Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Another WAD making thingy

Since summer is once again upon us, and I have learned that Doomers have more free time in these summer months than any other time of the year, I am considering trying to set up another community megawad deal for people to screw around with over the summer.

Any ideas or suggestions or whatever?

EDIT: Lut better not bitch about Millennium or I will de-admin him

EDIT 2: How did this turn into a Freedoom thread?

Freedoom will need both ultimate doom levels and Doom2 levels right?

Yeah, Freedoom has been picking up a bit recently, it would still be nice to get more people going at it this summer though.

stphrz said:

Freedoom will need both ultimate doom levels and Doom2 levels right?

Um, kind of. The main focus is to get a complete doom2 iwad done. However, there are some people who want a doom1 replacement wad too. Also, we currently have a "sub project" going to create a complete shareware wad (this is the current short-term goal)

Linguica said:

EDIT 2: How did this turn into a Freedoom thread?

Dunno.

Anyway, I'm interested. I've been dying to map for something (not too interested in freedoom) and every other project I've been involved in has been cancelled or put on hiatus until after the summer.

I think a Doom 2 megawad made by the DW Admins, Mods, Front page updaters, and forum regulars over the summer would be awesome. It wouldn't nessecarily have to revolutionize anything or make some amazing new use of a source port feature. You could just call it 'DoomWorld.wad' and it'd be fun.

Anyway I'd gladly contribute a few maps or even help you to get it started.

I'll need to do a lot of revision in DeepSea, but barring travelling I should be free this summer and could hopefully be around for such a thing, and at a decent quality level.

pritch said:

but barring travelling

Damn, the family wants me to go to Rome and stuff like that all summer :(

(not too interested in freedoom)

Just out of curiosity, why not? Any constructive criticism that you could give us would be gladly appreciated.

Jon said:

Just out of curiosity, why not? Any constructive criticism that you could give us would be gladly appreciated.

I don't know myself really, it's a great idea and it looks like its' coming together perfectly but for whatever reason I've been apathetic. I may still decide to do a map or two though.

Yo I hate to be da one to ask dis.... but whateva happened with da whole millenium scenario? Ya know da one where da creators of da maps threatened to release them on their own? I missed da outcome of dat shit.

Da_Esco said:

Yo I hate to be da one to ask dis.... but whateva happened with da whole millenium scenario? Ya know da one where da creators of da maps threatened to release them on their own? I missed da outcome of dat shit.

Heh, I never actually published the outcome.

Basically, I emailed them back (asked for extension) and never got a response. They never released their stuff, so I assume their threat is over and I'm back on my previous "when it's done" release-date schedule.

darknation said:

*darknation runs and hides*

AND YOU, HOW'S THAT PLUTONIAN COMING?!?

Lüt said:

AND YOU, HOW'S THAT PLUTONIAN COMING?!?

Shit, I thought millienium was cancelled ;)

Personally I blame poor leadership for the lack of communication between maembers.

Liam the Bard said:

Dunno.

Anyway, I'm interested. I've been dying to map for something (not too interested in freedoom) and every other project I've been involved in has been cancelled or put on hiatus until after the summer.

I think a Doom 2 megawad made by the DW Admins, Mods, Front page updaters, and forum regulars over the summer would be awesome. It wouldn't nessecarily have to revolutionize anything or make some amazing new use of a source port feature. You could just call it 'DoomWorld.wad' and it'd be fun.

Anyway I'd gladly contribute a few maps or even help you to get it started.

You could always make my damn crate level you lazy basrad :P

Best level under 100kb?

Three levels competition, submit a level for Legacy, Zdoom and vanilla DOOM. :-)

Another competition? Instead of 10 sectors, under 100 kb?

Or make a map with size limitations (with respect to the grid) like cannot exceed so many units long and o many units wide...

My lame ideas again...

Linguica said:

The 100 KB level idea sounds interesting. Fredrik would have a fit.

Damn you. >1000KB sounds better to me.

If 100KB, it should apply only to a limited set of entries. Different nodes builders may create different outputs... yeah. Most people don't want to fart around with that kind of stuff. 100KB be for sectors, things and linedefs alone. Sidedefs shouldn't count either, because they can be packed.

Nah, I doubt I would do another "weird limit" contest because anything would pale compared to the cool shit 10sector turned out. I was thinking maybe just trying to do a normal megawad. Of course somehow I doubt I would get many people working on it unless there was some sort of catch / prize.

Linguica said:

I was thinking maybe just trying to do a normal megawad. Of course somehow I doubt I would get many people working on it unless there was some sort of catch / prize.

The prize should be for most sidedefs submitted.

Well I'd help, I need to do some mapping for something, it's like vital to my existence.

If you want a 'prize', I'd say just have a vote after the megawad's released for the best map in it, the winner would get pride or a geforce 2 MX or a giant teddy bear or whatever the hell you feel like giving away.

Linguica said:

Nah, I doubt I would do another "weird limit" contest because anything would pale compared to the cool shit 10sector turned out. I was thinking maybe just trying to do a normal megawad. Of course somehow I doubt I would get many people working on it unless there was some sort of catch / prize.

One possibility...you could have a kickass first prize,a Geforce4 Ti4600 for example and charge everybody a small sum to enter, to cover the cost,it would certainly inspire people.