen Hell Revealed II has been hit by a couple of them too it's getting really silly.

Even Zone 300 has been accused a Terry wad. But who cares, young boys with nothing to do in their lives. But I think we need to stop this review system, stopping it will eventually stop the junk, the bad uploads. I remember 10-15 years ago, times were so much better.

Here are some solutions.

1. Comments should be only posted by people who have signed into DW. Anonymous comments should be not allowed.

2. The name "Terry" should trigger an error and disable posting of that comment.

3. Or they should completely remove the comments section, all you can vote is from 0 to 5 but cannot write a comment anymore.

I'd go a step further with solution #1 and limit commenting to members in good standing, which would automatically exclude the many losered and banned members. I'd also apply the forum's code of conduct (and penalties) to review centre comments, which might render solutions #2 and #3 unnecessary.

GreyGhost said:

I'd go a step further with solution #1 and limit commenting to members in good standing, which would automatically exclude the many losered and banned members. I'd also apply the forum's code of conduct (and penalties) to review centre comments, which might render solutions #2 and #3 unnecessary.

Meh, personally I wouldn't go that overboard. Limiting comments to forum members will filter out most of the junk, and if a Losered or banned member ends up spamming the archives we could probably delete the account. Doomworld isn't the most easygoing of forums and we don't want to scare away too many people. :P

Dragonsbrethren said:

Any sort of quality control implementation is just asking for drama, anyone should be able to see that.

Okay, bring on the drama then. It's little price to pay for preventing idgames from becoming cesspool.

As Ty said some 30 posts back - "I've never used quality as a criterion for allowing something into the archive". Which is just as well, we might otherwise have lost most of 94/95 to the digital dumpster and substantial chunks from all subsequent years. I'd say the current wad trolling epidemic has more to do with the database than the archive, while restricting access to the voting system would be a draconian step to take it's possibly the best way to manage the situation. After all, it isn't just their own work they're rating.

Ty's a cool dude whose title says pretty much everything we need to know about him. /idgames is what it is and there's no solution to satisfy everyone. Members-only voting seems to the closest thing to reasonable, but then, that'd exclude a lot of members of Doom-related forums who are reluctant to join over here on DW. That's not necessarily a good thing. Frankly, I don't think there is a good way to go about this. Just let it be and discount the trolls. It's not that hard.

Snakes said:

Wait - you mean if you actively pay attention to it gets worse?! My god!

Not just mine but others. Many spammers out there.

Snakes said:

Members-only voting seems to the closest thing to reasonable, but then, that'd exclude a lot of members of Doom-related forums who are reluctant to join over here on DW. That's not necessarily a good thing.

I wouldn't expect them to get acquainted with the forum's pond life, just give Doomworld's management a bit more control over submissions to the voting system.

I suppose an alternative solution of sorts would be to filter the ratings so logged-in members don't see anonymous votes or comments posted since the cookie system was introduced. That might result in fewer complaints and reports of review abuse, which isn't necessarily a good thing since it's not addressing the core problem, just masking one of the symptoms. I've no idea what additional load that would place on the server.

As Ty said some 30 posts back - "I've never used quality as a criterion for allowing something into the archive.

Archive and idgames aren't the same thing, right? You could keep everything as it has been kept for years on archive and take measures on idgames, or...?

/idgames is what it is and there's no solution to satisfy everyone.

I believe that just nobody bothered to think of anything, and even if somebody did, nobody would be bothered to implement it.

Wait - you mean if you actively pay attention to it gets worse?!

Problems don't disappear if you ignore them. Pcorf is really stretching it astronomically, though.

Bloodshedder said:

And this is exactly the kind of attention he wants.

How are you so sure of that? What makes you think attention is the prime goal for shitting up archive? Do you honestly think it will stop by preventing people here from talking about it, instead of actually doing something about the archive/idgames? This is utter bullshit.

j4rio said:

Archive and idgames aren't the same thing, right? You could keep everything as it has been kept for years on archive and take measures on idgames, or...?

I suppose if we're going to be pedantic about this, /idgames (and its mirrors) is the archive repository, though many people appear to have fallen into the habit of referring to Doomworld's database as "/idgames" despite it being a separate entity. I personally prefer to refer to them as the "archive" and the "database" in order to avoid confusion.

You could keep everything as it has been kept for years on archive and take measures on idgames, or...?

...form a lynch mob? Barring a seismic shift in Ty's assessment criteria, minimising the wad trolls impact on the database is our best bet.