Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaviro

Old DOOM in the new DOOM. (UPDATE III)

This is the thread for collecting whatever you saw/heard/fealt from the old DOOM in the new DOOM.

(Maonth)
1. There was the old floor4_8 floor texture somewhere in the base.
2. The death sound of the hell knight is heard when battling the IMP.
3. The UAC sign is placed throughout the base.
(dsm)
4. The new helmet isn't totally different from the old helmet.
5. the shotgun looks similar to the old one.
6. There's an old stair texture in the new game (forgive me, but I don't know the name of that texture) - just pay attention to the non-metal grated stairs.
7. The pistol actually looks somewhat similar to the old one (not immediately similar, but it has some aspects which seem similar).
8. The new pinky "feels" like the old one in regards to sounds and toughness.

What hellspawn/monsters made it into DOOM III..

Zombie guy: Yes
Shotgun guy: Has yet to be seen
Heavy Weapons Dude: Yes
Imp: Yes
Demon: Yes
Lost Soul: Yes
Spectre: Has yet to be seen
Revenant: As far as we know, yes
Pain Elemental: Has yet to be seen
Mancubus: Has yet to be seen
ArchVile: Has yet to be seen
Arachnotron: maybe...
Hell knight: Drooly
Baron of hell: Birdman?
CacoDemon: Has yet to be seen
CyberDemon: Has yet to be seen
Spider MasterMind: maybe...

Weapons:

Brass knuckles(fist): Who knows?
Chainsaw: As far as we know, yes
Pistol: Yes (Pirate blaster 2000/funky pirate gun)
Shotgun: Yes
Super Shotgun: Has yet to be seen
Chaingun: most likely. The commandoes use them
Rocket Launcher: Has yet to be seen
Plasma rifle: Has yet to be seen
BFG: As far as we know, yes

They have canned some weapons and replaced them with new, but what weapons could those be?

My guess:

Super Shotgun
Plasma rifle

New weapons:

Assault rifle

Levels/Locations: The gothic theme has, most likely, been dropped. A good thing, IMO. It just doesn't fit in with the sci-fi story. It seems that the game will take place in a UAC base on mars and in hell. We are still waiting for more info on the location subject, tho.

I think the amount of enemies on screen was very good.
It's not too much different from the original DooM, well.. Except for those 'you against 30 Pinkies and Imps'-levels..
I'm so excited since I saw the 11-minute movie a couple of minutes ago. I'll keep looking for more Old Doomness in the new Doom.

1. The new helmet isn't totally different from the old helmet.
2. the shotgun looks similar to the old one.
3. There's an old stair texture in the new game (forgive me, but I don't know the name of that texture) - just pay attention to the non-metal grated stairs.
4. The pistol actually looks somewhat similar to the old one (not immediately similar, but it has some aspects which seem similar).
5. The new pinky "feels" like the old one in regards to sounds and toughness.

If there were some more zombie soldiers rather than all those civies (preferably shotgun guys), I'm sure they'd remind me of the old zombie soldiers - the "whip soldier" wears army pants and has that plate between his legs (look carefully at the old zombies and you'll notice a dark green, rounded object between their legs), and in the screenshots, all zombies show their teeth (which are now sharp and pointy) and have blood-like filth around their mouths.

Okay, I'd just like to point out one the most major point from old doom in the new doom, cuz' im about to go out to dinner :)

i sincerely wish that id bios will bring back some of the oldschool doom features/movements in the new doom, and develop more new individual playing techniques of its own, totally off of quake. Wallrunning might seem very hard to archeive in this since the walls in the new game are supposed to be a lot more detailed than b4.

Shaviro said:

3. The UAC sign is placed throughout the base.

Possibly. From this shot we can most certain clearly see "XLA6" and "B2" on the wall. This probably might resemble as something else new and different.

Slightly off-topic: The "afterglow's Mum" critter kinda reminds me of the Q1 Shambler - just look at how it kills the player in the end of the demo.

To those who haven't seen the video: It raises both its clawed hands over its head and slashes downward - like the shamblers sometimes do.

On topic: There's a chaingun, although it doesn't resemble the old one much.

999cop said:

Possibly. From this shot we can most certain clearly see "XLA6" and "B2" on the wall. This probably might resemble as something else new and different.

You mean "XLAB".

dsm said:

Good. Because that slow-assed rate of fire now fits the rifle.

Oh, and on retrospective, here's an easter egg from Quake II (as someone pointed out down at VE)

Just for the heck of it I reloaded Quake 2, in the intro one of the news reporters says something to the effect of "Contact with the colony on Mars will be re-established and has nothing to do with the mysterious alien contact..." hehe

I never really linked that to Doom. heh.

Zaldron said:

You mean "XLAB".

dunno, it's too blurry to confirm

It's the same character as the one in "B2".

Besides, a "6" in that font wouldn't have a union between the top stripe and the middle one.

999cop said:

dunno, it's too blurry to confirm

I can confirm that it's "XLAB" for you.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dsm said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good. Because that slow-assed rate of fire now fits the rifle.

I wasn't talking about its fire rate, I was talking about its looks.
The fire rate seems fast although I couldn't really get an idea on how fast it was.
Hell, did you really think I was so weird as to hope that the chaingun would work EXACTLY like the old one in regards to firing rate?
/Me shakes head and smiles at Zaldron

I think the "I smell fear" sounds kinda retarded. A darker and less cramped voice would be better there...

Fredrik said:

I think the "I smell fear" sounds kinda retarded. A darker and less cramped voice would be better there...

Heh, my first reaction was like: "WHAT!??? The Doom 3 monsters can TALK??? What kind of shit is THAT!?"
But then I remembered that those were former humans and it would actually make sense to make them able to talk, (as long as we don't experience actual idle talk, like "Ugh, Mother has assigned me FIVE hours of guard duty, when I'd rather be munching on corpses" :-P)
Heh.

Ugh, Mother has assigned me FIVE hours of guard duty, when I'd rather be munching on corpses

Rofl

dsm said:

Heh, my first reaction was like: "WHAT!??? The Doom 3 monsters can TALK??? What kind of shit is THAT!?"
But then I remembered that those were former humans and it would actually make sense to make them able to talk, (as long as we don't experience actual idle talk, like "Ugh, Mother has assigned me FIVE hours of guard duty, when I'd rather be munching on corpses" :-P)
Heh.

WHY NOT"#¤?&32+45 THAT WOULD ROCK#!%¤ :)
Who is their mother?

Shaviro said:

This is the thread for collecting whatever you saw/heard/fealt from the old DOOM in the new DOOM...
...Hell knight: Birdman?
Baron of hell: Birdman?

i think that comparing those two is a long-shot :P

I think neither Birdman nor Drooly is the new BoH. Did it struck your mind that these monsters may be new?

Fredrik said:

I think neither Birdman nor Drooly is the new BoH. Did it struck your mind that these monsters may be new?

yes. That is why i put a '?' after it.

Shaviro said:

Who is their mother?

Hehe, that was something I had from a Quake1 machinima movie called "Seal of Nehahra". In that movie all the grunts and Enforcers (Quake's version of former humans) babble about how "Mother wants NO survivors" - they're referring to Shub Niggurath.

I just thought: "Who says there aren't female demon overlords?" ;-)

Heh, the mysterious conspirator voice, coupled with those creepy beepings reminded me of SHODAN.

there is confirmation about the return of revenant in the interview some where.

[edit] here [/edit]

Although id was reluctant to elaborate further on the type of enemies that will be faced, it did say that the Revenant will be making an appearance, along with many, many new monsters.

1. There was the old 'metal1' floor texture somewhere in the base.

METAL1 is not a floor texture. FLOOR4_8 is, however.

Fredrik said:

METAL1 is not a floor texture. FLOOR4_8 is, however.

Floor4_8 has been in most of their games since Doom. A few other doom flats got brownified and put into Quake, I think tiled wood flats were one of them.

Lüt said:

A few other doom flats got brownified and put into Quake, I think tiled wood flats were one of them.

Yeah. And that rock texture that was also in Wolfenstein 3D.