Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

E1M5 Song suspense

With MIDI instruments, you can never be too sure. In classis OPL2/Adlib renditions of the song, you hear a low-volume, high-pitched held note, nothing like a dop yielping. No idea what MIDI sound it's supposed to be though.

However, the E1M5 song always reminded me of Captured:

Eris Falling said:

That's normal. The GM instrument is "Guitar Fret Noise"

I guess its just a fret noise then.

But call it a coincident or not but in the xbla version its replaced by literally a dog like howl.

Though I think I maby think a bit to hard, lol.

I just found some youtube video of E1M5 being played on XBLA, and I think the only thing I can think of is that the default MIDI synth on XBox is different to a PC: It's actually the same instrument.

The original sound is most likely intended to be a howling wolf/demon though, but with the limitations of MIDI, using an extraordinarily low note for a certain instrument - in this case the Guitar fret noise playing C2* - can give off a similar effect.

*C2 is the low E string of a guitar tuned down to drop C. Also 2 octaves under middle C, or ~65Hz. More on scientific pitch notation here

XBLA uses the default GUS patches. While they're higher quality than the GM.DLS instruments in Windows, MIDIs tend to sound "off" with them. It's just the nature of the format and the fact that pretty much everything was written for a Sound Canvas.

Without researching it or having any real evidence, I'd always assumed that it was meant to sound like a guitar fret noise. That always intrigued me because I knew it hadn't been played on a guitar, yet there was a noise in it that I didn't really expect to be in a midi instrument bank because it's just the noise you might make (often accidentally) when you switch from one chord to another - although of course such a noise can be (and often is) made deliberately.

AFAIK GUS patches are sample-based, and I doubt the patch for guitar fret noise covers anywhere close to C2. Which means you're getting a guitar fret noise played back pretty slowly, making it sound a bit weird. It's not a literal dog howl.

e: as an example, here's a guitar fret noise from a soundfont I have, first played very low and then sped up x 4. It's not the exact same sound as in that MP2* but you can hear how it's a bit howly.
http://www.mediafire.com/?igblkb7ban76iho

*MP2? How ancient is that sound file? :p

That guitar fret noise sounds really out of place in that track. I've never heard that midi instrument used in a song where it sounded right though.

Maes said:
With MIDI instruments, you can never be too sure. In classis OPL2/Adlib renditions of the song, you hear a low-volume, high-pitched held note, nothing like a dop yielping. No idea what MIDI sound it's supposed to be though.

It's been ages since the last time I played Vanilla Doom, but now that you mention it, yeah, you're right! I just remembered that high pitched note in that part, which is now replaced by that ugly and out of place sound when played back with "modern" MIDI synths.

I want to know what instrument does the "do do da da, do do da da" of the music used in MAP03 of Doom 2.

BaronOfStuff said:

Nope, looking at the MIDI it says "Pad 5 (bowed)".

On D_COUNTD? That's not what I get at all, and besides that's definitely the sound of pizzicato strings.
Doing a quick mus->midi conversion I see a whole bunch of tracks that are (45) Pizzicato Strings, one (32) Acoustic Bass, three (48) strings, and a drum track.