Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Tango's 2D stuff

I've recently taken an interest in Torm et al's Pogostick mod, trying to steer it more in the direction of something like Mega Man. My ACS knowledge is rather limited (but growing ever so slowly!), and thus I've not yet been able to implement all the mechanics I'd like to. What is in there now, though, is the ability to slide on and jump off walls, ala Mega Man X. If you've never played those games, you can basically just jump into a wall and see what I'm talking about.

Some things to keep in mind:
- should work fine with latest dev version of ZDoom, tested in GZDoom
- the wall jumping system can be buggy (not sure how to reliably fix it atm); sometimes if you jump off a wall but continue to hold forward, you'll float in the air quite slowly. simply release forward to stop this from happening
- use the custom keys (in the new keysection) for movement rather than the usual forward/back/strafe etc. fire, altfire, jump, and use can all be used regularly though
- I would refrain from using the camera in/out keys, as I've been testing with the default setting and designing with exclusively that in mind
- weapon switching is instant
- holding up aims up at 45 degrees; opposite if holding down
- falling into dark pits will kill you
- using the mouse (or other default movement keys) could probably fuck things up, so I would avoid using that too
- expect bugs and possibly odd things
- the SSG has an altfire that has more bullets and a larger spread, but the bullets individually do 3 damage instead of 5

What's included here for now is just Map01, which is relatively short. It's really just a testmap and not indicative of what will end up in the project once I get mechanics, enemies, pickups etc. all squared away. It's nonetheless completable and has a little boss fight at the end.

download

screenshots

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Little ol' credits list:
Torm & Springy (?) for the original Pogostick
TheZombieKiller for Pogostick Plus
Eriance
Dreadopp
Sandypaper
Raz
Ghastly Dragon
Captain Toenail
Esselfortium for the BTSX wood texture I stole for the shitty hud (which will get replaced)
Ijon Tichy for a lot of code related things, mainly stolen stuff

There is probably some other vital information that I'm forgetting... oh well!

After reading the first sentence I was expecting something more along the lines of Dynapogo, but I suppose this will have to suffice instead (translation: awesome downloading time).

I think hitscan weapons have to go. While playing this I realized that seeing your shots flying at the enemies is almost essential in platformers. Using my beloved SSG felt so awkward in 2D.

Memfis said:

I think hitscan weapons have to go. While playing this I realized that seeing your shots flying at the enemies is almost essential in platformers. Using my beloved SSG felt so awkward in 2D.

yeah, that's in the cards. I actually tried yesterday to turn them into projectiles but visually it looked pretty stupid haha. I'll take another stab at it, though. were you thinking something more like tiny bullet puff balls (DooMAD's screenshot) or something more like what brutal doom does?

DooMAD: that looks pretty neat! who was in charge of that?

I feel like the little golden puffballs would look more natural in 2D, although this could just come down to playing too much Mega Man or Mario Bros. It seems most projectiles in 2D games are round, come to think of it.

EDIT: Oh and uh, this looks really badass. I've always liked the idea of a Doom platformer, I remember downloading some .EXE years ago that attempted it, but it was pretty dodgy.

Tango said:

DooMAD: that looks pretty neat! who was in charge of that?

That was Toxicfluff, but not seen him around for a long while. I vaguely recall work on it was lost after a drive failed, or something similar.

captain's log, nov 4 2013

Still working on this! Inspired by this song, I've started working on a new map (or possibly series of maps) which will probably eventually end up in the finished product, whatever and whenever that may be. Or, if not, this map is at least pretty representative of the direction I intend to go with this thing. Part 1 is more or less complete, minus a lot of visual goodness. Screenshots. I guess considering the length of the map (about 5 mins), I've been going pretty slowly, but on top of the mapping I've made a number of improvements to the mod on the whole. The major ones:

- hitscan attacks have been converted to little flying bullet puffs
- weapons have been tweaked and rebalanced to be more useful for 2D
- wonky backdash function ala Symphony of the Night
- monsters stolen from the bestiary and (sometimes) modified to have more unique behavior

etc. Ideally, the finished product will play out like a Mega Man game, in that you play a series of maps in a chosen order and progress to a series of final maps after completing those. Four player coop is the goal though! I also think deathmatch has a lot of potential, though I've yet to try it out.