Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krispy

You ready to get pissed at something?

So like I was at this video game museum in Berlin today, and wouldn't you know it, the one game I expected to have a marble shrine around it had only this simple placard to acknowledge it:
So apparently the world doesn't worship Doom like we do, which is understandable, but at the same time there was a whole wall devoted to lame ass Donkey Kong with live games and everything. WTF, right? 'Tis a pity. Your take?

I'm more disappointed than pissed. And embarrassed. They not only got one of the release dates wrong (Google much?), but it's pretty obvious that the screenshot should have been something from E1, since it's the first game, and utterly iconic. And yeah, if they're going to give Donkey Kong--which is, frankly, frustratingly difficult and not nearly as iconic as some of the platformers that came after it--so much attention, why not the single most influential and genre-defining FPS of all time?

Okay, you know what, I am pissed.

yeah I can understand someone marginalizing the Doom series if their first taste of it was a pistol-start on MAP24

First of all, Doom was released in 1993, not 1994. Get your facts right.

Second of all, why a screenshot of Doom 2 and not Doom 1?

And lastly, a lonely screenshot simply doesn't do it. It should have at least been the box art along with a screenshot.

Pistol-starting on The Chasm has to be worth at least a little respect though. I'll bet the curator (or whomever snapped that shot) got wasted real quickly though.

Well, if you're that pissed maybe try contacting them about this, turn anger into something productive. =)

I haven't played much of DKC but DKC2 was amazing. Still, Doom is a bit more deserving of a better display as it's one of the top revolutionary games of all time. Plus... poor facts. I second the contacting to fix up some issues.

Is this the museum you're talking about? It seems like it's one of the few of its kind, so yeah, it's not good. The sad thing is, I'm sure Doom isn't the only poorly represented game, and DK is certainly not the only one with "excessive" attention. Am I right?

Memfis said:

Well, if you're that pissed maybe try contacting them about this, turn anger into something productive. =)

No, that'll play right into their hands! The media already paints us as a bunch of passive, agreeable nerds! We need to prove to them that Doomers aren't afraid to get their hands dirty!

brb: making a custom wad using this. Fascistly, the blueprints aren't available online. I was, however, able to... acquire these satellite images through a German spy-friend of mine. If this doesn't get us some good press, I don't know what will! >:[

EDIT: I'm hacking into their YouTube account right now to get some more details on their floor plan. Hm, the bit where people can go under some stairs will be difficult... may have to make this for ZDoom...

schwerpunk said:

The media already paints us as a bunch of passive, agreeable nerds!

What? Who? Where?

Donkey Kong may not have had a legacy that has lasted like Doom's but, I think you guys are too young to remember "Donkey Kong Fever." When it hit, it hit hard. There were songs on the radio, TV cartoons, breakfast cereals, t-shirts. It was a religion. It probably does deserve a wall. But I think Doom does too :P

Also if you need one more thing to be pissed about, that screenshot isn't even the original game - it's clearly ZDoom, with particle-based blood.

scifista42 said:

What? Who? Where?

I was being sarcastic. Also, my sarcasm was dated. The media doesn't really care about us anymore.

Quasar said:

Also if you need one more thing to be pissed about, that screenshot isn't even the original game - it's clearly ZDoom, with particle-based blood.

Also if you need yet another thing to be pissed about, it isn't even an original screenshot. It's widely available online (1024x768). For instance, here it is on some random wiki page. I think they just googled "Doom" and picked the first thing that wasn't Tom Cruise. :P

They included Doom in their exhibition but got a minor detail wrong. I don't see anything here to get upset about.

Zed said:

Is this the museum you're talking about?

Indeed it is.

The sad thing is, I'm sure Doom isn't the only poorly represented game, and DK is certainly not the only one with "excessive" attention. Am I right?

Well, it's a small museum, but I guess you could say that. Quake managed to get slightly more attention, because one of the early machinimas made with Quake was displayed. And some screenshots of mods for quake.

I bet this museum got halo on gold pedestal as groundbreaking fps series and other hurrdurr gaming moments presented in same manner.

RAWR I AM SO PISSED! Oh, wait...

fraggle said:

They included Doom in their exhibition but got a minor detail wrong. I don't see anything here to get upset about.

*sigh* I thought you'd pick up the subtle humor in the title. Anyway, no, Halo was not there, it was more of an older video game museum.

The museum opened that permanent exhibition in January 2011, when Doom was still on the index, from which it was only removed in August 2011. So depending on when they conveived what to show displaying any more of Doom might have been illegal.

let's be real though, DKC series is pretty damn cool. from a musical perspective, at the very least

schwerpunk said:

brb: making a custom wad using this. Fascistly, the blueprints aren't available online...
...Hm, the bit where people can go under some stairs will be difficult... may have to make this for ZDoom...

Let me know if you need a stairwell or two, I'm quite good at those.

You're not mistaken because from 1994-2011 doom could not be advertized, sold, rented, or otherwise given to minors. Its safe to cut the Berlin museum some slack in this case.

boris said:

The museum opened that permanent exhibition in January 2011, when Doom was still on the index, from which it was only removed in August 2011. So depending on when they conveived what to show displaying any more of Doom might have been illegal.

Squadallah said:

DOom has had quite a long censorship story in Germany if I'm not mistaken, this might explain that.

reality 2.0 said:

You're not mistaken because from 1994-2011 doom could not be advertized, sold, rented, or otherwise given to minors. Its safe to cut the Berlin museum some slack in this case.

OK, but if I understand correctly, there are exceptions concerning educational purposes and such, right?

EDIT: @Quasar: that was exactly the one I was thinking about. I used to play it in my Atari 2600 back in the 80's. Good times.