Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Magnetick

Doom, The Roguelike Successor Announced

Nice. DoomRL is pretty close to being the most awesome RL I've ever played (Dreadmor might just beat it out for me), so I trust they know what they're doing.

Sadly I just played Dreadmor yesterday. It got boring pretty quick. If its a 3D Roguelike, that should have my interest. I just can't get into the ASCII games.

I'd like to have a FTL like Doom game.

Nicee... I liked the first one and waiting eagerly for this sequel. Running in the corridors blasting shotgun all night long

Considering that ASCII or tile based roguelikes leave most of the action up to your imagination, I'd consider them far more exciting than a lot of the graphical roguelikes I've played. DoomRL is about the best in that regard; so many "OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE I SURVIVED THAT" moments.

Nomad said:

Considering that ASCII or tile based roguelikes leave most of the action up to your imagination, I'd consider them far more exciting than a lot of the graphical roguelikes I've played. DoomRL is about the best in that regard; so many "OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE I SURVIVED THAT" moments.

There was a discussion thread not long ago on ChaosForge's Facebook page, and I can't remember why, but it gave me some hope for their take on a roguelike with modern graphics. The fact that Doomrl was so good, even by roguelike standards, is probably biasing me somewhat.

Really, I don't see any reason why they couldn't pack in as much detail (gameplay-wise) as they did in Doomrl, as long as they don't go crazy working on the graphics. Actually, on that note, they're looking for help (initially unpaid) with 'concept art, low-poly 3D, UI, and webdesign.' Even "extreme part-time" is acceptable, apparently, so it that sounds interesting to you, you might want to check 'em out, or forward that link around to other, potentially interested parties.

Not sure if you'd have to be in Poland to help up out, but frankly they sound desperate for artists in that post.

Being that DoomRL's my favorite roguelike, I'm really excited for this. To me, DoomRL felt like an action game, despite being a turn based strategy game.

Magnetick said:

To me, DoomRL felt like an action game, despite being a turn based strategy game.

That's what makes it so amazing. Even if it wasn't based on something I was already fond of, it'd probably be my favorite RL. If this "sequel" is even equally as good it'll probably be awesome.