Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kalinus

Doom D20

I'm going to rebuild the d20 system from the ground up. I will be doing alot of research.

The game will be inspired by the classic doom games, the novels, the comic, the beta, as well as custom wads that fit with the setting.

Any ideas or feedback is appreciated. Also I may be looking for some artists just to make the pdf a little nicer.

Edit: I will be posting Things for it here as I complete them

Current Classes - Marine, Half-Demons, Priests

Classes under-work - Security Officer, Scientist

A trait system to flesh out roles and to add attributes.

I plan on doing source books Some Possibilities include Hell on Earth, Wolfenstein, Quake 1, Quake 2, Duke Nukem, Timelines (Ties Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake together)

More to come a major update on the website to be done September 1st

What edition of D&D/d20? I have to admit I'm only familiar with 4e, and the one thing I kind of don't like about it is there's no active defense. Basically either attacks hit or they don't; there's no dodging or anything possible. Which while sort of streamlining combat, it feels a tiny bit less involving than other games I've played. I feel like at the very least that combat should always be contested rolls.

At any rate, I'm totally down for a Doom RPG! I am not familiar with the one already out there. Anyone have a link to that for the sake of the thread?

I've done something like this.

It started as a science fiction campaign, then, the party fought a Cyber Demon, that led to hell invading, and the party going back in time to prevent it from happening. Many Imps were slaughtered!

Nomad said:

What edition of D&D/d20? I have to admit I'm only familiar with 4e, and the one thing I kind of don't like about it is there's no active defense. Basically either attacks hit or they don't; there's no dodging or anything possible. Which while sort of streamlining combat, it feels a tiny bit less involving than other games I've played. I feel like at the very least that combat should always be contested rolls.

At any rate, I'm totally down for a Doom RPG! I am not familiar with the one already out there. Anyone have a link to that for the sake of the thread?

I am using the public domain modern d20. As for active defense what would you suggest? D&D v3 & v3.5 has feats that help such as dodge (which adds 2 to your ac against 1 creature) I will think on this as I want it to feel like the games.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=11270

General Rainbow Bacon said:

This sounds awesome. I've been trying to figure out how to turn Doom into a table RPG for a long time. Good luck with this.

Magnetick said:

I've done something like this.

It started as a science fiction campaign, then, the party fought a Cyber Demon, that led to hell invading, and the party going back in time to prevent it from happening. Many Imps were slaughtered!

Thanks for the interest guys any ideas are appreciated by the way.

kalinus said:

I am using the public domain modern d20. As for active defense what would you suggest? D&D v3 & v3.5 has feats that help such as dodge (which adds 2 to your ac against 1 creature) I will think on this as I want it to feel like the games.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=11270

I suggest contested rolls for combat rather than an attack roll against a defense score difficulty. i.e. both parties roll a d20, with perhaps perks or bonuses on either party for weapons/armor/reflexes/etc.

I haven't played enough D&D to know how well or badly this would work though. I'm more familiar with World of Darkness, which handles dice rolling completely different (frankly I think NWOD would be way easier to translate the Doom world into, but I don't have the time and probably no interest in my circle of friends to bother).

Nomad said:

I suggest contested rolls for combat rather than an attack roll against a defense score difficulty. i.e. both parties roll a d20, with perhaps perks or bonuses on either party for weapons/armor/reflexes/etc.

I haven't played enough D&D to know how well or badly this would work though. I'm more familiar with World of Darkness, which handles dice rolling completely different (frankly I think NWOD would be way easier to translate the Doom world into, but I don't have the time and probably no interest in my circle of friends to bother).

I may implement a feature from a fps style boardgame I made that allows for taking cover and firing in 1 round. And maybe do more reflex saves instead of vs their ac. There are alot of ways I could do this.

I am familiar with the old wod but not the new.

Instead of making a new tread I figured a bump would be better. Since its about the exact same project. I will be releasing a beta on here around 2015. But I need some artists and people that know 3.5 rules and would be willing to view my content before the 2015 release. Anyone interested?

A progress report will be in the first post.

I don't know anything about D&D. Would anyone care to explain it in a short and easy to understand way?

I once saw an episode of a tv show with a d&d theme. To the best of my understanding, the game master just makes up a scenario, and the players create characters for themselves, and the game master just kinda comes up with these events and the players announce their actions while the game master rolls a die that dictates the probability of success or whatever.

I always wondered what stops the game master from just saying "a giant unstoppable monster approaches and kills everyone instantly -- game over!!"

40oz said:

I don't know anything about D&D. Would anyone care to explain it in a short and easy to understand way?

Sure Basicly The game is about roleplaying just like in a movie or a play. The game is all about crafting a story though combat and action typically have a large role. The dice are involved along with stats so that you can't just do anything outside of the frame of the game. Though homebrew rules "just like mods :P" exist if a DM doesn't like how something works. If its unfair its no fun so a good DM wouldn't make the odds impossible without giving the players some hidden edge.

I can describe it better if you want. You can get all the official 3.5 rules from Wizards of the Coast for free here. Though it doesn't include any pictures its just plain text. So you will need to get the real books or PDFs for something easier on the eyes.

Note this is a link directly from the company no piracy involved.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

joepallai said:

http://www.and-mag.com/2014/01/inner-planes-magazine/

In this issue of & Magazine there's a pretty good article that converted Doom monsters to AD & D (1st edition format). It's not 100% accurate to either Doom or AD & D; but it's an excellent starting point.

Sorry for the double post we posted at the same time. XD

Oh wow! Thank you! I didn't know about this and am reading it now. And bookmarked it. I'm glad to find a new mag to read.