Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everamzah

BotB to Host Vanilla WAD Competition

BattleoftheBits.org is hosting its first major Ultimate Doom vanilla WAD competition.

• E1M1 single map
  • Original music and textures encouraged
  • Custom sound effects and sprites are not allowed
  • Only original works allowed
  • Entries submitted to previous battles, compos, or competitions are not allowed.
For more details and full rules please see this page.

"All tunes will be rendered to MP3 for voting accessibility."
"No covers allowed, only original works."

??? What does this mean? What tunes, the ones included in the wads? Then they won't be vanilla compatible anymore. (doom2 can't play MP3s) And what covers are we talking about, like midis of popular songs? I'm very confused.
Also can I use non-original music and textures? (taken from other wads for example)

I imagine the doom MUS files will be extracted from the WAD entry and converted to MP3. No covers allowed, only original MIDIs.

Guest Unregistered account

Awesome, I'll get right to it!

... But where do we send our maps...?

You have to login to BotB and submit your entry.

And to clarify in case of any confusion: Anything and everything about your WAD must be original. So if you add textures or music, it must be your own original work.

Soooo whats the competition? Id hate for someone to lose for making an awesome slaughter wad when its the best musical composition or atmosphere or original textures or whatever that theyre looking for.

From #BotB on irc.esper.net
<rihanna> theres different voting categories and winners in each category so whatever you go for it will probably be rewarded if you do it well

also to clarify on the conversion to mp3:
<kfaraday> haha tell them the "tunes will be rendered to mp3" thing is a legacy carried over from other titles
<kfaraday> and probably isn't actually an applicable thing

I don't think I could make a kickass Vanilla SP map, but I could definitely make a kickass MIDI for someone else's kickass map.

A collaborative effort, perhaps? You could always make a single room to you preference with silly wall textures and put your music to it. Maybe a scrolling wall texture with note data on it. :)