Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

Icarus map06 music

Is it just my system or is there really a bug with this mus that causes some guitar notes to sound off-key after the first loop? Never noticed this while playing the original map (too short) but now I tried using this song in a longer map and the buggy guitar is really annoying.

The track for MAP06: P.E.T. Rescue? Honestly, that track is a bit shit. :P The notes are random and and aren't exactly in any particular key to begin with - there's some tonal clashes going on between the keys of G minor and F minor within this song.

But if there's something really wrong with the pitching of the notes, then it could well be a problem with the MUS, and I suspect it has something to do with that one pitch wheel. Some MIDI devices can still choke on those, especially if the slide isn't optimal, like it has duplicate steps or something. MUSes are awfully limited anyway, let's not forget. Using ZDoom, the pitch sliding doesn't seem to make it sound utterly horrendous and out of tune, but it's kind of hard to tell because the melodies are badly written in the first place.

What sourceport/MIDI device are you using? Can you describe the out-of-tuneness in more detail (what time, how long it goes on for, whether it actually detunes the guitar from the standard tones?).

Memfis said:

Is it just my system or is there really a bug with this mus that causes some guitar notes to sound off-key after the first loop?

I've just listened to this awesome track in Prb+ using both portmidi and fluidsynth, and hear the same oddity as you describe. Edit: also in Choc.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is correct (i.e. no oddity) in Doom2.exe.

Thanks for confirmation. Jimmy: I'm using same sourceport\devices as Grazza. Here is how it sounds on my system: http://speedy.sh/jzh6E/icarus-map06-music-test.mp3 (compare the guitar starting at 0:59 and at 04:54) Do you think you could fix it? (but if you do, please don't "fix" anything else... like Grazza, I find the track awesome as it is)

Heck, I loved that song, too. It takes a map that would've otherwise been fairly forgettable, and fills it with a sense of sorrow, loss and solitude. You see all those motionless bodies and blood in the starting room and hear those bells tolling, and you know there's nobody left to rescue. It tells a story through audio and visual alone (well, with some help from the map title), which is pretty impressive.

Good! Icarus is awesome. Probably my favorite MegaWAD ever. Secretly, I almost hope the TNT 2 project will spin off into a Icarus 2 project later on. (I know there's Daedalus, which was fun in its own way, but didn't quite feel like the Icarus sequel it was intended to be.)

....you do realise that I was thinking the same thing? :p I also want a Perditions Gate and Hell to Pay sequel, although the later is extremely unlikely to ever happen.

Well, I have no mapping talent, so we'll just have to wish really hard that some level designers with actual skill will be interested in such a project. :)

A Perdition's Gate sequel would be rather fitting since the WAD was originally hoped to be part of Final Doom. With Plutonia 2, TNT 2 and Perdition's Gate 2, we'd have a complete sequel trilogy.

Perditions Gate 2 would be a blast, mostly short fun maps tightly connected together with today's vanilla standards.

I wasnt aware you werent a mapper. Guess this proves that non-mappers really do have a place here, I was plucked from the TNT2 page and found to be a pretty good tester. Now I really do feel like I do have a place in the TNT2 team.

I think once I get through the remaining Kyka maps I'll take a spin through Icarus, its actually one of the few pwads I have readily available so I must have been planning another playthrough at some point.

So you want Perdition's Gate sequel or more to be said... Gates of Destiny? O_o

Truth to be told, so do I, but Hell 2 Pay designs and new content plainly sucked, felt rushed, had awful gameplay at places and overcomplex catastrophe at times so sequel is very unlikely, at least in alternate universe because not so much memorable even with nostalgia googles.

Ragnor said:

Perditions Gate 2 would be a blast, mostly short fun maps tightly connected together with today's vanilla standards.

Right, those bite-sized levels had a fairly distinct style, and made the WAD good for playing in bursts. I liked that, and wouldn't mind seeing more WADs like that, even if they aren't direct Perdition's Gate sequels.

I wasnt aware you werent a mapper. Guess this proves that non-mappers really do have a place here, I was plucked from the TNT2 page and found to be a pretty good tester. Now I really do feel like I do have a place in the TNT2 team.

I desperately want to be a mapper. There's dozens of incomplete levels of my own making just collecting dust on my hard drive (including a submission intended for TNT 2 itself). It's just an art form that I can't comprehend. How do people decide what the next room they build should look like? How do they know when their map is long enough? What makes a room appealing to look at? Since I can't figure that out, I've gone the "Those who can't do, teach" route and just try to nitpick other people's levels instead. :)

As for Hell 2 Pay, I never did finish it. The new graphics and sounds really were terrible for the most part. But the mapset still had some clever ideas, like the level where you had to destroy those cores before time ran out, and the "zero-G" spacewalk. That WAD (and maybe Perdition's Gate, too? It's been a while since I've played it) both did that cool thing where they use the level name graphic on the intermission screens to reveal more of the story, which was an incredibly cool idea that should have been in far more WADs.