Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

PS4 or Xbox One?

My friend wants to get back into gaming. He doesn't play computer games (He's not interested). He has a large flat screen tv. What console are you looking forward to? Why? Which one you think is better?

PS4

or

Xbox One

He's interested in fighting games (I guess boxing as he's a huge boxing fan). I'm interested in racing games, specifically the NFS franchise.

Thanks.

Famiclone, FTW. This way he can also claim to be oldschool and shit.

Hellbent said:

I should have clarified. he doens't play computer games. at all.

Implying today's consoles aren't shitty PCs and video games aren't computer games.

Maes said:

Famiclone, FTW. This way he can also claim to be oldschool and shit.

He'll have to buy Zelda t-shirts and post of Kotaku.

From an engineering standpoint the PS4 is superior over the Xbox One, but if he's just interested in things like racing and fighting games whichever one is cheaper would be suitable, in which case you'd still want the PS4.

Seriously, speaking:

I've owned a 360 and a PS3. Early on in that race, I would've recommended Microsoft's offering, if only for its increased library. But as the race wore on, the PS3 came out as the clear winner for games, hardware, and online offerings.

I'm guessing your " friend " (*wink*) is looking for something in the next-gen, and only the next-gen. So as a console gaming whore (seriously, I'll play anything on anything), my choice out of the two is very distinctly the PS4. Xbox One hasn't put forward a single compelling point yet.

thanks for the input. My friend has a room in a furnished basement in someone's house. It harkens back to the days of gaming dens --something I actually never experienced. I think that's probably a big reason he had the idea to get into gaming again (I guess he played super NES way back when). No " wink " here... I'm simply asking on behalf of my friend.

Yeah for a serious answer, wait until the consoles have been out for a while. From a PR standpoint, Microsoft doesn't deserve a damn dime, but who knows, the PS4 could have a ton of issues at launch like the 360 did last gen. Both consoles will have fighters and good racing games (and NFS, sorry, had to).

(A PC also has these things, and they can be played with a controller just as easily. There's very little distinction nowadays, that's what everyone's getting at. Although depending on the fighters, there's less variety on PC, and I don't think any PC racer with a sane pricing model comes close to Forza/GT.)

If you're playing fighting/racing games I'd say PS4, because I still see Xbox as something you buy when all you do is play CoD and maybe Halo online like I did for a while. But things may have changed.

Also see if his TV has a game mode and make sure you're using it if it does. Input lag will make your fighting games terrible, and totally screw you if you're playing online.

As for me, I haven't played my Xbox 360 since I built my PC. I'm not a PC snob yet but I really don't have much interest in the next console generation, but as the release time gets closer on these things sometimes they start to interest me more so who knows. Maybe I'll just buy a WiiU at some point. Or I'll get hooked back into playing the new CoD and will want to play with more than the 3 people who actually buy the PC version of those things.

PC, but gun to my head I'd have to pick PS4 without a doubt.

Also you can get Divekick on PC so why would you need any fighter on any other platform?

I recommend ps4 because sony doesn't screw around and I'm also getting it. I also have to make choice whether to buy atari jaguar with cd, sega mega cd or amiga cd32 as next retro console to my collection. Hmm tough choices to make...

FPSers play XBox. Everyone else plays PS4.

Well unless he is into games, its not worth getting a PC.

As for consoles, well I have never owned an Xbox or Playstation, but I was very much thinking about getting one of the consoles from the new generation. However after playing on both system recently and seeing graphics my computer could run 5 years ago, I was not impressed. After trying the Oculus Rift, thats the direction im going now....Sony and Microsoft can keep their consoles!!

From my experiences on an Xbox one, the games look abit better, but dont think its full power has been unlocked yet, it always takes companies a few years to learn all the tricks and things.

The same thing I can say for Playstation 4, it looks better. I dont like their controller though, even with its new touch sensitive slidy-zoomy thing it now has.

You cant play older games on the consoles as they are not backwards compatible....so if you lost out on playing all the big hits from the last generation you cant catch up...which is crap. In fact that means if people upgrade they have to ditch all their super expensive over priced console games and start all over again.....shit!!

God, I just realised why I love PC's even more, I have loads of old games and I can still play them. Also I can MOD them to be even better or bring graphics up to date.

In the long run I think a PC is much much cheaper then consoles and you can have way more fun with the games, which is the whole point if playing them...duh!......scratch my first comment....get him to buy a PC.

Waffenak said:

I also have to make choice whether to buy atari jaguar with cd, sega mega cd or amiga cd32 as next retro console to my collection. Hmm tough choices to make...

JagCD looks like a toilet, it's the obvious winner.

Technician said:

PC upgrade.

All I need now is a more powerful GPU. But right now its unnecessary, because I'm already playing my PC games, at max or near max graphic settings.

Ok, so, I didn't really read the OP the first time, but now that I have, here's an honest answer between the two:

PS4. AND a Vita/or, wait about six months and look into VitaTV. I say this with quite a bit of confidence, and here's why:

Sony is adopting a very friendly attitude towards the recent indy gaming explosion by making the development and self-publishing tools and resources easily available to the indy developers. What this means is that soon we're going to see all of the best indy games show up on the PS Network.

Microsoft tries to make it seem they're also indy friendly, but the process for publishing on XBL is a nightmare for even the bigger developers. If any of you ever wondered why the XBL version of Minecraft never gets updated, it's because of the painful submission process Microsoft has for updates as well as the fact that they charge a fee to the company for all but the most urgent, gamebreaking bugfixes.

On the flip side, Sony is not only making it easy for the indy devs to publish their stuff on PSN, but have even been loaning out devkits to the little guys to get them started. Once the games have been approved to go up on PSN, the devs have all the freedom they wish to choose their own price points and update as they please. On top of that, ther's the "crossbuy" ability on PSN where you can get a game that has both PS3/PS4/Vita versions and the devs/publishers can choose to allow you access to all versions of the game if they choose.

Add the Vita to the mix and with the remote play you can play your PS4 games on a tiny screen anywhere in the house, including on the shitter.

Then there's VitaTV, which will be out next year. It's essentially an Ouya but with the Vita's existing library and Sony's monster corporate backing.

Oh, also, Sony bought the company called Gaikai; an on-demand game streaming service not unlike onLive--and surely not long after Sony gets the streaming servers up, most if not all of their entire back catalog of nearly two decades of games should be available to play at any time from a PS4.

Not to mention, for just $50 a year for PS+ you can get a free AAA title game every month, and weekly freebies. I just got Hotline Miami for free, as well as Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, on top of about 15 other free games they have available on PSN for PS+ right now. Probably best $50 you're going to spend all year.

So while for most of us, PC is the best platform for gaming, if we're going to address what's the most reasonable choice for the next generation, I honestly have to say PS4 with absolutely no hesitation. The price is right for the specs, and the availability of good titles should be attractive enough to someone who has been out of the loop for a while.

</end advertisment>

If I had to choose, PS4. I'm sorry, but Microsoft is a money greedy company. I've had both the 360 and PS3 and enjoyed them, but I played the 360 most because of the online fun I had. But now, looking at the Xbox One and all the planned features, it just sucks. Microsoft's original plans sucked so much ass and made gamers angry that they had to change a lot of the original features (ex. Always connected online if you're ever going to play a game). It just shows that Microsoft is weak, and Sony actually knows what gamers want. So that's why I'm staying with PC.

lol.

I'd say both Sony and Microsoft are money greedy multinational corporations but when it comes down to it, Sony has slightly more respect for their customers. For one, they don't refer to them as 'consumers' in press releases, and they don't pull shit just to see if they can get away with it, assuming that if they fuck up and piss people off, they can simply backpedal to juuuust barely enough, and people will go right back to consuming their product like nothing happened.

Microsoft really showed their true colours at E3, and I hope it hurts them in the wallet hard this coming console generation. I like competition, and I liked the 360, but that shit was right egregious.

Honestly I think they should have kept the game sharing platform they were talking about. The "once a day check in" requirement was bullshit though.

But honestly if there was one thing they should have backpedaled on and changed, is the fucking name. Of all the names they could have chosen, Xbox One really tested well in their focus groups? Frankly, though, I'm about 99.999999% certain they didn't even bother with focus groups before they did their keynote.

On the bright side, there was one tweet from one of the higher-ups that said that calling it "Xbone" was disrespectful to the people who put their time and heart into deciding the console's future. So the clear thing to do is to never ever call it anything but The XBone henceforth.