Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RichardDS90

Doom 64 TC and Doom 64 Ex.

Nice, now they work.

But I found a bug in Nukage Facility. In the room with the floor that drops (nearby the stairway leading to the yellow key), after you drop down and open the door down there, the wall switch's texture is misaligned (if that's the right word) and is non-functional. So we're stuck down there unless we cheat.

EDIT: And Forbidden Deeper crashes the game, too, heh.

Thanks for the bug reports. They've been fixed. Sorry for the inconveniences, guys!
Also, I'm using 2.3 for testing these. If anything, earlier versions would make it worse.

Downloads:
Nukage Facility
Forbidden Deeper

They -should- be fully functional now.

Again, sorry about the issues.

I wish there was a way to copy the neutral reset of the N64 controller because there are so many trigger skips and key grabs that don't seem to be possible on EX.

Has there been any progress on (reliable) Doom 64 editors? I've learned the idiosyncrasies, but I'm tired of my hours of mapping getting munched by the editors available. Not trying to sound like an ingrate, but it's frustrating.

Good job :)

But one problem is the sky texture, which is now an array of the infamous "I suck at making maps" message.

Also, I just recently realized that Forbidden Deeper is VERY familiar to another EX custom map I played 1 or 2 years ago. Almost to the point that they may be the same, so someone might have converted it before. I don't remember which it is and since I have a shitload of custom maps for ex, it'll take some time to see if I have it.
EDIT: Nah, just poor memory. The level in question, the mort, is just very similar but not the same.

Hey Buttspit, would you be so kind as to upload your "shitload" of custom maps please. Ever since Kaiser closed the old forum there's been nowhere to find all the maps that were put up there. It might also bring a bit more interest to the port itself if the maps were shared here. :)

Yeah, sure. When I get to the PC that has them, I'll put them up in an edit of this post (or a new one, if there are replies).

Doom 64 Ex had its own forum (it does again, now, but with invisionfree instead of the sourceforge forum) and many people posted maps there. In addition, several EX maps were released at the brdoom forums in contests.

Anyway, here it is: http://speedy.sh/PS5Uv/d64exmaps.7z

Note that since there's a lot, I didn't filter map updates or the tutorial wads, but they're a minority anyway.

Yeah, but people should be uploading to the archive anyway. The archive is mirrored and backed up regularly. I hate the thought of these maps being hosted out lousy free hosting sites that'll randomly delete them one day, or go under entirely. Not to mention I don't have to check any forums to get them.

(And, of course, none of these maps in this archive come with text files, so who knows if we've got permission to redistribute them or not. Otherwise I'd just upload them myself.)

Dragonsbrethren said:

Yeah, but people should be uploading to the archive anyway. The archive is mirrored and backed up regularly. I hate the thought of these maps being hosted out lousy free hosting sites that'll randomly delete them one day, or go under entirely. Not to mention I don't have to check any forums to get them.

(And, of course, none of these maps in this archive come with text files, so who knows if we've got permission to redistribute them or not. Otherwise I'd just upload them myself.)

The ones in the pack that come with a text file are already in the /idgames archives, but I downloaded them before they were put there and when it was just the WAD alone (ie, at the other forums). The rest were uploaded just like that, as WADs without text files; some even are from youtube video description links.

As far as uploading to /idgames, there are a lot of Doom forums out there that release maps/mods that never get uploaded to the archives. I guess they just don't bother for whatever reason.

Ah, didn't realize some did get uploaded, I guess those were during my time away from Doom and I didn't notice them. Fair enough, I'd definitely be encouraging everyone to upload to the archive, though.

Thanks for the upload. Many links were dead even before the forum was closed.

Some of those maps are unfinished drafts, as far as I remember.

So there are some Ex maps I was missing... I know who the authors are for a number of maps in that upload. Should I list them?

I haven't posted my maps from buttspit's upload (Madhouse, Permutations of Hell) here or on idgames because I found out that Ex suffers from Doom 2's lost soul demo desync bug, and I'd be interested in seeing FDAs of them. Permutations in particular has non linear parts so I'd be very interested in seeing what paths players choose and how they react to things. I do have a version (not quite finished) where all routes should be much more balanced but I wasn't planning to release it until the demo bug is fixed.

Played the compilation WAD. Having never played the original TC levels, I can't say how they compare, but I enjoyed myself. Still a few issues however:

-In Crisis, the sector 85 secret is completely empty on the easy skill.

-Shadows Watching is unbeatable on any skill below "I Own Doom!" Once you cross line 2099 and trigger the bars that rise up and lock you in, you are trapped forever on the lowest skills. I'm not particularly versed in how Doom 64 operates, but I think it's because the sole hell knight (thing 493) that spawns there on the easy skills is missing its "Trigger On Death" flag.

Thanks for compiling this footman. It's nice to have a mapset to play through rather than just individual maps. :)

I've been playing through that collection of EX maps posted earlier. Bleeding Terror has probably been the best one so far. Of course, I've been playing them in alphabetical order, and that's been the first map that's actually complete, not a test or example map, and doesn't have a bad case of `94 map syndrome. (I'm looking at you, Arthurkun2.wad.)

You know what I've realized while playing through these maps? I love Doom 64's bestiary. It's really great to play through these levels knowing I won't have to ever deal with a giant squad of chaingunners, revenants or arch-viles tearing me to pieces in three seconds. And the mother demon is just generally a better, more dangerous boss than the spiderdemon ever was.

Though, I guess someone could throw a whole room of mother demons at me and ruin the fun....

I went and wrote short reviews for every single WAD in that archive and graded them so people could cut through the junk and get right to the good stuff. But I'm not sure if anyone would actually be interested in reading this giant post with 35 reviews in it.

I was just thinking the other day that it would be nice if there were reviews for all those maps, especially due to the fact most probably won't ever end up on idgames and so won't be reviewed here.

Putting it all in one post wouldn't be a good way of doing it but there must be some way to put that up in a more digestible fashion.

I find it pretty interesting at how I was asking which is better between the two ports and it's gone in a different direction, not that it is bad or anything, but it's pretty much one sided now with the new maps. :D

sector666 said:

I was just thinking the other day that it would be nice if there were reviews for all those maps, especially due to the fact most probably won't ever end up on idgames and so won't be reviewed here.

Putting it all in one post wouldn't be a good way of doing it but there must be some way to put that up in a more digestible fashion.

Well, if anyone's got any ideas, I'm all ears.

And if we're discussing which port is best, EX wins by default, since Absolution is just a glorified mod.

My best idea would be to make a new thread for Doom 64 map reviews, reserve the first post as something like a table of contents, and spread the reviews out through a number of posts. That would be a valid reason to do some extensive double posting I would think, especially on the Doom 64 forum. Although for more people to see it it probably wouldn't hurt to do it on Doomworld too.