Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavageCorona

ATTENTION ALL YE ENGLANDERS FOR A GREAT STORM APPROACHES!

A massive storm is going to hit the south of England all the way up to the midlands with 80mph winds and between 20-40mm (0.8-1.6in) of water will rain down upon us all. Read about it on the BBC website.

Bye folks. It's been a pleasure Dooming.

gusts of up to 80 mph (120 kph), or possibly higher on exposed coasts.

All I've got is a moderate breeze right now, and the wind speed to cap at 30mph at about 11pm tonight.
Greetings from the south of England. Right next to an exposed coast.

It's not expected to be as bad as the 1987 storm. Nonetheless, let us know if Merrie Olde England runs aground on the coast of Normandy.

Eris Falling said:

All I've got is a moderate breeze right now, and the wind speed to cap at 30mph at about 11pm tonight.

It supposedly starts at 5pm, with the rain starting at 4.

SavageCorona said:

A massive storm is going to hit the south of England all the way up to the midlands with 80mph winds and between 20-40mm (0.8-1.6in0

80mph gusts are pretty bad, enough to knock a person down easily, but an inch or so of rain is pretty paltry. We had a couple storms like that roll through this summer. Tend to get a lot more rain, but that's mostly tornado weather anyhow.

SavageCorona said:

A massive storm... south of England

Meh, it all depends what you are used to. I'm not saying that it will be nice weather but a storm like that isn't even so unusual further north in the UK and other parts of the world regularly have far worse.

Well I love you too, darknation.

I don't know about you Eris, but I'm still alive, barely a gust of wind and some dribble came by me and I'm supposedly in the worst area.

Enjay said:

Meh, it all depends what you are used to. I'm not saying that it will be nice weather but a storm like that isn't even so unusual further north in the UK and other parts of the world regularly have far worse.

It's the worst storm to hit England in about 30 years, or it would be if I were dead right now. I think their calculations were wrong, off or just lied.

Enjay said:

Yeah, hurricanes in the Caribbean are far worse than that, but I'm guessing the cold weather in the North Atlantic is an important factor too. Not to mention the Monsoon.

Zed said:

Yeah, hurricanes in the Caribbean are far worse than that, but I'm guessing the cold weather in the North Atlantic is an important factor too. Not to mention the Monsoon.

I'm not saying that it has to be particularly extreme, nor that such weather is to be ignored. I'm merely saying that a storm of this (predicted) magnitude is actually not that special in many places (even places not too far from the south of England) and, in those places, would be the kind of weather that would be experienced a number of times a year without causing any great consternation.

Eris Falling said:

Windows: Dry
Sound of wind: No.

*leaves storm shelter*

It rained pretty heavily just now but not for a long enough time to flood the area. Looks like I'm still alive.

It's raining a little bit in Frusli bar town and we've had a slight wind but the wind isn't as bad over here as it was a few weeks back.

Theres a storm brewing in the horizon... It will hit north Europe with windspeed of 40m/s in its worst state.

Waffenak said:

There's a storm brewing on the horizon... It will hit north Europe with windspeed of 40m/s in its worst state.

There's a stormy wind brewing where I'm sitting right now but that's about it other than that, it's not been too windy if I'm honest it's just been a slight gust every now and then.

I'm in Shropshire - right on the edge of the storm's predicted path. This typically being the most boring and uneventful part of the country, weather-wise, I doubt if I'll have anything update you on.

Attention all ye scurvy dogs, The long lost ghost of Long John Silver the 13th is coming to avenge his untimely demise by burying you all in a 100ft Tsunami of Haggis! xD

I have no idea with regards to this rumour nonsense, I'm in the North West so it'd explain why I haven't seen a tint of anything. Good anyway, maybe it'll get rid of the Plebians and primitive masses who are a waste to mankind and a nuisance.

DooMAD said:

Heh.

7 was used as a joke picture for the damage done by a magnitude 2.2 earthquake that hit Cornwall a couple of years ago.
I remember it being all over the regional news and people on there making a massive deal over it.
I also remember thinking that any Californians over here at the time must've been laughing at us.

My patio window got smashed by a stone!....bugger!!!

Though it was not particularly windy when it happened and im pretty sure the wind would have to be pretty damn strong to lift a stone up and smash my re-inforced double glazed window.....A tornado maybe? I didnt see one and the news didnt report anything, me thinks the kids across the road by the college may have been up to no good.....why the little -arrkkk *strangles kids by throat Simpsons style*

Eris Falling said:

7 was used as a joke picture for the damage done by a magnitude 2.2 earthquake that hit Cornwall a couple of years ago.
I remember it being all over the regional news and people on there making a massive deal over it.
I also remember thinking that any Californians over here at the time must've been laughing at us.

I think that came from the Virginia earthquake a few months earlier. While a bit stronger, it was just as much of a joke.

Heh, apparently they measured 61mph winds at the Navy base 15 or so miles away.
My arse they did. Bet a helicopter took off and the resulting draft hit the sensor.

To my British friends, look on the bright side. With the storm brewing, you won't have to worry about any Spanish armadas.

I live in NJ, and experienced Hurricane Sandy, which was the biggest in centuries. It was also the second costliest in U.S. history; $65 billion. Katrina is at first, with $108 billion in damages. My power was out for five days, and it took almost a week to get all of the traffic lights up and running. Imagining navigating one of the most congested places in the United States, with no traffic lights, signals, or road lighting? I have to admit, it was pretty fun. Also, many people drove responsibly. There was also a big gas shortage during that time. I remember being on the line for over an hour, only to be turned away. The police decided to take over the gas station, and prioritize the fuel for emergency vehicles. There was also some looting in larger cities. Also cases of people trying to steal gas, as well as generators. Some people even died from misusing their generators, and accidentally filled their homes with deadly emissions. A lot of fires were caused as well, because of people leaving candles unattended. I remember seeing a lot of National Guard vehicles and troops stationed on the streets. The whole experience was an eye opener, as to how quick society can breakdown. I think if the power-outage, and gas shortage, lasted longer, like a year; the area would become barbaric. I hope it doesn't get that bad for you guys.

Enjay said:

He may be a footballer

I take it you don't like football or footballers too then?

ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL

Uh-oh.

Enjay said:

He may be a footballer but at least this amused me. :P

It made me chuckle until I noticed that it was Gary who typed it and that he of course played for Twattenham.