Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RichardDS90

Doom 64 TC and Doom 64 Ex.

Just a question for you all, which do you prefer, the faithfulness of Doom 64 Ex, or do you believe the extra stuff like the monsters and maps make up for the drop in accuracy in the TC??

Someone needs to remake the TC-exclusive maps for EX already. :P

*doesn't volunteer* D:

The new maps and monsters in the TC are nice, but I dislike the Doomsday effects that are still present. I'll take faithfulness over flashiness any day, especially when the TC looks worse.

Xaser said:

*doesn't volunteer* D:

That would be really good for Ex. I'm sure other people have said the same.

Dragonsbrethren said:

The new maps and monsters in the TC are nice, but I dislike the Doomsday effects that are still present. I'll take faithfulness over flashiness any day, especially when the TC looks worse.

Yeah I can't stand the Doomsday effects either, though admittedly, it's only been useful for Lost Souls when they are behind a wall, but still, not exactly great for trying to emulate Doom 64. I don't know what to think of the TC's Unmaker...

Xaser said:

*doesn't volunteer* D:

+1

I have never got to grips with mapping but I really wish some of the talented guys around these parts would make something of this amazing 'port'... *crosses fingers in vain...*

I was never a huge fan of the TC. I appreciated what it was trying to do, but it never felt right. (And the fact that the version I played all those years ago had busted autoaim, which forced me to use mouselook to kill stuff above/below me, made it feel even less authentic.) And while it did have new monsters, they were basically just beefed-up palette swaps of existing ones, as far as I can recall.

EX is a genuine port of Doom 64, right down to being able to use the original game's passwords (I think). It's basically made the TC obsolete. The only thing that interests me about the TC these days is that add-on pack of new levels that I can't remember the name of right now.

EX kicks ass. I was totally floored the first time I played it, being unsure how of faithful a port to PC could be. I did like the TC, but it did feel a bit off due to the nature and limits of Doomsday. I would like to see the TC exclusive levels appear in EX at some point - that'd be awesome.

Xaser said:

*doesn't volunteer* D:

I actually got started on this some time ago, up until my hard drive died on me. Maybe I should begin it again...

In my opinion, I easily prefer Ex over the TC, but like the others have said, the extras are good in the TC, but the effects just feel so unneeded, as for the Unmaker, I prefer the original, the shots look a bit cooler and fire so stupidly fast at 3 demon keys.

So far, I've successfully recreated Nukage Facility for Doom 64 EX.
Obviously the game lacks the extra Nightmare monsters, so I've had to improvise with their normal counterparts.

You can download it here.

I'm currently in the midst of testing and finishing up Forbidden Deeper. Not sure what to do about the vertical darts, since D64EX has no such equivilent to replace them with... I'll figure something out.

footman said:

Not sure what to do about the vertical darts, since D64EX has no such equivilent to replace them with... I'll figure something out.

Crushing pillars, maybe?

Piper Maru said:

Has anyone ever made reloading animations for both of the shotguns?

In fairness, if you look closely at the pickup sprite for the single-barreled shotgun in Doom 64, there looks to be a barrel band over the forearm of the shotgun, meaning it's probably not pump-action and maybe lever-action instead. In that case, the limited cocking animation makes some sense, as all the action is out of the player's view.

Of course, that still doesn't explain the super shotgun's magical reloading, or why both guns are seemingly floating, not being held by any hands. Still, without having the original 3D models on hand, making new reloading animations that are faithful to the original Doom 64 weapons' appearances would be quite difficult. This isn't like the smooth weapons animation mod for the original Doom games, where it's adding in-between frames to make old animations more fluid. This is building entirely new animations from scratch.

Piper Maru said:

Has anyone ever made reloading animations for both of the shotguns?

Yes, thanks to Cage

Can't say they're perfect. Then again, they're probably no worse than usual MS Paint edits for classic Doom, which everyone got used to.

I can't really say since I've only tried out Doom 64 EX. Once I try out the TC, I'll give my input.

footman said:

So far, I've successfully recreated Nukage Facility for Doom 64 EX.
Obviously the game lacks the extra Nightmare monsters, so I've had to improvise with their normal counterparts.

You can download it here.

I'm currently in the midst of testing and finishing up Forbidden Deeper. Not sure what to do about the vertical darts, since D64EX has no such equivilent to replace them with... I'll figure something out.

When I try to run it in the latest Doom64 EX, it crashes when I try to start a new game.

buttspit said:

When I try to run it in the latest Doom64 EX, it crashes when I try to start a new game.

Augh. I'm not sure what the cause is, but sometimes when I save it, the wad makes the game crash.

Here, this should work.

Sorry about that!

buttspit said:

Still a problem with it, crashes in the same way.

I have no idea what's going on with this wad. It's completely random with its crashes. Sometimes it runs, sometimes it crashes. I'll send it to Kaiser, maybe he can figure this out.