Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Spelunky/Rogue/OSX Terminal

Anyone play Spelunky? After I was inspired by playing through the tremendous and legendary Commander Keen in Episode 58: The Ruin of Roib, I thought maybe there were other games out there with as much spark and promise. So I looked into this after I saw it in a trailer for someone's game review youtube channel. Anyone play it? It looks like something I'd like to try out, but will be tricky to get it to play on a Mac. Maybe it's time I get parallels or something like it.

There's that "roguelike" word dropped again. (I still don't know what "roguelike" means :-/

EDIT: This has elements of flash Mining games I played recently! Wow, looking very much like something I would like. Aside from Ruin of Roib, it's been a long time since I've played a game that I really enjoyed through to the end.

I played the free version for a little. The new one looks nice, but I'm not it's something I'd play much anymore. Having gotten most of the goals the game has to offer, I don't find myself too interested in it. The daily challenge thing is a cool idea though.

It was quite a fun game while it was fresh, and the new HD version does look quite nice.

Roguelike originally referred to top-down dungeon crawlers with crude text graphics. The defining features include random level generation, and permanent death. Some people get hung up on definitions but any game these days that makes use of randomness and perma-death is typically called a roguelike. Sometimes games that use those features but play much differently than a typical dungeon crawler get called roguelike-likes, but I think that's kind of unnecessary as a term these days.

I've played this on xbox live and promptly forgot about it till today. I don't really see the rogue connection. When people say 'roguelike' what they mean is 'XP system, random level generation and shoving unicorn horns up your ass as a cure for aids'

@ is the hero of our age.

Bucket said:

What we're gonna do right here is go back.
Way back, back in time.

And a modern take.

Thanks for posting the video Bucket! Now to figure out how to download this archaic piece of history....
@ rf' -that looks more like doom than anything else, except as a tds instead of an fps.

I found the original Rogue for Mac's Terminal. Game is pretty easy to get the hang of. I made it to level 4 and got my HP up to 31 and found 461 gold. Then I accidentally saved the game when I was looking for secret passages (still haven't found one). After I saved the game, the game went away. I typed in a command line to load the game in terminal but it said "access denied" any ideas?

ProBook$ /Users/ProBook/Downloads/rogue-1980-osx/rogue36 jake1

EDIT: I'm in the shell and I've figured out how to navigate to folders (just like in DOS). But I can't figure out how to run the rogue program. I tried exec rogue36 but it says command not found. Thanks for any helps. :) I am in the folder with the rogue program file and the jake1 save file.

EDIT: I found a two handed sword early on on like level 2 or something. That sword took me far! All the way to level 14. The I got slain by a troll.

Hellbent said:

EDIT: I'm in the shell and I've figured out how to navigate to folders (just like in DOS). But I can't figure out how to run the rogue program. I tried exec rogue36 but it says command not found

Does ./rogue36 work?