Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VileSlay

wierd light error?

got this wierd thing in my wad. in one of the rooms theres this wierd light effect comming off a crate. it's like a beam of light that starts at the crate and run to the player, getting smaller as it get nearer. the light runs along the floor and ceiling, follows the player, and gets blocked by walls. it would be a cool effect if it where intentional, but its not. anybody knows what it is and how to fix it. I'm using wadauthor.

It sounds like you've got a nodes error. Try a few different nodes builders, most notably BSP50x.

Almost certain that it's what Fredrik says, probably a line has one sidedef with an erroneous sector reference. Should be pretty easy to spot if you hit S to go into sector mode, then move the cursor over the affected sectors. You'll notice, usually, that one of the lines does not hilight with the others which define the sector. Or, maybe the front and back sector references are reversed on that line, so the hilight method will not reveal the bad line. But....you know which line it is, the crate, so just check that.

Smaller chance, but maybe, it's what Lüt said.

Yeah, as much as I like WA for editing, its nodebuilding capability sucks shit.

I didn't find WA all that useful... i still use WinDEU, ancient and bug-ridden as it is, and GlBSP. Am i alone in my tool preference?

Arch - you can set WA to use an external node builder. A friend of mine uses one of the BSPs. I personally find that WA and DeePsea both usually do fine at node building, but when I have the occasional polyobject problem, WARM seems to work magic.

Biffy the Node Error Slayer...

Heh, I use WADED. I can't help it, I simply refuse to change.

Biffy said:

Arch - you can set WA to use an external node builder. A friend of mine uses one of the BSPs. I personally find that WA and DeePsea both usually do fine at node building, but when I have the occasional polyobject problem, WARM seems to work magic.

Most of the time it works well, but there's a nasty node error in No Quarter. I had no idea what it was until someone graciously e-mailed me and explained it.

By the way, this "light error" effect can be used to advantage. I saw Toke make very clever use of it in one of his maps where it appears as if some horizontal bar-shaped lights are reflecting on the surface of water and they continue to look realistic as the player moves around. Maybe he put that map into his Vex-Zdoom.wad.

Biffy said:

By the way, this "light error" effect can be used to advantage. I saw Toke make very clever use of it in one of his maps where it appears as if some horizontal bar-shaped lights are reflecting on the surface of water and they continue to look realistic as the player moves around. Maybe he put that map into his Vex-Zdoom.wad.

It doesn't look entirely realistic though.

magikal said:

What port are you using?

I'm just building a regular old doom II level, no ports involved. I haven't been able to try a solution yet as I've been entertaining some old friends who are in the usmc during fleet week.

Okay it was just a random thought as to what it might be,but it certainly ain't...did you suss it,was it a nodes error?

Seems like a strong probability of it being a slime trail. Try rebuilding the nodes like the first reply said. Use as good a nodes builder as you can find. Deepsea or BSP are the top of my list.

Searcher said:

Seems like a strong probability of it being a slime trail. Try rebuilding the nodes like the first reply said. Use as good a nodes builder as you can find. Deepsea or BSP are the top of my list.

deepsea is one of the editors, right. gonna try it out cuz wadauthors shareware expired. which version of bsp should I use?

If it's an erroneous sector/sidedef reference, DeePsea may report that as well if you run its error checker.

just another retarded question about bsp. is the glbsp only good for making maps for opengl, or would it also work for plain old 256 color mode. I notice that most of the pwads I own (including the one I'm building) have missing textures and HOM's in legacy opengl. is it because of node building?

Download Deepsea and run the error checker after you set up the project. It is very powerful, it finds stuff like missing textures, zero line length, duplicates, all kinds of problems or potential problems.

It has some very good help files.